Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel] (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel]
stephbarton
Possibly an evil Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stephbarton   Email stephbarton         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, I'm hating TOS (not even buying it anymore).

At first, I disliked it because it was changing (in my mind) everything that made me like the Marvels and made them unique.

Recently, I feel that its very insubstantial and as a book isn't worth $3.

For example, nothing happens in the last issue, in fact, it only felt like half an issue, I think we've should have gotten a fight. With the delays that already plague this book having a light issue does not help me enjoy it.

Also, I love Freddy, I really do. But I love him as CMJ, I think by promoting him to Captain Marvel or Shazam takes away from what made the character work for me.

He was never really a sidekick to begin with so I don't see the need to 'promote' him. Also, sidelining Billy to do it is a bad move.

Morever, Junior worked really well because he handled darker and creepier things than the other two, by making him the main guy you either take away his ability to deal with these other areas OR you taint the entire family with the darkness.

Furthermore, I loved his classic look. He is one of my favorite characters to draw, I like how he had this unique look (with the hair) and that the character never seemed to need to change it to 'fit' in. Also, I liked the slim athletic form and the blue with lightning bolt just really appeals to me as a costume. So I don't like the fact that they are changing his look.

That said, I can understand why people like it, there are some good stuff. I just feel like it is the wrong direction in that it is removing what makes the Marvels unique and what I love about them. They are turning Freddy into just another superhero, and why should I really care about that.

Now I have some potential problems with MSOE, but I'll wait to see what Smith is doing with it before I make my final verdict (what's up with Mary? she's all of a sudden not super strong, the Bromsfields are evil, what?) but the light hearted fun, the art, and the magic are all really well done and remind me why these characters appeal to me.

Whew, long post, but I love the Marvels, I just don't like what TOS is doing to them.

--------------------
Long Live the Legion!

Registered: Mar 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Just curious if anyone knows when the next issue is due...
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Issues 7 & 8 are scheduled for October, if anyone else is listening
From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

We've got a new issue, and SHAZAM has a new god. DC replaced Porter on the art, but they did a fine job finding a replacement. We still get that digital painted look.

If you're a Freddy Freeman fan, this book makes him shine.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been put off by the idea of yet another set of beings sharing names with the Olympic gods and goddesses, but I thought the Apollo and now the Mercury issues were quite strong.

Apollo's choice, in particular, was dramatically interesting. And Talky Tawny's debut was a cool scene. I enjoyed it more than I would if I'd read about it (in which case I would've been predisposed to dislike it), so I won't spoil it.

I hope Sabine/Sabina? sticks around in the DCU as a great *new* VILLAINESS. I'm worried, though, that she'll be an addition to the Marvel family proper as a replacement for Mary Marvel, as she's going through the wringer in COUNTDOWN. I'd *hate* that.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
From an extraneous thread:
quote:
Originally posted by RED-001:
Has anyone seen [Curse of Shazam] previews at the Newsrama site?

I've seen artwork at the Inside Pulse site,go to:
http://insidepulse.com/2012/04/23/demythify-big-changes-ahead-by-geoff-johns-gary-frank-for-shazam-marvel-family/

Let me know what YOU think...! [Smile]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RED-001
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RED-001   Email RED-001         Edit/Delete Post     
How does Freddy Freeman look as a blonde? Will Mary go by the last name of Bromfield? How will the rogues gallery be affected by this reboot(Dr.Sivanna,Black Adam, Mister Mind,Mister Atom,etc.)?

Inquiring minds need to know!!! [Smile]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dave Hackett
The Red Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dave Hackett           Edit/Delete Post     
People are aware the first few installments are already out, right? I believe there was some discussion in the Justice League thread (none of it too positive). I only read the first story and it was pretty depressing with jerk Billy and buff Sivana and pretty much a subversion of the whole mythos. I just think they really missed the boat (didn't get the next issue).
From: Moncton, New Brunswick, Canada | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Suddenly Seymour
Don't feed the plant!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Suddenly Seymour   Author's Homepage   Email Suddenly Seymour         Edit/Delete Post     
The second issue just carried that thread and made Billy even more of a jerk. Pair it with Gary Frank's zombified art, and it's just a failure on all levels so far.

--------------------
Geek Watch

From: Standing beside you in Ferndale, MI | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Read the first installment...did not like anything about it.

I keep looking at the Jeff Smith Monster Society of Evil HC next to my pc and wondering why they really felt the need to mess with the formula. If in the right hands (such as Smith), the characters work wonderfully.

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I read the first story only because it was a free download. Pretty awful.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.