Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The New Avengers (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The New Avengers
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Am I the only one here who thinks this title absolutely kicks butt? I love this title! The stories are solid and the artwork in the latest issue was fantastic. Never even heard of Steve McNiven, but his pencils are great! This is currently one of my favorite titles. Maybe my standards are slipping? Anyway, loved the personality in the Wrecker, and can't wait till next issue...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake3004, I can see the story telling being the modern aspect of it. Well maybe not modern but certainly different.

I am a fan of Moon Knight and if he becomes a member I think it would be cool. The Avengers never really had a vigilante and I thought MK would have fit that role nicely.

Still won't buy New Avengers mind you. [Wink]

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by lancesrealm:
Never even heard of Steve McNiven, but his pencils are great!

I don't know much about him, but he's been impressing me over in the "Ultimate Secret" mini.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I just officially dropped New Avengers. Issue #7 was my last. The sad thing is, I almost think I might have continued a little longer with the title if Wolverine wasn't in it. I am sorry, but Wolverine has no place in the Avengers. If I wanted to read a book where the Avengers included killers, I would read the Ultimates (oh... wait... I do read the Ultimates [Wink] ) In any case, I have no interest in contributing to Wolverine's takeover of the Marvel Universe any further.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
$#!t. [Mad]

Looks like I -will- be picking up at least a couple issues of this series, after all... [Frown] :

Click for fullsize image

Frank Cho draws Spider- Brandy er...Woman! [Love] [Love] [Love]

I'm such a whore for Cho's art... although I avoid zombie stuff like the plague, including Scooter's much-loved WALKING DEAD, I picked up (and enjoyed!) Cho's ZOMBIE KING... [No]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Again I say:

Click for fullsize image

[Love] [Love] [Love]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Anyone still buying this? The mystery of Ronin is set up nicely with Daredevil as the obvious red herring. Cap's conversation with DD's recommendation might be another red herring. It looks/sounds like he could be talking to Elektra (knows about the hand, the "same training" as DD, a history with Wilson Fisk...), which would make Ronin's identity even more of a mystery if that wasn't him talking to Cap.

I thought that maybe it could be Shang-chi, and it'd be nice to see him in a more prominent role in the Marvel U, but why would a kung-fu guy give himself a name based on Japanese samurai? Perhaps to throw people off? I dunno...

But whoever it is, it looks like he got an arrow right up the butt (among other places) -- ouch!

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I dropped it as well. It killed me to do it, as Avengers was the first book I ever picked up. But I console myself by saying this isnt the same Avengers.

I refuse to buy a book I am getting no pleasure in.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
The past few issues involving the Sentry have been real stinkers. I'll give it awhile longer, though, hoping for the best.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
This had to go and even though I like Spider-Woman and applaud her membership I think Spidey,Wolverine and Luke Cage will never be Avengers in my eyes.

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Drake, while I hate everything NA stands for I read a friends of mine. [Smile]

It has to be DD. When Cap mentions he was once Nomad to DD. Well I just think DD put on a wig and some sunglasses pretended to be someone else. Iron Fist and Shang-Chi are both kung-fu type guys not japanese fighters. Plus both are "nice guys" somewhat. Wolverine and DD are better versed in the Japanese martial arts.

Icefire, I have to agree with thee. I was a fan of Julia Carpenter as Spider-Woman. But Jessica Drew has been growing on me again...don't mind her as an Avenger but Spidey, Wolvie, and Luke Cage really seem forced imo.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004

Ok, so we now know who the Ronin is.

Bleh.

The Spidey diagloue was of course funny as only Bendis can do (with Cage as sparring partner). I have to wonder if Bendis was mouthing internet rumors when he had Spidey mention Iron Fist and Shang-Chi.

I couldn't bring myself to pick up "Wolverine", but Silver Samurai is there too and I only hope the two titles didn't contradict each other.

Bendis continues to pay respect to the Iron Man armor and what it can do. It really seems half the time that the rest of the team is just dragging him down (kinda reminds me a bit of how Green Lantern was portrayed in some silver age issues of "JLA"). Without Thor or Sentry he's definitely the Big Gun of the group.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Well I found out who Ronin is. I'm done with the book now. It really hasn't grabbed me at all. I give it 36 issues, then we will see some major roster changes.
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

So the Ronin mystery even got me to read this asap. I begged a bud to read his and let me borrow it. btw, he also had the anti-climatic feeling I did. I was open to Daredevil or Wolverine as Ronin? Having a big name hero join NA with another identity I thought was kind of cool. You still get the big name hero on the team but it seems less "commercial" or a forced fit.

And I was somewhat hoping for Iron Fist just because it would raise his stock. I'm a big Fist fan.

But this? yeah. So what? The only up side I can see is that she somewhat reminds me of Mantis. Such a odd fit but with the right tweaking it might work out. Speaking of Mantis...I wouldn't mind seeing these two go toe to toe in NA. [Smile]

lancesrealm
amiable

Have we seen the woman who was Ronin before?
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.