Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What's the Worst Comic Out There That You Made the Mistake of Buying (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What's the Worst Comic Out There That You Made the Mistake of Buying
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Alan Grant gets a bad rap? Seriously? Honestly, I've never heard any of that. I'd say his work on Batman is some of my favorite work by any writer on that character, and the magic he and Norm Breyfogle made together specifically is one of the most underrated collaborations in all of comics. In fact neither seems quite as strong alone as they are together! Maybe that's part of it?

In any case I've never felt anything I've read by Alan was anything approaching cringeworthy. I'd say Alan is a similar writer to Roger Stern stylistically and talentwise. I'd say that's high praise!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rtvu2:
Watchmen and Killing Joke are both great books and still relevant today.

Care to elaborate?

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I read Watchmen for the first time just a few years ago. I picked up the trade at the library, and I thought it would be great. I was very, very disappointed. I didn't think much of it at all, and I still don't get why it was held in such high regard.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I was thoroughly blahed by Sinestro's War. Anyone care to defend? I still have the issues. Can anyone give me a reason to re-read?

Not being a great comics historian my opinion is probably bunk but for what it's worth, I think Watchman both filled a want and was and will be relevant.

It was I think the first Marvelisation of DC characters, with the names changed a bit and it was a return of JSA, with the names changed a bit and it was the "newcomers" with the names changed a bit. All these DC "elseworld" graphic novels of their characters in the real world that have been hits, were waiting for permission to be written, permission given by Watchmen.

Cold War and capitalists elements secretly running the real political show will probably always be relevant. Real life will never be about power in the hands of the little people, because "little people" rarely seem to know how to hold on to power for long. Elements of that era particularly were brought to readers that would have been babies during the slow death of the Cold War.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Making sure I hadn't posted in here yet...

Rise of Arsenal #1. Big surprise.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Avengers: X-Sanction #1
(Cable hunts down the Avengers ... bizarro nonsense ... and ridiculously violent)

I read about half ... then skimmed ... saw Cable shoot an imprisoned Captain America in the head (sort of ... the panel went black) ... then put it down, I felt dirty and used, It turned me off the rest of the series and the upcoming X-Men versus Avengers event.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
Ernie Colon's terrible comic called Manimal or something like that. (No connection with the TV show, as it preceded same by several years.) Some American Jewish dude gets werewolf-y superpowers because his parents were experimented on by Nazis or some crap like that. So he kills Nazis who have reintegrated into U.S. society under a new name. In a truly tasteful and Sensitive New Age Anti-Nazi moment, a gorgeous girl stops by Our Hero's apartment long enough to jump in the sack with him (for no apparent reason), and gets gunned down stark naked by a Nazi ten minutes later. (When you're less sensitive and more sadistic than the Bond-verse about the way you're treating women and their sexuality, Ernie Dude, you really need some damn therapy.)

I hope Ernie Colon was thoroughly ashamed of this faux political, utterly useless and shallow, crude piece of garbage. Twenty plus years later, I still wish I could have my two bucks back. Everything about it reeked. And I hope Deni Loubert at Renegade is still thoroughly ashamed of herself for publishing it, too.

[Roll Eyes]

[ March 17, 2012, 06:14 PM: Message edited by: cleome45 ]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
My worst purchase was the entire set of The Invisibles, of which I'd read heaps of accolades. When I saw it on eBay, I went for it - and will never again buy that much stuff unseen. I know some people just loved it, but I thought it was unreadable - and I compounded the error by getting Anarchy for the Masses, which was supposed to explain the whole thing, and which just pissed me off.

I had a similar experience with another Vertigo series. Back in the 90s, I was in my late teens/early 20s and, as people in that age range often do, was trying desperately to be hip, so I bought a bunch of Sandman trades. I hated it. Hated, hated, hated it. I found it so pretentious and so impressed with itself and with so many moments of ugliness for the sake of ugliness and, most of all, so BORING! Ever since then, I've been suspicious of any comic that's labelled "hip," "edgy," or "ground-breaking."
With the exception of Mr. Punch (okay, but not Best GN ever) I have yet to read a single Neil Gaiman work that didn't make me want to bash my own skull in with a 2X4.

[Evil]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
For me:

Justice League: Cry for Justice. Especially at the end where Green Arrow kills Prometheus and says "justice". the whole story is a mess of bad writing.

Blackest Night and Brightest Day: Both went on for far too long.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Youngblood. Pure and simple.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
the Hermit
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for the Hermit   Author's Homepage   Email the Hermit         Edit/Delete Post     
The first issue of Savage Hawkman. After reading it I immediately sent an e-mail to my CBS to take the book off my pull list. Ditto the new Blackhawk book.

--------------------
First comic books ever bought: A DC four-for-47-cents grab bag that included Adventure #331. Been addicted ever since.

From: Stuck in the Psychedelic Era | Registered: Jan 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by cleome45:
With the exception of Mr. Punch (okay, but not Best GN ever) I have yet to read a single Neil Gaiman work that didn't make me want to bash my own skull in with a 2X4.

[Evil]

I think he's one of those writers who's a lot better at self-promotion than at actual writing.

quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Blackest Night

I didn't get past the first issue. I may possibly hate Blackest Night #1 even more than I hate any issue of Sandman. Even the A Game of You arc, which made me physically ill.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
You didn't like "A Game of You"? Can I ask why?

I'm not sounding snide, I'm really curious.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I didn't like it because I felt Gaiman was patronizing toward both women and transwomen, especially the latter. Transwomen have it hard enough without some pretentious writer portraying them as unstable, insecure victims. Also, I hated Thessaly the witch. She's not only transphobic, she's also indirectly responsible for the death of Wanda, but no one ever calls her on it. Granted, that's very realistic, but it's more realism than I'm personally looking for from fantasy comic books.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Look at it this way. Thessaly's a pretty cold, miserable person. She's the last of her people and she's essentially an immortal, and the only time she realizes she may have made a mistake was after she protected the person who put Morpheus's death in gear.

She's kind of like Hank Hill's war veteran dad Cotton on King of the Hill.

Or did I make a skewed observation.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.