Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 24)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
I've not been getting it either. I do, however, note that the guy who did the last Mutant Town story and the Layla one-shot is doing the two most recently-solicited issues (#37-38) at least...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Four days later, not only has a third issue (#39) now been solicited with Valentine DeLandro (who did #29-30, #32 and the Layla one-shot before) as artist, but PAD's now said at CBR that his "understanding is that Valentine Delandro is going to be doing the book regularly, but the way things go in “X-Factor” land, that could be changed by the time this response sees print."

DeLandro's an "okay" artist rather than a great artist, but they're about a thousand percent better than Stroman. If DL, or another artist with a style which is closer to Sook, Calero, Raimondi, et al* becomes the official regular artist, I might start picking up the book again...

*Yes, I'm well aware that there is a difference between (e.g.) Sook & Raimondi's art, but they fall in a range which Stroman is a few hundred thousand clicks outside of.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Delandro is..."acceptable" to me to continue. But what I really need now is for PAD to get back into his groove.

For really no real reason I can explain I loathe Detroit as a comic book setting. I'm going to try to ignore it but its not helping.

Still buying hoping for an old-school "PAD turns things around in two issues" type moment.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
The story has been “off” since the big mutant cross over. I wasn’t impressed with that and the X-Factor moments didn’t satisfy. Marvel needs to keep the X-books united in some fashion, and there was a sales bump during the x-over, so mission accomplished there. But is it worthwhile in the long run?

We’re free from cross-over madness for a bit, PAD will hopefully get a chance to run with his stories. It’s his comments about editor shift and artist shuffle that give me cause for concern. Why can’t this be a Moon Knight or Punisher or Iron Fist book that gets left alone and earn it’s way?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Okay, I think a full week is long enough...

SPOILERS FOR #40, ESPECIALLY THE ENDING. DO NOT CLICK IF YOU DON'T WANT TO KNOW! And, really, the issue all comes down to the ending, ultimately. The rest of the issue is just there to sell us that Madrox has reached such a low that, yes, he would kill himself - with "John Maddox" to represent the Madrox of days gone by. And it *is* something that needed space, even after last issue's overtly shocking events, to be sold. [As for last issue, briefly... it doesn't make sense. PAD thought of a twist that no-one would see coming because it doesn't make sense, and the added explanation THIS issue means it makes LESS sense - Why didn't the dupe manifest at full size, as his dupes always do? If it was a "hysterical pregnancy", that means there was never an embryo - and on that score, the "revelation" that M had one too and shrugged it off means what; does she still have some sort of latent dupe inside her? - and it's meant to be some sort of telepathic thing? It's the black hole of plot holedness, and every attempt to elucidate just makes the event horizon bigger]

And to the ending of #40. This is one that PAD went far too far with his shilling of - if it had come out of nowhere, without stuff like (and I quote from the recap page) "the ending of this issue will quite simply blow you away" [he went even further elsewhere, saying it was more shocking than Baby Dupe, but that's actually IN THE ISSUE], it might have worked. As it is, Adult Layla is something we knew was coming [and have done since #13], just not "when", and trying to sell it the way he did sabotages it.

Given that losing Layla sent the book into a quality death-spiral - far more so than losing Rahne did - I'm glad to see her back , but this had the potential to be something like the Conquest Prologue, with a dawning realisation followed by a smile, and it ended as "oh, that's it?"

Oh, and then PAD went onto his blog and said (quote tags don't work inside spoiler tags, unfortunately):

"I will say one thing about the ending, which readers of this should feel free to repeat on any thread anywhere, spoiler or not:

Most people are assuming that the last page is exactly what it appears to be.

That's a mistake."

Now, my best guess based on the future solicits is that he meant "Layla's not planning to stay in the present, she's going to pull Madrox back into the future with her", but really not improving matters, Mr David. If it turns out to be Not Layla, I will feel actively cheated.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
After finding # 39 surprisingly good, I read # 40 at the store but left without buying it. I thought it was talky and dull and meh. Madrox's instability and lack of faith have been way too drawn out -- he had his meltdown what, a whole year ago?

