Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Mike Wieringo RIP (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Mike Wieringo RIP
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Heidi at The Beat noted that 'Ringo passed away 11 years to the day that Mark Gruenwald also passed of a massive heart attack at age 43. [No]
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah? Wow. That's eerie.

I remember being just as shocked by Gru's passing back then. I rationalized it then as being due to his high-stress position as a senior editor.

I still miss Gru's work on Quasar. [Frown]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Erik Larsen wrote a tribute to 'Ringo in his One Fan's Opinion column at CBR. He included pics of alot of covers Mike drew over the years, including Bart's first cover on FLASH #92, and FANTASTIC FOUR #51-4, featuring the FF individually yet could be viewed as one long, single image. (Didn't know about that-- need to hunt those issues down [Cool] )

But my favorite image posted was from the recent FNSM series-- an over-the-shoulder shot of Peter & MJ sitting on a webbing "hammock" watching the sunset(?):

Click for fullsize image

Beautiful. [sigh]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
Marvel's news on his passing, written by JQ.

I'm not crazy about the Tom Brevoort portion in the above link. Tom talks about the point where Marvel had temporarily fired Mike and Waid from FF. And how Mike agreed to finish the FF arc when Marvel began to have second thoughts and was let go by another company (who hired Mike after Marvel fired him) when he agreed to do so.

Though it shows Mike's integrity, it reads like a cheap shot by Tom at the other company just as much. I don't know whether this other company was DC (I'm betting it was), but if so, a tribute article like this is an inappropriate place for Tom to throw another rock in the pettiness that is the ongoing war of words between DC and Marvel. That was classless.

Anyone know what the project was that Mike was fired from?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I met him once or twice at conventions. I was stunned when I read that he had passed. A very nice guy that did quick free sketches for anyone that asked.

I was at a local library when I read about this, and was staring at the screen in stunned silence. My wife actually asked me what was wrong...I was speechless.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.