Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Freedom Fighters (spoilers) (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Freedom Fighters (spoilers)
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
The one ongoing theme of this series that I haven't liked is the concept of disposable heroes. I guess it makes sense from a governmental viewpoint, but with as much as I loved the original Freedom Fighters (and Force of July, really), I hate the fact that they are being treated as acceptable fallout, and that if one dies we just throw someone else into the costume.

But that's just me [Smile]

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
This book has been an unexpectedly fun ride for me. I know a lot of people have legitimate criticisms, but I'm enjoying it. Between the art, the dialogue and the plot the whole thing has a real melodrama to it that seems to have sustained itself so far.

Perhaps what I like most is that Palmiotti and Gray are making it so damn weird. This seems part of a general effort by DC to unleash Morrison and others to put a sense of the bizarre, weird, far-out back in comics. Starting in the early 1970s, DC had wonderful pockets of weirdness that really enriched the overall DCU. That weirdness all got bled off to Vertigo, Wildstorm/ABC, etc. and left the DCU blander and poorer for it. Bring back the weird, I say.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Spellbinder:
The one ongoing theme of this series that I haven't liked is the concept of disposable heroes. I guess it makes sense from a governmental viewpoint, but with as much as I loved the original Freedom Fighters (and Force of July, really), I hate the fact that they are being treated as acceptable fallout, and that if one dies we just throw someone else into the costume.

But that's just me [Smile]

That's the one thing that bothers me about this series as well, though I'm loving it overall. The disposable hero attitude remains pervasive in the DCU (see 52 for more examples) even though Didio claimed Infinite Crisis would bring about a brighter, nicer DCU. Haven't seen it yet, and I'm beginning to think it was another of his "white lies"

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#7 came out last week and featured the return of...

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

spoiler space

Ray Terrill, The Ray II in a somewhat streamlined costume. We don't really learn what he's been up to, but he shows up just in the nick of time. This makes Stan Silver a possible exciting new villain, one with an active libido.

Anyway, with new or revitalized takes on characters like Miss America, The Ray, Firebrand, Red Bee and The Invisible Hood alongside the mainstays of the Freedom Fighters and a strong vision of Uncle Sam, it seems to me that this is one mini that has, at the least, earned a sequel. I'd prefer an ongoing, but sales might not warrant that step (drat it!)

I will say that the giant... beings(?)... that US&TFF face come across a bit like filler as the 'real' menaces gather for the last page villain-team line-up ready to strike shot.

Discovering that the Human Bomb is very young made me like the character more and I'm glad he survived his extreme blow-up, this issue. Maybe he can guest-star in TEEN TITANS one of these days? Or meet Stargirl and Cyclone in JSA? I'd have to say that the art didn't really get his youth across to the extent it was commented on in the characters' dialogue. A small criticism.

Actually, I'm still reeling a bit from how much presence Miss America brings to her appearances. I know she's seen by many DC fans as a bit of a trumped together retcon, but she sure doesn't come across as that in these pages. Gray and Palmiotti's status as comic's prime archaeologists persists; they dust off languishing properties and present them to the current reading public without cloaking them in deadening folds of history while still allowing the glow that *having* a history can bring to shine through.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
YES, YES, YES.

At last--Ray Terrill, the Ray II, is back. I can rest easy--my greatest criticism of this book is now gone, and I can exhale and enjoy it. And enjoy it I am. Honestly, I can't get across how relieved I am. The Freedom Fighters are now complete and the line-up is perfect. Yay for the Ray! One of my favorite characters.

Loving Ms. America, Human Bomb being young, Doll Man being such a rugged romantic lead, and everything else. At the end of the day (hinging on the final issue of course) I think this mini was a creative success.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Newsarama has a piece on Mega Con. Jimmy Palmiotti made some comments.

Mega Con

Scroll down and read some interesting hints he didn't make...

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
I really do hope they decide to continue the story of US & FF. These characters have really developed into something special. And now that Ray is back, they are complete and ready to take off.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Been reading some of the NYCC threads on both Newsarama and CBR, and the DC Nations panels confirmed there will be more Uncle Sam/Freedom Fighters stuff in 2007! Wahoo!!

Here's an excerpt:
...Didio asked the crowd if they like weekly comics, receiving a raucous response. “Addictive, right?” Didio then brought up “Countdown” head writer Paul Dini. What happens in “Countdown”? “S___ blows up!” Dini said. One of the writing teams working with Dini on “Countdown” is Jimmy Palmiotti and Justin Grey, who were also present. Expect more “Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters”, including “some things you’ve been dying to see.” ...

This has been a great book, and I applaud DC's decision to keep with it!

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
From Comics Continuum
quote:
* Palmiotti on the next Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters mini-series: "You're going to see things you've been dying to see and things you weren't expecting."

[ February 25, 2007, 06:18 PM: Message edited by: Tekwych ]

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, this is a fitting revival for the FREEDOM FIGHTERS! It's been a wild ride and I've loved the revitalization of the Golden Age heroes!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
With #8 out, the mini is concluded. Though I didn't love the last issue as much as I did the rest of the series, it still was a satisfactory conclusion.

There was a bit of gobble-de-gook exposition that went over my head regarding Father Time and a Mother- Father- Cousin Box.

I guess it went over my head because my mind was clouded by the revelation that Miss America (Miss America!) is now one of the most powerful superheroic entities on the planet!

Who saw *that* coming?

I have a feeling that that might not be a condition that lasts through the end of the follow-up mini (Yay!).

It was a treat to see The Ray as a grounded, dedicated and sincere hero. Liked that he's such a supporter of Uncle Sam.

This was a nice counterpoint to the CIVIL WAR stuff over at Marvel. It's hard not to contrast Uncle Sam's treatment with that of Captain America.

I need to reread this, maybe, to get a better handle on the plotpoints.

In any case, I'm *very* eager for the continuation of the stories of these characters by this creative team and hope that I'll be reading it sooner rather than later.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
A friend just let me borrow this. It rocked!

Glad to see the real Ray back! I liked everything about this series. Nice update to an old team. I guess with Phantom Girl if the costume is the same (including cleavage) everyone is happy. Actually this girl certainly has more character than the old one.

Who the heck was Father Time? A Lord of Order?

Uncle Sam's powers are a bit vague as are Miss America's. A bit like the Sentry no?

Since Uncle Sam is the personifcation of America I wonder if he needs an update? Maybe if he gets an alter ego? He has been around since 1812!

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Why mess with a good thing?

As the weeks have gone by, the way the DCU regular people defended Uncle Sam stands in stark relief against the way Marvel normal folk treated Captain America in CIVIL WAR.

I think years from now, if I read or think about this mini, that's the first thing I'll remember. Then, I'll think of Miss America taken seriously, The Ray's return, Firebrand's speechifying, followed by Stan Silver coming out of the shower.

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
They're Back!!

Preview of Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters #1 (scroll down)

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Oh, gawd, ANOTHER book to add to my pull...! [Poverty Lad]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.