Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batgirl/Spoiler (Stephanie Brown) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Batgirl/Spoiler (Stephanie Brown)
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I guess that's issue 11, right, Ceej? I read 10 the other day, and it was a terrific continuation of the storyline with some dire peril for Babs I'm unaccustomed to seeing her in as Oracle. (I know there've been other dicey situations, but I can only recall reading one during Dixon's run, the one I'm most familiar with)

So you think Babs may be leaving the book and Wendy taking her place? If I read your post correctly (the grammar's a little iffy [Razz] ), this interplay between Steph and Wendy worked for you? I'll see what I think after I've read 11, but I'd hate to lose Babs. [Frown]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Other than the Hunt For Oracle storyline in BOP, Babs didn't have a lot of physical interaction during Dixon's run. And yet- her interaction with Dinah and Ted Kord (sans Blue Beetle) really helped make that book. She's managed a little more frontline time under Gail.

Read ish #11 of Batgirl, Chief. I don't want to get too into it until you do. Babs is still the second voice in the story. But Wendy and Batgirl do have a conversation together, it's one of the more natural bits of dialouge in the issue.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
You know, I understand there's lot of hate aimed at Stephanie Brown? Why?

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Steph was getting a lot of fandom love right after her death during the War Crimes cross over some years back. Didio was constantly being asked why she didn't have a memorial in the Batcave.

I do think her return, conicinding with Batgirl being cancelled, paved the way for her to take over as the new Batgirl. In doing so, she did replace a much loved Cassandra Cain in the role. That's likely the reason for any animosity towards Steph.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I bought the first few issues of the Cassandra Cain iteration--then dropped that thang like a hot potater! I'm sure it probably got better later on, but I didn't have the patience for it especially with the craptacular-ness of those early issues!

Steph's Batgirl series didn't knock me out when it debuted, but there was enough to keep me picking it up. Yes, it didn't hurt that I was a fan of Stephanie Brown from her early days as Spoiler in Chuck Dixon's Robin run--at times she was the best thing about it! But when the title finally clicked around issue 4 or 5, it CLICKED! Good, fun series with a real voice to it.

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
The only two Batgirls I really knew about were Betty and Babs. I had some knowledge of Cassandra before I started serious collecting, but by that time One Year Later was about to happen and Cass became "bad, but oh wait she's not really bad she's been drugged by Deathstroke."

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Miller has done a good job of making his Steph sound a lot like Dixon's Steph. This book is a perfect replacement for the Robin series we lost in the wake of BFTC.

As far as Batgirls go

#1 Babs - even as Oracle, she still kics butt
#2 Steph - she brings a lot of fun to the role
#3 Cassandra - had some promise, but never made good with it
#4 Bette Kane - 'nuff said

I don't count the Huntress' time as Batgirl as it was obviously a ploy to bring the name back.

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

You left out Misfit.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Well she was never really suppose to have the title either. Much like Helena, it was a plot point, over and done in less than 6 issues.

That said- a teleporter will trump even Babs. If Charlotte ever gets offered the job, she will become the undisputed bestest Batgirl ever!

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Or Huntress.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Cripes! Why aren't more of you reading this book?!?! And if you are, why aren't y'all RAVING about it?!?!

Batgirl is simply put a freaking GREAT book!!! Every single one of you who complains endlessly about all the doom and gloom in the DCU needs to read Batgirl!!! It's fun, it has great characterization, it's snappy, it's light--all without being a slapstick comedy!

Do you like Barbara Gordon and read Birds of Prey? Well, Barbara's HERE, too!!! Honestly, right now, Bryan Q. Miller is writing her better than Gail-frickin-Simone is over in BoP!

But the star of the show is one Stephanie Brown, formerly known as the Spoiler whose heyday was formerly in Chuck Dixon's excellent run on Robin. Well, guess what? She's out from under Tim's and even Bruce's shadow and is completely coming into her own as the all-new, all-awesome Batgirl!

Bryan Q. Miller has a writing style not unlike Gail's, really. It's effortless with a firm grip on character and a knack for drama and an ear for dialogue.

The current artist is fairly well-known: Dustin Nguyen. Other than the first coupla issues of Streets of Gotham, I haven't had extensive experience with him, though. His style is characterized by minimal linework along the lines of early Tim Sale. He's only two issues in, and I can see him still feeling his way around on the characters. But he's good and should grow into the more light atmosphere of the title. Original artist Lee Garbett had the tone absolutely nailed. I do miss him, but I appreciate that we have a name artist on what is more of a fringe DCU/Batverse book.

The issue at hand is #16 which concludes a two-parter which picks up with Steph being framed for a Gotham U. (where Steph also attends) student's murder. It's very fast-paced with a whole lot happening in the space of 22 pages. Miller wraps up the more immediate story but sets up an obvious longer term threat to Batgirl that is more her own where she's mostly been faced with existing Bat villains heretofore. That's a smart move on Miller's part and a big step toward her continuing to carve out her own niche.

I don't know if this issue is a great jumping on point, but the more I think about it, you get just about everything you need to know within the issue with how Miller writes it. And I think it delivers really well as a 22 page story.

Batgirl is such a terrific book. If you're complaining that the DCU is too dark, I don't want to hear any of your crap if you've never even given Batgirl a fair chance. This is a book that anyone can enjoy, so put that in your pipe and smoke it! [Wink]

Lardy's rating for Batgirl #16: 4 donuts! (out of five)

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone but a Kid Eternity fan, perhaps.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Anyone but a Kid Eternity fan, perhaps.

Well, to be fair, Miller was only working what had already been done to the character over in Teen Titans. He used the Calculator in an arc, and it was relevant as Wendy Harris is a Batgirl supporting cast member.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Lardy, your review of Batgirl has me intrigued again. As you know, I had given up on the series awhile back.

Tell me (I can't remember), when does Stephanie start the college phase? In particular, what issue? I can't recall if it was that way from the beginning. A superhero at college is a set-up I'm a big fan of that we hardly ever see (and IMO is much better than the tired old 'superhero in high school').

Is there a great "Stephanie at college" story that makes a good jumping on point? I'm considering hunting down those issues and give the series a try again.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

I'd have to go through the comics to pinpoint things, Cobie, but it seems to me that her going to college was set up from the first or second issue. Mostly, the college stuff has gotten an average of 1 or 2 scenes and issue, but Miller is slowly building a dynamic and some supporting cast.

The two-parter that concluded in the review above has the threat actually originate on campus with one of the students being involved. There are some humorous campus scenes in the second part with students protesting Batgirl and Stephanie reacting to it.

There was also an earlier storyline in the late single-digit issues that deals with a friend/potential love interest from college being kidnapped that's actually quite excellent.

I'd say the college dynamic is becoming more and more featured in Batgirl as Miller's run moves on. So far, though, the central dynamic is that between Steph, Babs and Wendy as they work the cases and relate in the process.So I'm not entirely sure that the smoking gun you're looking for is actually there at this point. But I think it's getting there.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.