Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011 (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: The Solicits Thread: Now covering December 2011
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Does anyone think this should be a monthly headlined thread (kept at the top of the forum) like the similar thread in the Legion forum? I thought about doing so but am a little on the fence. Thoughts?

I would like that. I depend pretty much exclusively on Legion World for upcoming solicits of things I might want to get.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Done! (Yay, my first headlining as a mod! [Smile] )

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Interesting to not that Marvel has a new Incognito series coming out beginning in September. Though I prefer Criminal, Incognito's return will help fill my Brubaker/Philips void!

Click for fullsize image

INCOGNITO: Bad Influences #1
LAST YEAR’S BREAKOUT HIT FINALLY RETURNS!
By the award-winning team of Ed Brubaker and Sean Phillips.
One of the biggest Hollywood options of the year, nominated for THREE Eisner Awards, INCOGNITO is finally back for more! It’s apocalyptic pulp noir at its finest!
It’s been over a year since Zack Overkill came out of Witness Protection to build a new life. But working for the government isn’t that different from being controlled by them, and his new secret identity is becoming more trouble than it’s worth... So what will Zack do when tasked with a mission that sends him on a hunt into darkest corners of the super-criminal underworld where he was raised? Also returning with Incognito are the exclusive Pulp magazine essays by Jess Nevins, Professor of pulp history, only available in the single issues of Incognito.
32 PGS./ MATURE CONTENT/ NO ADS ... $3.50

[ June 16, 2010, 08:16 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Did anyone read this in miniseries form?

-

BATMAN: UNSEEN TP
Written by DOUG MOENCH
Art and cover by KELLEY JONES
Moench and Jones reunite for this title collecting the scarifying 5-issue miniseries! Horrible murders have Gotham City held captive, but all anyone knows is that a weird, skinless man has been seen fading away at the scenes of the crimes. Gotham’s only hope is The Dark Knight – but how can Batman fight an invisible man?
On sale October 6 • 128 pg, FC, $14.99 US

I was a big fan of the Moench/Jones run on Batman that preceded the No Man's Land epic. (At the same time Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan were doing some outstansing work on Detective! One of my favorite Batman eras EVER!) I'm wondering if this mini recaptured the magic those two did with the Batverse. Anyone read it?

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

(Hmmm...wish I knew how to get cover images that are not too big and not too small...and just right...like Nighty does for the Legion thread!)

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Post them as thumbnails rather than images.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Thanks, Edie, there's still lotsa functions I don't understand! [shrug]

--------------------

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Right, post the full image (bigger version) but use [THUMB] (or [THUMB3] or [THUMB4]*) instead of [IMG] around the URL (link to the image).

* Additionally, this forum allows for its users to use the [THUMB3] and [THUMB4] codes. Like the [THUMB] code, they allow the image to appear within the confines of the table but show the image at 300 pixels wide and 400 pixels wide, respectively. The [THUMB] code will shrink the image to 200 pixels wide in appearance.

When you use [THUMB] on a smaller image, it'll appear larger on the screen and a larger image will be shrunk to better fit most users screens. The images themselves are not re-sized kilobyte-wise. So, a 150kb image is still 150kb, no matter how you show it.

Additionally, please be mindful of this! Don't be an Internet thief.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I've been too busy to look at the solicits yet so maybe I'll post some thoughts when I do (if there is anything wortwhile to add).

I'll be getting all (5) of the DC War Comics. I'll probably review them all when I get them in a few months.

Lardy, to answer your question, I made a conscious decision a few years ago to stop buying all Batman miniseries unless they have a creative team I absolutely must purchase the comic for (re: Darwyn Cooke, Grant Morrison). So that's about 95% of them (not so fast Kevin Smith).

Cool stuff about the Freedom Fighters series! I'll buy the first few and decide then what I think. Love that cover for #1!

Great idea to have this headlined on a monthly basis here!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Taylor:
Did anyone read this in miniseries form?

-

BATMAN: UNSEEN TP
Written by DOUG MOENCH
Art and cover by KELLEY JONES
Moench and Jones reunite for this title collecting the scarifying 5-issue miniseries! Horrible murders have Gotham City held captive, but all anyone knows is that a weird, skinless man has been seen fading away at the scenes of the crimes. Gotham’s only hope is The Dark Knight – but how can Batman fight an invisible man?
On sale October 6 • 128 pg, FC, $14.99 US

I was a big fan of the Moench/Jones run on Batman that preceded the No Man's Land epic. (At the same time Chuck Dixon and Graham Nolan were doing some outstansing work on Detective! One of my favorite Batman eras EVER!) I'm wondering if this mini recaptured the magic those two did with the Batverse. Anyone read it?

