Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » May Comics Haul.... spoilers and speculations (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: May Comics Haul.... spoilers and speculations
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Anyone have any comments on the latest issue of Robin??

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Tarantula, Tarantula, Tarantula...

She's around for the next story arc at least. I have no doubt they'll try to spin her off into her own mini or ongoing.

You think? I wouldn't mind seeing her turn up in JSA for an arc or two... just because of the Jonathan Law connection.

But would they consider her a legacy or an opponent?

Given their standards, if they know anything about her, they'd consider her a problem.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Frostfyre:
Anyone have any comments on the latest issue of Robin??

As someone who doesn't regularly follow the ROBIN title, I have to say... I liked it. Steph's drive and determination in the face of her inexperience, Bats' clinical detachment (apparently) from Tim after he chose to retire, Alfred's questioning Bats' motives, the vignettes of Tim's return to a "normal" life... all really compelling writing by Bill Willingham. I only ordered #126 because DCBS was offering it at a special 50% discount, but I'll be checking out at least the next issue, if not Spoiler's entire run as Robin.
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So THE SPOILER is now officially Robin? I like that development. A lot.

Curious to see how/if this will change TEEN TITANS.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Pov, I don't read Robin either I just flipped through and had to have it great turn of events in this issue I'm gonna be reading the enire Spolier as Robin run!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm not really that big on it, but I do like Stephanie as a character. Be weary though guys, Stephanie getting hurt bad or killed might be a possibility down the road...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Don't expect Steph around long. Last week's All The Rage (highlight to see):

quote:
Round Robin

Wondering how long DC is going to run with the new female Robin? From what I hear, it won’t be much longer. Word is that the former Spoiler/current Robin will be crippled or killed in the upcoming Batman: War Games crossover. Furthermore, Tim Drake's dad will be “disposed of”, paving the way for Tim to become Robin again. Afterwards, Tim is expected to remain Robin for the foreseeable future, both in his own book and the related Bat-titles, Teen Titans, and so on…

If true, this rumor tracks with Dan Didio’s recent comments at Wizard World East. During the DC panel, he mentioned that the current Robin storyline has direct repercussions on how War Games plays out. He also said it would “change Batman’s relationship to his support staff.”

To which, I say “Death in the Family, anyone?”

This Has A “Status Quo is Here Again” Factor of Eight Out of Ten

[ June 06, 2004, 12:01 PM: Message edited by: Lightning Lad ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

I had herd this rumor already Scott and as much as I hope it isn't true I pretty much buy into it. But I'll enjoy Steph as long as I can!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I like Stephanie, too. I hope she isn't killed in the upcoming multiparter. But I prefer Tim as Robin... he's really a refreshing young character. I was surprised how much I liked him when he debuted.

Maybe Stephanie could call herself Bat-Girl? Or even Batwoman? How would she look in red and yellow?

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
OK, this week I bought...

spoilers

spoilers

EXILES 48
UNCANNY X-MEN 445
AUTHORITY: MORE KEV 1
THOR 79/581
THOR 80-582

spoilers

spoilers

EXILES 48 The creative team's got some work ahead of them to make me care about Namora. I don't much like the 'swap one blue-skinned babe for another blue-skinned babe' development. Even though Beak's ostensibly Nocturne's replacement. He's hardly a substitute... but that's the point, isn't it?

I wonder if Nocturne's story will continue in these pages or in another title's? Just who met her at the gates to X-Mansion?

Angel and all her babies predicament is the first time we've seen the consequences of one of the Exile's absence from their home, isn't it? Sad...

Typically, for superheroes, it looks like TJ won't be keeping Mimic's promise to Beak...

The Fantastic Four always are fun in these throw-down situations, for some reason. How 'bout next time an altEarth FF story is visited, that Earth's FF contains Crystal and/or Medusa?

Crystal, Medusa, Invisible Girl and the Thing... that'd be fun. Medusa can be the stretchable-tressed genius, Crystal can 'Flame On' and Sue and Ben can be the married couple...

Or maybe a non-Richards FF? Crystal, Quicksilver, Scarlet Witch and Polaris... for a more mutant-FF.

UNCANNY X-MEN 445: Carol Danvers! Appearing in the X-Men! In her classic uniform! Is this 2004?

I enjoyed seeing her here.

LOVED the Nightcrawler/Storm scenes... especially when they rose waltzing into the air. I don't know what Claremont intends for these two long-time friends, but could anything be *more* romantic?

I know zip about the Captian Britain mythos, so Fury's new to me. He seemed familiar and fairly routine.

