Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Random DCnU Revue (Page 23)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24   
Author Topic: Random DCnU Revue
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought Sword of Sorcery was pretty solid. I can't say I'm completely in love with it or anything, but it's definitely quality stuff. It's a book that I'm really pleased exists, and definitely one I'd recommend to any comics-curious chick-friends.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Reposted for new page (in case it was missed):

quote:
Originally posted by Lard Lad:
Yeah, DCnU has quickly lost pretty much all appeal to me. So much so that I've entertained the notion of dropping EVERY BIT of it a lot lately, so I can prospect into even more awesome indies! Even the ones I still like well enough(such as Batman, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Flash, Catwoman etc.) just don't feel like MUST-READS, y'know? At no point have I EVER felt (at least since I was 11 and went X-Men crazy) like I could drop the entire DC line, but I've felt like that since the "new"-ness of the New 52 wore off a few months ago.

Part of this, I know, is that the superhero genre has slowly been losing its appeal for me over the last few years with stories of any real consequence having their effects undone after a short while. As you realize more and more that these characters are more of a brand now than they ever were before,it just seems pointless to read about them and drop a lot of dough on them. The real action is in the indies where the creators have full control of their properties and do whatever they want to with them and do ground breaking things outside of the spandex genre.

But also, with the DCnU, I miss my damn continuity and the universe I was attached to before! I can see now how hardcore pre-Crisis fans felt when all their toys were taken away. I was still a kid when that happened, and even then, I had some misgivings. But now, as an adult fan who experienced the universe as it was since I was 15 (albeit with serious flaws within it), I find that this reboot took away most of what I loved about that 26-year continuity only to tell mostly mediocre-at-best sories with that clean slate.

I'm about to trim my DC pull list again. I'll give a handful of titles a few more months. But the possibility of my dropping ALL DCnu titles completely is there and getting realer and realer every day.Even my beloved LSH (which I've collected faithfully since the mid '80 theu relaunch after relaunch) won't be spared much longer. (I already dropped Legion Lost months ago.)

Well, today I went ahead and deleted all DCnU books off my pull at the CBS with the sole exception of LSH, which I'm giving at least a temporary reprieve because of my love for the characters.

The hardest to cut were Batman, Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The latter two are just too long and draggy in their storylines. As for Batman, I figure I'll pick up a trade every once in a while...if I feel like it.

There's still a chance I might buy some off the shelves, particularly if there are some lean weeks here and there. But the goal is to get nothing but books that I'm really looking forward to from now on. The more moohlah I have left to sample potential creator-owned gems, the better. No sense wasting my time and money on corporate crap that feels stale and recycled.

I should also note that I picked up Sword of Sorcery today because I had a good feeling about it. Perhaps that'll make two DCnU books on my pull?

(Vertigo titles I get are unaffected, of course.)

I feel like women must feel when they burn their bras!!! [LOL] [Styx]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
Lard Lad's New Theme Song

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Legion Tracker
Veteran

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Legion Tracker           Edit/Delete Post     
Lardy, it's been two months since I emptied my pull list ('cept for LSH). I don't even look at the racks when I stop by the CBS to get the LSH books. I flipped through my past several months' books tonight to find a recent LSH issue, but wasn't even tempted to feel nostalgic. Looks like I'm done....

(I did pick up the Peter Panzerfaust trade last week which I ordered back when. Now that is a good one.)

--------------------
"Been killed--didn't like it." (Duplicate Damsel, Legion of Super-Heroes #10)

From: Groga | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Well, Trackey...in my case I'm just dumping DCnU, not comics in general. There's still a LOT for me to get excited about in comics, but I'm accepting that DC (and all but 4 Marvel titles for the moment) has been more of an obligation and a habit than anything else.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Legion Tracker:
(I did pick up the Peter Panzerfaust trade last week which I ordered back when. Now that is a good one.)

Yes! Glad you liked it! I told ya it was awesome! [Smile]
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I also ordered it but only got through the first few pages before setting it aside. I'll give it another chance when time frees.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm proud of Lardy for cutting his ties to books that feel like obligations. You've concinved me to go ahead and dump SUPERMAN and SUICIDE SQUAD.