I've read it. Now, Kelley Jones was one of the earliest Batman artists I can remember. I have all three of the Batman: Red Rain books, and one of my oldest issues is one I order online years ago, the one that introduced Cameron Chase and Claything.

But, is it my imagination, or did his art get... worse over the years?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Reading DC's solicits, I noticed Action Comics #893 kicks off a new Jimmy Olsen back-up feature. Very cool! It's by an Image/creator-owned writer I've heard good things about, Nick Spencer and Secret Six's R.B. Silvia. Pretty groovy!

Jordi Bernet on Jonah Hex this month--my favorite artist on Hex, and with the classic Gray Ghost. Should be a real treat! Anyone who is unsure of whether to buy a Hex comic, I say if you see Darwyn Cooke or Jordi Bernet's name on the cover, buy it!.

Only a matter of time before Lobo rejoined REBELS, but I notice this time they first had him show up in GL and now transitioned him to REBELS (certainly a planned method of attack by Johns and Bedard to get REBELS sales back on track). I wonder if Lobo will ever be able to increase comic book sales like he once did in the early 90's? I'm buying the comic either way. Great Finch cover.

Anyone looking for a quintessential Golden Age series you probably would never think to buy, I recommend Boy Commandos.

Wildstorm's Ides of Blood continues to look incredibly cool, as the Best Solicitations thread pointed out last month.

All of Vertigo's comics are so good that once I've committed to them I don't like to read the solicitations so I don't spoil *anything*. Still, I skimmed them and saw the solicit for Unwritten, which looks really good. Can't wait for that story for an already superb series!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

September solits for Image are up, now. There's nothing new launching that's really grabbing me. Good stuff going on with Chew, Walking Dead and Invincible (my regulars). However, those are best left for those titles' individual threads.

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Ona second glance there are some TPB/HC that catch my eye, though:

Click for fullsize image

SHUDDERTOWN HC
story NICK SPENCER
art & cover ADAM GEEN
SEPTEMBER 15
128 PAGES / FC
$19.99
The dead are killing. While struggling to hide the secrets of his own tortured past, troubled homicide detective Isaac Hernandez investigates a string of murders in which all of the forensic evidence points toward perpetrators who are already dead themselves. One of the year's most critically acclaimed and talked-about crime stories, finally collected in a beautiful oversized-hardcover format!
"4.5 OUT OF 5! GRABS YOU WITH THE FIRST PANEL AND NEVER LETS YOU GO." - COMIC BOOK RESOURCES

Click for fullsize image

PILOT SEASON 2009 TRADE PAPERBACK
story ROBERT KIRKMAN
art NELSON BLAKE II, JOE BENITEZ, SHELDON MITCHELL, BERNARD CHANG & BRIAN STELFREEZE
cover MARC SILVESTRI
SEPTEMBER 22
144 PAGES / FC / TRADE PAPERBACK
$14.99
Robert Kirkman and Marc Silvestri Unleash 5 New Concepts!
Image Partners and superstar creators Robert Kirkman (The Walking Dead) and Marc Silvestri (The Darkness) collaborate for the first time by creating five new properties for 2009’s Pilot Season event! The powerhouse team paired with a who’s who list of interior artists, including Nelson Blake II, Joe Benitez, Sheldon Mitchell, Bernard Chang, and Brian Stelfreeze.
This volume collects all five concepts including Murderer, Demonic, Stealth, Stellar and Hardcore along with a cover gallery, behind the scenes sketches, designs, and more!

Shuddertown, I don't remember ever hearing about. It's apparent use of zombies has me intrigued despite myself. Unfamiliar creators, a minus. I'll look up some reviews.

The recent Robert Kirkman-scripted Pilot Season one-shots, however, come Cobie-recommended. This TPB would provide a convenient place to get them all. Have they announced a winner? How does that work?!?

[ June 18, 2010, 05:30 PM: Message edited by: Chief Taylor ]

--------------------

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Also, we have a new Pilot Season beginning, this time with writers I've never heard of. Brad Inglesby and William Harms, anyone? [shrug]

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I wish I understood the Pilot Season thing myself, Lardy! I would totally go vote for either Stealth or Murderer. If either wins, I've decided I'm collecting no matter what the price is.

Dark Horse solicitations are also up. I put a great solicit recommendation in the "Best Solicits Thread" and Dark Horse is also doing some cool $1.00 offerings like Image - all talked about in the $1.00 Comics Thread.

Something I noticed from Marvel is the Valkyrie One-Shot which I think is supposed to reestablish her place in the MU now that she is becoming a major player in Secret Avengers. What caught my eye is that this is by Brian Glass, the writer of Mice Templar--and this guy really knows how to write an epic conic book! He is perfect for mythology characters, so I think Valkyrie fans (of which I know there are several here) will be pleased.

I also agree on Shuddertown, it looks very intriguing and I missed it the first time around.

This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.