Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Zodiac's Reign has Ended -- UPDATE! (Page 3)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Zodiac's Reign has Ended -- UPDATE!
Amentep

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amentep   Email Amentep         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay...read issue #3.

Keith Giffen and Colleen Doran are two of my favorite creative types in comics...

...so why do I dislike this book? I'm sorry but three sealed it for me. The final straw was the inclusion of an element I've been dreading since it was foreshadowed in issue 1 [what the other world is - BLEH!].

I almost feel guilty for not wanting to read the book given the creators involved... [Urk!]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I think I'm going to stop reading with this current issue also -- there are some really intriguing elements, but on the whole I'm just not riveted or anxiously awaiting the next issue, and considering how many other titles I have, I'll have to cut one or two.

To make up for it, though, I'm going to try to pick up some TPBs of Doran's A Distant Soil... [Smile]

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I had been mentally wrestling about whether to buy # 3 or not, as # 1 and # 2 were spotty at best.

I wanted to like it more, 'cause a zodiac-based world intruiged me and it's GIFFEN, damn it, but....

I just don't.

It doesn't even have characters I'd already connected with to keep me on board, like Giffen's uber-confusing SUICIDE SQUAD did.

So I gave it 2 issues, fair enough.

Giffen needs to give the fans what they REALLY want....

more I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT THE JUSTICE LEAGUE and AMBUSH BUG...!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Getting that sinking feeling here.

You've said it - I really wanted to like this series but it's just not there. Haven't seen issue #3 yet. I believe there is a commitment to put out 12 issues, but if the first ones don't grab you...

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I've a feeling DC wasn't much behind ...ZODIAC either, as it launched with a higher $2.75 price instead of the now-standard $2.50.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

snowsparkle
glacial

Icon 1 posted      Profile for snowsparkle   Email snowsparkle         Edit/Delete Post     
I have only read the first book of this. People have already said a lot of what I'd say about this: first book boring, confusing intro dialogue.

While I find the concept interesting, the execution left somehting to be desired... Then again, I have fairly strong preconceptions about the signs of the Zodiac, so that might be part of *my* issue.

Frankly, I had no idea Giffen as involved until I read this thread. [Roll Eyes] I just saw Colleen Doran on the cover and needed to see! I love her art (I'm a huge fan of A Distant Soil), but I find she often suffers from being paired with an inker who diminishes her work. That wasn't too bad here, but the colours! Yuck! It was like an exercise in "how many shades of mud can I use" -- and that was before we say the people of Aries.

I might pick up more sometime, if I have money to blow and a yen for soemthing to read. Or I might not. *shrugs* That's my sixteen cents.

[ November 29, 2003, 04:23 AM: Message edited by: snowsparkle ]

--------------------
Action Transvestite! Running, jumping, climbing trees... and putting on make-up while you're up there!
-Eddie Izzard

From: the incandescent world of ice | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
Sadly Issue #3 will also be my final issue!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Funny, but I sort of turned around with Issue #3 - I like that the two lovers are getting some personality, that the action - some of it - has moved to the Vatican (always lots of shady dealings in Vatican stories!) and that there are lots of sneaky, back-stabbing political sub-plots going on.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Amentep

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Amentep   Email Amentep         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
Funny, but I sort of turned around with Issue #3 - I like that the two lovers are getting some personality, that the action - some of it - has moved to the Vatican (always lots of shady dealings in Vatican stories!) and that there are lots of sneaky, back-stabbing political sub-plots going on.

But that's really the crux of my problem...not that the Vatican can't be the source of good stories, but I just plain don't want to see the "real world" at all.

Why can't a fantasy story just exist in its own universe? Why do so many comic fantasy stories end up sending their characters to the real world? I've grown to hate this particular plot twist, and after all the buildup [including the deadly dull first issue] of the Zodiac world and society, what I want to see is THAT world in action, not OURS and a "strangers in a strange land" motiff.

But maybe that's just me... [Embarrassed]

Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:

Okay Cramer just for you I will give it 2 more issues!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I gave up with issue #4. The plotlines are just too convoluted. (And I like convoluted plotlines!)

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
First, I'd like to apologize to FC for editing her original post but I didn't want to start a separate topic.

Now for the news. DC has confirmed that issue # 8 will be the final issue of the series. It didn't even last long enough to make it through the Zodiac even once. Here's the scoop from Jen at The Pulse:

quote:
DC Comics has confirmed for THE PULSE that issue eight of Keith Giffen, Colleen Doran, and Bob Wiacek's Reign of the Zodiac will be the last. Colleen Doran shared her thoughts with us about the end of this fantasy series.

Artist of Reign of the Zodiac, Colleen Doran told us:

"As you can well imagine, we were surprised and disappointed when the boom came down on Zodiac. We were sure we had a twelve issue run, and there are plenty of books that don't sell as well. But I think DC just didn't see it taking off, so they decided to close it down at the end of the current storyline, which is a real shame. We all worked like dogs on this book.
I spent a lot of time designing all of these Royal Houses and the only good news about all of it is most of the work I did never appeared in the book and hasn't been bought, so it belongs to me. I am going to save them for other projects.

Everyone on the book was incredibly sad about it and our editor Joan Hilty was just so nice about everything. I think she was terribly relieved I didn't get upset at her, but these decisions are not personal at all. I never get mad about these things. I just did my best and that was all there was to it.

The day before, I knew there was a conference about Zodiac coming up and I had this funny feeling about it, so I immediately put feelers out that I would be available soon for work. Right away I had a new script proposal and within a couple of hours, I had a bright and shiny new assignment at Vertigo, with a creative team with whom I have previously enjoyed working with great success. I can't really talk about it now, but I already have script and the contract just went to the lawyers. It all went down faster than the proverbial speeding bullet. I was out of work in the morning and employed that afternoon.

In a market where so many creators are looking for work every day, I am really privileged and blessed and extremely grateful that I have such terrific relationships with the people with whom I work, that we all want to come back and do projects with one another time after time. I can't ask for a greater compliment or privilege. There are no hard feelings at all. No one slacked, no one didn't carry their weight. We did the best we could and that was that.

Keith Giffen has been my friend since I was a teen, and even though Zodiac didn't work out as we had hoped, he means a lot to me and I am grateful for the opportunity to have worked with him on this project. I had a terrific chance to try new things and grow as a creator. I look forward to working with him again, too."

We hope to have news soon of Doran's Vertigo project.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Well, can't say I'm surprised. "REIGN..." just had a "cancelled" feeling about it, similar to CHASE, YOUNG HEROES IN LOVE, MAJOR BUMMER, VEXT and THE HECKLER... only THOSE books I *loved*!

--------------------

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Vext! I loved Vext! I wonder if Keith could be persuaded to have him make an appearance in his upcoming Legion work?
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

VEXT (as well as the other books I mentioned-- check out the back-issue bins!) was sheer brilliance.

I dunno if Giffen would do it or not since there's so many LEGION -related in-jokes he could use already.

Y'know what would rock?

Vext, Ambush Bug and The Heckler appearing in Giffen's next FORMERLY KNOWN AS JLA series! Perhaps they could all join the team! ***Huge Grin!***

--------------------

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.