Click Here For A SpoilerEven Layla's return -- if that's really her -- didn't excite me. Much as I'd love X-Factor to find a definite direction again, I don't have any confidence that it will, unless the X-Editorial goes through a reshuffle.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Preview for #41: http://comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=2229&disp=table

More or less exactly what I expected to happen...

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I actually didn't see the PAD warning in #40 and when I read it, I thought it was really great. The last two issues have been very good, and I'm glad I stuck with it.

But 'Boot is right--the ending didn't punch me off my chair. I'm glad I didn't see the 'warning', I might have felt let down.

But if its not __, then yeah, I'd feel cheated too. If it is, well then THANK HEAVENS, because X-Factor has really needed something to get it back on track.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Having just read 39 and 40, I wanted to say that I really enjoyed them. The reaction of Theresa to what happened was raw and visceral. And I thought 40's story was very good. X-Factor has always been best, IMO, when it concentrates on Jamie and all the complications inherent in his strange existence. When PAD goes there, my interest always goes up several notches.

That said, like 'Boot, I'm not sure the explanation of what happened with the baby makes any kind of sense. I guess I'll just suspend disbelief for now and hope the ride is worthy of that particular speedbump.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

So I caught up on the latest two issues (forget the numbers, so maybe another has come out since I bought them). All in all, its not bad and I think PAD has regained his footing a bit. However, the series is still not great; its still not as good as it was.

I'm glad to see Layla back and I actually like that she's aged a bit. I even like the potential Madrox/Layla romance that will build over time. That whole thing is something I'm enjoying, and I'm looking forward to when Jamie meets back up with Siryn and Monet with Layla.

But the potential future timeline thing...ugh. I'm so tired of these stories. And I still can't help but feel like it doesn't count because I know how fickle comic book continuities are. The Dr. Doom thing actually didn't feel right to me at all. I hated it.

Meanwhile, the other stories are moving along but don't really feel that interesting.

The art is okay. I miss the noir, darker, scratchier feel.

And the Rictor/Shatterstar kiss? Well...it felt kind of forced. Like PAD was encouraged by the internet and basically let them dictate where to take the story. It just didn't feel right. Maybe he can turn that around. I only really know Rictor from this series and barely know much about Shatterstar, so I could follow the story anyway he takes it, but he needs to make it feel natural. Hopefully he will.

I'm still enjoying but I don't think I could honestly encourage people to start buying again or not drop the title.

Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
While I've grown to like Layla, I still think of Jamie and Rahne as a couple, in my head.

Naturally, I choose the only (female) member of X-Factor he *hasn't* been hooked up with...

The 'kiss' did seem fairly shocktacular, and I'm kinda waiting to find out that it meant nothing (Shatterstar then goes on to kiss Guido, and says, "What? I've been in Mojoworld for X years, it's how we say, 'hi.' You don't do that here?") or something, to make it feel less like a gimmick.

While I'm all for more of the gay in comics (and, if at all possible, some gay characters who don't necessarily fall over with their legs in the air for *every* other gay person they meet), the driver shouldn't be taking direction from the passengers, and sometimes, two dudes can even be friends, without it meaning something deeper.

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Take a look at the X-Factor #50 cover, Set.

And Teh Lobe hinted at this in his X-Force run, PAD didn't pull it up out of nowhere.

--------------------

Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Set:
While I've grown to like Layla, I still think of Jamie and Rahne as a couple, in my head.

Naturally, I choose the only (female) member of X-Factor he *hasn't* been hooked up with...

I do thatall the time. Sometimes with characters who've never actually met.

Yeah, Loeb dropped hints, but his run was a complete disaster, so I've got no problem if other writers ignore it.

I can't comment much on David's take, since I'm still behind on reading it, but I got the impression that Shatterstar initiated the kiss, which seems rather out of character regardless of sexual orientation.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
Take a look at the X-Factor #50 cover, Set.

Any idea where I could see that? CBR doesn't have any reviews newer than 46...
Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You should be able to find it in the (October?) solicitations.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  21  22  23  24  25  26  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.