Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Secret Six (the ongoing)... spoilers (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   
Author Topic: Secret Six (the ongoing)... spoilers
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I dunno. I wasn't much for the art in this latest issue, cept for the "Secret Sixers" segment.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#9-- Ragdoll and Bane teasing Catman about wanting to be the next Batman... fun. Radgoll dressed as Robin and delivering old time banter through a Ragdoll prism... priceless.

Nightwing's guest-appearance was welcome. I loathe the fact that he's about to be the new Batman (unless something *really* unexpected happens), so I savor each appearance of the 'real' thing in the time he's got left.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
"TO MY BATPOLE!"

[ROTFLMAO]

Awesome funnies this issue. Still one of my faves month in and month out, even if I don't post about it often.

And agreed on Nightwing... [sigh]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#10-- While the Secret Six themselves do receive some examination (Bane and Scandal, Jeanette and Deadshot), most of this issue goes to the introduction of a new(?) villain and his enigmatic handmaiden.

It all leads to and culminates in a pair of lines in the last panel that should shake these characters to their bones. We'll see.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
#10-- While the Secret Six themselves do receive some examination (Bane and Scandal, Jeanette and Deadshot), most of this issue goes to the introduction of a new(?) villain and his enigmatic handmaiden.

It all leads to and culminates in a pair of lines in the last panel that should shake these characters to their bones. We'll see.

I thought "Smyth" was a revamp of Sterling Silversmith, but maybe I'm way off (http://www.supermanartists.comics.org/batman/SterlingSilversmith-Tec446.JPG)
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally caught up to #11 on Secret Six and am once again reminded why this is simply one of DC's best comics and the best in the industry. Gail Simone is at her best with all the things that makes me love her writing and Nicola Scott wows me every month. They are just one of the best teams in comics and I hope they stay on this title for a long time; if not, I hope Nicola keeps following Gail to other projects.

Gail continues to keep us in a zone that is far away from comfortable as possible, yet manages the right blend of humor and sexual tension to ease up a little. She tackles slavery in a way that is both over the top but yet not really that far-fetched, considering its usage in history (particularly Ancient History).

The core of Deadshot, Catman and Scandal continue to be the driving force that makes me really engaged; all three are favorites in all of comics. Ragdoll adds his quirkiness, the Banshee (do we have a codename for her at all?) is interesting and a welcome if not for her interactions with Deadshot, and I'm surprised at how much I am enjoying Bane's continued involvement.

Bringing in Artemis here is welcome as well. Artemis is a great character worthy of more respect than she gets and Gail obviously knows it. Since WW is too crowded for her, I wouldn't mind if Artemis had a continued presence here. And I love her rough around the edges nature, which is played up quite well. Gail also knows how to make a scene brutal without taking it too far--as you would expect her to know how to do, given her longstanding role on the internet in making creators consider this more often.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I could see Artemis replacing Bane, for a short time at least. But, not as a permanent choice. Bane I don't see staying for long anyway, though I might be wrong in that as well.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

#13- Scandal's upbringing was even more horrific than I would've imagined. Jeannette's flashbacks are more as I'd expect- since the big suprise has already been sprung, for her (I think).

I'm reminded in this issue why I like Catman so much. That had sort of fallen away in the last half-dozen issues, or so.

I don't know if I really want to read about this stripper/Knockout lookalike all that much... unless she really is Knockout.

Ragdoll's perversity is amusing.

Has Grendel appeared before?

Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^^^ Re: Grendel - I'm not sure but Gail did use Beowulf in one of her early Wonder Woman arcs. And I think he had a short-lived sword and sorcery type series back in the 70s right? Grendel might have appeared there.
From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil'rhino
I love everybody & you're next!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil'rhino   Author's Homepage   Email lil'rhino         Edit/Delete Post     
Wow! #13 was a really great issue!!
From: elizabeth,nj | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
^^^ Re: Grendel - I'm not sure but Gail did use Beowulf in one of her early Wonder Woman arcs. And I think he had a short-lived sword and sorcery type series back in the 70s right? Grendel might have appeared there.

*That's* right! Grendel followed Diana back from '70's sword and sorcery world, if I remember correctly. At the conclusion of the Beowulf storyline.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The all Deadshot issue is here. And ooooooooooooo

But do I miss Nicola's art!

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
This is one of the most fun books going, and if you can stomach it, the DCboard for it could use some input. Its no where near as bad as some of the others, including the ww board.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Another great issue. Lots of character development, in a jailbreak and a strip club. Alice was played very well, and that was an absolutely stunning cover. Interior art was okay, but it didn't dampen the quality of the story overall.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Blackest Night Suicide Squad.

This is only a Blackest Night tie-in in a purely technical term. At the start there are 3 pages and the last page deal with Blackest Night. The rest of the book is a clash between the Secret Six and the Suicide Squad (aka Amanda Waller).

From the Suicide Squad, we see them on a mission where they fail due to Deadshot's replacement, Yasemin. I can't recall seeing this character else where so I assume she is new and introduced in this story. So Waller want's Deadshot back.

On the Secret Six side of the story, Scandal has a date while the rest of the group take on an assignment. The assignment is to spring a drug Kingpin awaiting execution from Belle Reve prison.

The characterization is good all around. Gail Simone and John Ostrander know their characters. The story is tight and I can't see any plotholes. There is some Suicide Squad continuity issues I have. Rick Flagg is here and I believe he was killed in Suicide Squad way back when. I don't remember his resurrection. Likewise, Nightshade is here instead of being with Shadowpact. But the story is good enough that I don't mind these continuity glitches. So kudos to Gail & John.

The artist is J. Calafiore and is very good. I am not good for exploring the nuances of the artwork, but I know what is good. Characters are recognizable and you know what is going on.

So, I recommend this if you are a Secret Six fan or a Suicide Squad fan.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 10 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  8  9  10   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.