The personal bits were the best part of the issue. The art was quite good, with some nice dialogue to support it.

I trust that Sam isn't in the situation he appears to be in, at the issue's conclusion...

AUTHORITY: MORE KEV 1... I didn't read Kev's first appearances, so, for me, the story really began with the first panel set on The Carrier. Y'know... the Authority is, in some ways, even goofier and sillier than some of the Silver Age stories that modern readers giggle over... with breasts and cuss words thrown in. So is 'reality'.

The opening scene with Kev and his coitus interruptis via assissins was snickery, but the transformations of the Authority members who return to the Carrier were FUNNY!

"Get your hands off my tits, you bastard!" Tee-hee! How could Apollo have known?

I'll admit it; I find Apollo and Midnighter fun. They're no more realistic than the counterparts they're meant to ape. I'd love to see a more 'sane' gay superhero couple, but until I do... this pair's antics will suffice.

Their dialogue is over the top, not even vaguely sexual. I'm sure that's offensive to some readers on both sides of the 'gay divide'. It arouses a smile, for me. "I've spent enought time around your balls to know I don't want to replace them..." Snicker.

Written with a leer, obviously... but not a malicious one... I hope.

Mindless entertainment written by a sharp 'pen'.

THOR 79/581... I know that some will find this a rushed end to a looooong storyline, but I thought there was a certain logical cohesiveness to it.

Obviously, Asgard wasn't going to hover above Manhattan for the rest of the existence of the Marvel Universe... unless Thor and co. are going to break off into their own exclusive little 'Thor-verse'.

Who didn't see a reset coming? It was the means to an end.

THOR 80-582... Love the trappings of myth... love Loki as a cosmic-class opponent, not a clown (though he could easily veer into a different kind of clown... there's a 'human' side to Loki, too)... love Thor's thinking of the Avengers as 'brothers' just as he gasps out "Avengers... Assemble!"...

Hate, hate, hate the nonchalant deaths of Sif, Balder and the Warriors Three... the very offhandedness with which they're dispatched makes me think that their 'deaths' won't exactly be permanent.

If I'm wrong, I won't be reading Thor for very much longer. Sif and Balder, in particular, are big factors regulating my enjoyment of this title.

As it is, this opening chapter of AVENGERS DISASSEMBLE has my attention... in spades.

Nice to see the Valkyries on Asgard... now, about THE Valkyrie showing up, hmmm?

Todd

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
DC to refrigerate ANOTHER heroine? Guess I'll skip the Robin arc.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Thats the rumor Lash Here's hoping its not true!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

icefire
Just like old Times!

They killed Sif Good Lord!!!!!I thought Thor was a Marvel comic!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
To keep up with adding my own comments to Todds [Smile] :

Uncanny X-Men: Absolutely loved it. I agree, the moments between Storm and Nightcrawler were the highlight and very welcome. These two have been friends for so long, and I really love to see these scenes. It was a great read this month, like last, and I can't get enough of it. This reminds me of the *old* Claremont, and I can't get enough of this group of characters, and the situations of this issue. Kurt and Logan's opening scenes were good, and no one writes a better Cannonball than his creator.

Thor: The issue that wrapped up that major storyline was good for me b/c most importantly, it finally wrapped up the storyline. Rushed or not, I'm just glad it's over.

For the latest: Wow. The story was good. The art was magnificent, and seeing Loki, the Fenris Wolf, Ulik and the Midguard Serpent was crazy. Thor calling on his 'brothers' was a nice touch.

But I really hope that Baldur and Sif (and the Warriors 3) aren't dead. I half think they'll come back (I mean c'mon, Thor's whole cast dead?), but with this "Re-assembled" business gets me worried. Sif does have the power to travel through time/space, so she could have gotten her and Baldur (and others) out of there. But it was shocking nonetheless. I think I'm going to wait to see how the arc ends before I comment on any deaths.

But the art was great and Thor was exciting for the first time in who knows when. And cool shots of a young Fandral and Volstagg, Odin in all his magnificence, Thor as a regal and sane king, the Valkryes, the Norse gods saluting a fallen Dwarven hero (very nice touch), etc.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Frostfyre:
They killed Sif Good Lord!!!!!I thought Thor was a Marvel comic!

It *is* in an opening issue for a long storyline... I'd wait till the conclusion to jump to any 'refigeration' type judments.

And Balder, the Warriors Three and who knows how many others went with Sif, so the icebox *might* not apply.

Oh, yeah-- Amora the Enchantress, too. But her, I wouldn't miss...

Todd

[ June 07, 2004, 05:33 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.