Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel Romance TPB! plus...Marvel Romance Redux: Giffen + Lustig = ! (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Marvel Romance TPB! plus...Marvel Romance Redux: Giffen + Lustig = !
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Gee, I should have checked Teeds' links before I posted!

Can you beLIEVE I owned a practically mint-condition of X-Men # 50 (THAT cover!!) and freakin' SOLD it?!?!?!

I'm STUPID (ALL of me stupid)!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
Have you guys checked out Fantagraphics's Romance Without Tears, a TPB with reprints of 40s/50s St. John romance comics? Good stuff. $15 on Amazon.

Read about it but haven't read it. It's supposed to be "realistic" romance, which could be an interesting contrast.

I'd like to nominate "Kathy's Kooky Kards" (Nutty Notes! Swingin' Stationary! with spelling mistake!) for best Romance Story Business.

Excellent review of MHBIH; Steranko had more going on than I realized in that story.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Crames! That ain't a typo. It's kooky.
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I wasn't sure if they were so devious as to put "stationary" and "swingin'" together as a joke. But if they did it on purpose, it's certainly groovy.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Another Romance Redux ("Restraining Orders are for Other Girls") came out, last week I guess, with more great rewrites of classic romance. Kyle Baker's was especially weird, good weird, but weird. Robert Loring Fleming's was ... drivelicious!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
Got Guys & Dolls & Restraning Orders. Wasn't wowed. The G&D cover was great, but I just don't like the other one.

I've picked up most of I Heart Marvel. It turns out the one I liked most --- the Spidey and MJ one -- was the one I almost didn't get.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I really enjoyed the I HEART MARVELs quite a bit, more than I suspected I would.

Upson reading RESTRAINING ORDERS ARE FOR OTHER GIRLS the first time, I wasn't impressed, but will give it a re-read upon completion of te mini.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I should do more posts in the form of awards ceremonies.

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
MARVEL ROMANCE TPB OSCARS

Actress in a supporting role: Nan from "Patsy's Secret Boyfriend", who helps teach us to always give our friends the benefit of the doubt before we accuse them of being man-hungry sluts!

Actor in a supporting role: Tom from "One Day A Week", who shows us that true love wins out, even if your girlfriend is vaguely dissatisfied, easily fooled and wants to live in the cab of a truck!

Worst hairdo: Sally Rogers from "Give Back My Heart". Good Lord! What the hell was that terrifying mess all about? And you mean she never changed her style in FOUR YEARS?

Most melodramatic splash page: "JILTED!" Y'think it's over? I get the feeling that it IS.

Best artwork: Jim Steranko, for "My Heart Broke in Hollywood". Best Steranko artwork I've ever seen.

Worst pickup line: "You little FOOL!" used by both Whitey in "Jilted" and Art Nelson in "I Want Him-- But He's Hers!"

Biggest Name Screw-Up: "The Dream World of Doris Wilson", in which our heroine is actually named Doris Nelson.

Best original story that was REDUXED: "I Do my Own Thing-- No Matter Whom I Hurts", which was brilliantly reduxed into the hilarious "President Stripper".

Cutest boy: Stephen from "As Time Goes By", as drawn by Gene Colan.

Cutest girl: Kathy, from "Love Isn't In The Cards For Me", as drawn by J. Buscema, J. Romita & F. Giacoia.

Girl that most resembles Teeds: Joellen Jacobs, from "Formula For Love".

best 'FLOATING-HEAD' scene: The splash page of "One Day A Week", where the visage of Tom the trucker looks not unlike it is carved into the mountain like Rushmore!

Actress in a lead role: Jill, from "A Teen-Ager Can Also Love", who teaches us that if we put our own emotional and physical needs aside and focus all our energies on a has-been teen idol, he will again become famous and then years later, marry us.

Actor in a lead role: How can I not give it to Humphrey Bogart, from "As Time Goes By".

Best story: "I Do My Thing-- No Matter Whom It Hurts".

--------------------

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
Perhaps you should.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

It's only fun to do in the romance genre, I'll bet.

--------------------

Leap Year Lord
Right now.

Icon 7 posted      Profile for Leap Year Lord           Edit/Delete Post     
So be it.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

If only there was something coming out to read in the romance genre...

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

-

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

-

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH's back:
MARVEL ROMANCE TPB OSCARS

Actress in a supporting role: Nan from "Patsy's Secret Boyfriend", who helps teach us to always give our friends the benefit of the doubt before we accuse them of being man-hungry sluts!

Actor in a supporting role: Tom from "One Day A Week", who shows us that true love wins out, even if your girlfriend is vaguely dissatisfied, easily fooled and wants to live in the cab of a truck!

Worst hairdo: Sally Rogers from "Give Back My Heart". Good Lord! What the hell was that terrifying mess all about? And you mean she never changed her style in FOUR YEARS?

Most melodramatic splash page: "JILTED!" Y'think it's over? I get the feeling that it IS.

Best artwork: Jim Steranko, for "My Heart Broke in Hollywood". Best Steranko artwork I've ever seen.

Worst pickup line: "You little FOOL!" used by both Whitey in "Jilted" and Art Nelson in "I Want Him-- But He's Hers!"

Biggest Name Screw-Up: "The Dream World of Doris Wilson", in which our heroine is actually named Doris Nelson.

Best original story that was REDUXED: "I Do my Own Thing-- No Matter Whom I Hurts", which was brilliantly reduxed into the hilarious "President Stripper".

Cutest boy: Stephen from "As Time Goes By", as drawn by Gene Colan.

Cutest girl: Kathy, from "Love Isn't In The Cards For Me", as drawn by J. Buscema, J. Romita & F. Giacoia.

Girl that most resembles Teeds: Joellen Jacobs, from "Formula For Love".

best 'FLOATING-HEAD' scene: The splash page of "One Day A Week", where the visage of Tom the trucker looks not unlike it is carved into the mountain like Rushmore!

Actress in a lead role: Jill, from "A Teen-Ager Can Also Love", who teaches us that if we put our own emotional and physical needs aside and focus all our energies on a has-been teen idol, he will again become famous and then years later, marry us.

Actor in a lead role: How can I not give it to Humphrey Bogart, from "As Time Goes By".

Best story: "I Do My Thing-- No Matter Whom It Hurts".

The above is MY SINGLE MOST FAVORITE LW POST I have made of ALL TIME.

Also, Teeds-- you notice a Gene Colan boy won for cutest!!

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.