Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers) (Page 4)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Welcome back to the fold [Wink]

The series has been excellent, and I really want Whedon on for a 50 issue run! This is the first time ever for me that I can hardly wait for the next issue of an X-Books (I read Claremont's run at clips of 10-20 by having the back issues handy), and I can't handle the anticipation!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Welcome back to the fold [Wink]

As long as it's not one of The Blob's folds...! [Eek!]

And I wouldn't call it a full-blown relationship just yet; Mmmmmaybe a one-book stand... [Wink]

It -does- feel good, though. I missed these guys. My complete run from 131-375 is one of the highlights of my collection, second only to my Legion stuff. It's like Joss read my mind for what made the X-Men great.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Didn't I tell ya about the Wolvie/Petey Fastball Special in #6? Didn't get all choked up? Quite suddenly, this is *my* X-Men again...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
One of the best scenes showing how cool Cyclops *can* be, with the right writer writing him.

(A friend shared it with me, I'm still awaiting my shipment)

J

--------------------
"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
This just in. Whedon and Cassady extend their run on Astonishing X-Men for another 12 issues. Read all about it: http://www.comicbookresources.com/news/newsitem.cgi?id=4838
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, they goofed up before by saying it was 24 more issues. But nooo.

*sniff*

J

--------------------
"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

What I got from the article was that their CURRENT run is going to only be another twelve issues, but that they also are planning on another 12-issue arc PLUS a "Giant-Sized" Astonishing 1-shot at a furhter time. Not too shabby.

P.S. to Des-- I just remembered a really crappy drawing I did of Wolvie and Colossus in a Fastball Special back in HS-- if I find it, I may try to post it here. We'll see if it's as terrible as I remember... [Razz] [LOL]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Eh, looks like I misread. [Embarrassed]

This little bit posted at Newsarama confirms they're doing 24 issues total, plus the GS Astonishing:

quote:
Joss Whedon spoke extensively about his upcoming Serenity movie on Saturday at WonderCon, but also had a few words about his comic book work, first off, confirming what Marvel's solicitations for May suggested, that Astonishing X-Men #1-#12 is the creators's first year on the series.

From the panel:

Whedon and Cassaday announced at the Serenity panel that they will stick around for another year of Astonishing X-Men. Whedon said that after issue #12 ships, there will be a brief respite, followed by another 12-issues by Whedon/Cassaday. This will be capped off by Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men Annual #1 as Whedon called it.

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Now they are the Eisner nominated creative team of the best X book out there:

Best Serialized Story:
Astonishing X-Men #1-6: “Gifted,” by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday

Best Continuing Series:
Astonishing X-Men, by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday

Best New Series:
Astonishing X-Men, by Joss Whedon and John Cassaday

Best Writer:
Joss Whedon, Astonishing X-Men

Best Penciller/Inker or Penciller/Inker Team:
John Cassaday, Astonishing X-Men

Best Coloring:
Laura Martin, Astonishing X-Men

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
This latest storyline with the sentient Danger Room doesn't really do anything for me. The concept itself seems done to death (it's a bit too "2001" for me) and is it me, or does most A.I. seem to have the same personality? Needless to say, I'll reserve final judgment since the story's not over, but it hasn't captivated me so far.

It also seems like there's less interesting character interactions going on too.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I just read this trade today and I was blown away!

I read the first two trades of the Claremont/Davis work (recent) and liked it. Brought back fun memories. Alan is my fave artist as well.

But Whedon is amazing on the X. Best X stuff I've read in many many years.

OMG I am enjoying Uncanny and Astonishing!!! Larocca being another fave...and my trust in Milligan's talent...are the X books good agaiN???

Whedon/Cassaday rock man!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I have actually dropped Uncanny, marking the first time since 1989 I've skipped an X-core title. Depressing, actually, but I'm pretty convinced that the X-Verse needs a good cleaning out. Why does Legion, with a relatively clean history, keep getting rebooted, while X-Men, with a freaking universe of alternate histories and futures, a timeline stretching back to WWII that is becoming increasingly untenable, and more false deaths than a bad soap opera keep slouching towards Babylon? Yeah yeah, read Ultimate X-Men, but I will NOT! As much as I bitch about DC, at least they're not subjecting me to 14 mediocre books about the same 20 characters that don't even make sense when put together.

It's my own fault. I kept buying every miniseries, solo title, and crossover in the early 90s. If only I'd known I was helping to create a monster...

That being said, Astonishing makes me happy in a way that hasn't been since the debut of the second X-Men. Why has no one since Claremont been able to write Kitty?

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
That being said, Astonishing makes me happy in a way that hasn't been since the debut of the second X-Men. Why has no one since Claremont been able to write Kitty?

Alan Davis

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-Man   Email G-Man         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked Alan Davis' Kitty during his stint of writing and drawing Excalibur -those are some of my favorite books of all time.

To have Davis and Claremont working with Nightcrawler and Storm is pure heaven to me. Uncanny and Astonishing are just the top of the list on X-books, especially after I dropped every X-book and said I would never buy them again when Larroca was forcibly taken off of Extreme to work on the ridiculous SubMariner.

Regular X-Men has a crazy Golgotha storyline and none of the characters really appeal to me except Polaris.

I Love Whedon's work on Astonishing -not surprising as Buffy is my favorite show of all time- and I love his take on all the characters. Though I do have to admit that I'm tired of seeing Wolverine in every book and now Emma is getting that way also. Leave them in Astonishing. The fact that Wolverine is on almost every cover is particularly annoying to me.

Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
G-Man
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for G-Man   Email G-Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
Alan Davis

Cool -I'm not the only one. [Big Grin]
Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.