Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Marvel Romance TPB! plus...Marvel Romance Redux: Giffen + Lustig = ! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Marvel Romance TPB! plus...Marvel Romance Redux: Giffen + Lustig = !
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
MARVEL ROMANCE TPB OSCARS

Actress in a supporting role: Nan from "Patsy's Secret Boyfriend", who helps teach us to always give our friends the benefit of the doubt before we accuse them of being man-hungry sluts!

Actor in a supporting role: Tom from "One Day A Week", who shows us that true love wins out, even if your girlfriend is vaguely dissatisfied, easily fooled and wants to live in the cab of a truck!

Worst hairdo: Sally Rogers from "Give Back My Heart". Good Lord! What the hell was that terrifying mess all about? And you mean she never changed her style in FOUR YEARS?

Most melodramatic splash page: "JILTED!" Y'think it's over? I get the feeling that it IS.

Best artwork: Jim Steranko, for "My Heart Broke in Hollywood". Best Steranko artwork I've ever seen.

Worst pickup line: "You little FOOL!" used by both Whitey in "Jilted" and Art Nelson in "I Want Him-- But He's Hers!"

Biggest Name Screw-Up: "The Dream World of Doris Wilson", in which our heroine is actually named Doris Nelson.

Best original story that was REDUXED: "I Do my Own Thing-- No Matter Whom I Hurts", which was brilliantly reduxed into the hilarious "President Stripper".

Cutest boy: Stephen from "As Time Goes By", as drawn by Gene Colan.

Cutest girl: Kathy, from "Love Isn't In The Cards For Me", as drawn by J. Buscema, J. Romita & F. Giacoia.

Girl that most resembles Teeds: Joellen Jacobs, from "Formula For Love".

best 'FLOATING-HEAD' scene: The splash page of "One Day A Week", where the visage of Tom the trucker looks not unlike it is carved into the mountain like Rushmore!

Actress in a lead role: Jill, from "A Teen-Ager Can Also Love", who teaches us that if we put our own emotional and physical needs aside and focus all our energies on a has-been teen idol, he will again become famous and then years later, marry us.

Actor in a lead role: How can I not give it to Humphrey Bogart, from "As Time Goes By".

Best story: "I Do My Thing-- No Matter Whom It Hurts".

[ March 26, 2006, 02:36 PM: Message edited by: MLLASH ]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Thriftshop Debutante           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Oh, thanks a lot!

Well, she does have a rather demented look on page 136, panel 3.

PS to Lash: page 116, panel 1. Remind you of anyone?

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
I enjoyed the "Well, well, I see that you know how to read! Is it the latest Mickey Spillane thriller or a comic book?" bit from The Summer Must End. (The original, not the Redux!)

Dang, I should have had an evil villain & villainess category!

But Cynthia Worthington from "I Wan Him-- But He's HERS!" would have also been a contender!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

quote:
Originally posted by Thriftshop Debutante:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Oh, thanks a lot!

Well, she does have a rather demented look on page 136, panel 3.

PS to Lash: page 116, panel 1. Remind you of anyone?

It was the glasses-- plus she cleaned up to be a hottie!

Hmmm... page 116, panel 1... let's look... Hmmm... I *do* love that white scarf! And he smokes (p. 117, panel 6)!!

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

I dig the white scarf too. But re-view p.116, panel 1 again. Besides looking a bit Feister/Harris, it also kinda looks like someone we know. (The dialogue is a hint.)
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

EDE?

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

[Calamity King]
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

He's got such dreamy blue eyes! [sigh] Just call me Victoria Grant!

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Here's hoping this TPB sold enough to warrant future releases, or even an ESSENTIAL chock-full of old romance comics!

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Have you guys checked out Fantagraphics's Romance Without Tears, a TPB with reprints of 40s/50s St. John romance comics? Good stuff. $15 on Amazon.
Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

Oh, and I agree with Lash about reprints. I'd REALLY prefer color, but I'd probably get a B&W Essential if there was one.
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I haven't but will now.

Do you have TRUER THAN TRUE ROMANCE, which is Lustig-style reduxes in a big full-color TPB by Jeanne Martinet? It's good too.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I also prefer the color, but those colossal ESSENTIALS/SHOWCASEs are a pretty good deal too!

--------------------

Thriftshop Debutante
Terrifyingly On-Topic.

I've borrowed TTTR from the library. Fun!

And may I add that if there are more Steranko stories and they put 'em in a trade, I'm there.

Edit:
Here is a review of MHBIH.

Further edit: from what I've read, Jim Steranko doesn't hasn't done all that many comics (when compared to others) and the only romance-type comic I found on this list was the one we already know.

Side note: this isn't a romance comic, but I've always liked this cover

[ March 26, 2006, 04:30 PM: Message edited by: Thriftshop Debutante ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Steranko is just one of those rare comics SENSATIONS...

I mean, the guy really only did a *handful* of X-Men and S.H.I.E.L.D. issues... I actualy had *no idea* he had done any Romance (or any OTHER) comics at ALL!

And the X-issues I've seen (I've even owned a few of them, my favorite cover being the one featuring POLARIS--- # 50 or maybe # 51) were nowhere NEAR as hot as "My Heart Broke In Hollywood"!

--------------------

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.