Of course, I am still enjoying AQUAMAN, STORMWATCH, EARTH 2, WORLDS' FINEST, FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE, TEEN TITANS, JL, LLOST and LSH so I'm not out of the DCU by any means. Also, I am giving Marvel a fair shake to win me back to a few books with Marvel-NOW launches.

I'm amazed at how many Image books I'm getting these days too.

Anyhoo, back to Random DCnU reviews:

I really enjoyed HE-MAN & THE MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE! And since Giffen is coming onboard, I added it to my pull-list.

The LOOKER 1-shot was alright, nothing earth-shattering but I've been a longtime fan of Looker and enjoy her as a vampire [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Woman #14
I've been curious about this for a while. I think the new universe of Wonder Woman is a good hook but, I think it would be far better served by Image comics.

The Wonder Woman bathing suit dosn't seem to fit inthis story. I'd say let Wonder Woman be a super hero in JLA and Diana the adventurer in her own book.

UNFORTUNATELY .... this issue was drawn by a fill in artist! With Cliff Chiang doing the cover! argh! I HATE that.

It's very hard to jump into this book, as the cast and story is about Zeus' multitude of characters and children.

Overall, it was ok. I liked the New Olympians.

The book has me curious, especially since the New Gods are being introduced into the new DCU.

I'll probably get the New Gods story arc.

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Batwoman #14

so good I tried to look for 13, that I missed, but couldn't find it.

The previous stories all culminate in a grand conspiracy plot. I was turned off at first when Wonder Woman showed up ... it's Batwoman's book ... but actually the interplay between them is well done.

I would give it 5 Superman Xs except ... I feel like ... it is not the most original plot and the plot is a bit convenient. The art and the dialogue are fantastic though. Can't wait for Bats and Wonder Woman to kick some butt against overwhelming odds!

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jay Kay
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jay Kay   Email Jay Kay         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
Wonder Woman #14
I've been curious about this for a while. I think the new universe of Wonder Woman is a good hook but, I think it would be far better served by Image comics.

The Wonder Woman bathing suit dosn't seem to fit inthis story. I'd say let Wonder Woman be a super hero in JLA and Diana the adventurer in her own book.

UNFORTUNATELY .... this issue was drawn by a fill in artist! With Cliff Chiang doing the cover! argh! I HATE that.

It's very hard to jump into this book, as the cast and story is about Zeus' multitude of characters and children.

Overall, it was ok. I liked the New Olympians.

The book has me curious, especially since the New Gods are being introduced into the new DCU.

I'll probably get the New Gods story arc.

[Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El] [Superman X - Kell-El]

Funny you should say that, because Glory right now from Image's Extreme line (yes, I know) has some common similarities, but also diverges in different ways (key being that even though she is a warrior, Wonder Woman's heart and capacity for love never waivers, making her the sole rock of the story; whereas Glory is almost just as much of a destructive force than the enemies she's against). I'd definitely check it out, if not for the striking art by Ross Campbell.

-

And yeah, they've been doing the rotating artists thing with this other artist, Tony Atkins, for a while now. Chaing will do four issues or so, then Atkins will fill in for an issue or two. Chiang will do the next two issues, though.

From: Arizona | Registered: Oct 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Gail Simone off Batgirl. *SIGH* With the attendant articles at the comic book sites, just more evidence that DC is shooting itself in the foot. It saddens me, because DC has some of my favourite characters, their books are becoming unreadable and I really haven't taken to any of the new characters they've introduced.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

CBR is doing a poll on bringing back certain DC characters:

Wally West

Donna Troy

Stephanie Brown

Ted Kord

Ralph and Sue Dibny

Aqualad

Majestic

Jackson King

Renee Montoya

Jacob Marlowe

My visceral reaction was "NO, NOOOOO, noooo :whimper: don't bring them back ... don't ruin them ... it won't be good if DC brings them back."

Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

quote:
Originally posted by Power Boy:
CBR is doing a poll on bringing back certain DC characters:

Ralph and Sue Dibny

Hasn't DC done ENOUGH to these characters???!?!??!?!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Any character DC is not using is better off that way. [Yes]

Sucks about Gail but not a surprise. I personally hope Batgirl becomes a sales failure because in my old age I'm becoming more and more jaded.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 24 pages: 1  2  3  ...  20  21  22  23  24   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.