Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Are you a Patsy Walker fan? (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Are you a Patsy Walker fan?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Lash, sorry I missed your question the first time around. The answer would have to be a categorical no. Marvel Divas was a waste of paper.

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Patsy will next be seen in the mini-series "Heralds", co-starring with Monica Rambeau and Jen Walters. I am so there!

So Heralds #1 came out this week.

I can sum it up in a nutshell: great story (by Kathryn Immonen), bad art.

I'll stick with it because I like the story, but I think for most people it'll be a case of wait-for-the-trade.

It's coming out weekly BTW, but it's only six issues, so I imaging the trade will be out soon.

Here is a very positive review of Herald's #1 I thought you might be interested in FL.

Based on those few pages, the art actually looks pretty good!

I was going to skip this but based on your review and the one I linked to, there is a chance I may pick this up when I inevitably get the itch to go to the CBS but don't want to make the hour long drive to my regular shop so I go to the local one (I don't want to cheat on my shop so I just buy things not on my pull list).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Thank you kindly for the link, Cobie.

I agree with a lot of what she says, especially about Emma (with this and Valerie D'Orazio's "X-Men Origins: Emma Frost", which I reviewed in the X-Verse thread, Emma is finally coming alive to me.)

I see the art 180 degrees differently from her, though.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't really read that much Marvel.

I do, however, have an old issues of Avengers that's falling apart, when the dead Avengers were brought back. I think it was during the George Perez days. Hellcat, Mockingbird, the guy who used to be Thor's host...

And one of those Official Indexes from 2005, like DC's Secret Files.

But I was interested in her, for a while I decided to use Patsy as the mother of one of my original characters, Ginger Anderson, but I never wrote anything about it during that time and Ginger's origin was revised once more.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
It was indeed drawn by George Perez.

A fanfic with Patsy as a mother? Intriguing. I've always imagined that if she did have a daughter, their relationship roles would flip-flop back and forth. And I mean that in the best possible way.

I hope you will write Patsy somewhere someday. She's a treasure.

--------------------

Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it wasn't a fanfic per say. I was trying to figure out the character backgrounds, the OCs, before I did anything, but with these seven original characters of mine I kept re-writing them because I wasn't happy with them.

These seven include that DC character of mine, Ebony Dent.

This character who would've been Patsy's daughter, Ginger Anderson, was originally a mutant who could manipulate radio, heat, and light waves. But as time passed I dropped Patsy as her mother, and now the girl can manipulate any and all Earth-born elements with the codename May Queen. She lives in the X-Men Evolution world.

But I might use Hellcat in something.

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
After re-formatting a ton of related files at the SA Marvel site this weekend, I'd say MY favorite Patsy is the one drawn by... AL HARTLEY!

http://www.samcci.nostromo.no/_ROM-HUM/patsy/PW%20A01.jpg

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Herald's is laugh out loud funny!! i love it, it's my new favorite title. picked up issue 1 and 2.

[Smile]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Just read Heralds #2. Still good, and the art's actually starting to grow on me.

But it's clear now that Jen's hair is not slicked back -- it's SHORT! Ugh. I'll bet Loeb did that to her. Grrrrr.

--------------------

Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The art looks like a cross between Guy Davis and someone else I cannot put my finger not great, but not terrible.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I rather enjoyed HERALDS # 1.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

#3...and the supposed stars of the book get shunted aside in favor of the Fantastic Four. [Frown]

Shame, cause it's still a good story, and Kathryn Immonen keeps proving she's one of the best dialogue writers working today.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
# 3 already? I need to hit the CBS, ASAP!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I have always enjoyed Patsy Walker. She brought something special to every book she was in, especially the Defenders.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Picked up Heralds #1 a few weeks ago and read it and like many others, I really liked it! A really solid read and like Lash said, I've got to get to the CBS ASAP to get the rest of the series.

There is a real lot to like in the first issue. There is a lot of set-up but done so in a good way; the "birthday party" sequence really does a great job humanizing Emma Frost in a way that makes her more likable than she is EVER in the X-comics. And the space-threats add a layer of seriousness to the title that goes a long way; it's a fun comic but its not a joke comic. These ladies kick serious ass when they need to.

I only read #1 so I hope we get more scenes with the ladies strutting their stuff going forward but we get at least one Crowning Moment of Awesome in #1: Patsy punching Einstein in the face and saying "C'mon, haven't you always wanted to punch Einstein in the face? Do you have an Oppenheimer?" Funniest line in comics for the week! That's Atomic Robo/Heckler funny!

I also actually really like the artwork as well. I know a lot of you are on the fence about it, but I found Tonci Zonjic to have really smooth linework that is pretty but also explosive. Her work is part of this current 'cartoonish revolution' in comics that I am totally loving these days, as we move away from the manga influence of the last few years. I bet by #5 everyone in this thread loves it.

Editorial Sidenote
FL, would you mind if I changed the title of this thread temporarily to "Are you a Patsy Walker fan? / Now appearing in Marvel's Heralds" for the duration of this mini to draw attention of other posters here? This is a series other posters should totally be checking out!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I don't mind at all, Cobie. In fact, I appreciate it.

I finally figured out who Zonjic's art reminds me of -- Peter Snjegberg (sp?) with fewer light-and-dark contrasts.

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.