Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Zorro. from Dynamite Ent. (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Zorro. from Dynamite Ent.
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
What's weird about the Jon Carter property is that only a year or less after Dynamite's launch, Marvel is publishing its own adaptation of "A Princess of Mars", along with other Jon Carter-related titles. I mean, it's not surprising because of the upcoming movie (and its being released by Marvel parent Disney), but I can't recall ever seeing 2 comic companies simultaneously publishing one particular license. (I mean, Jon Carter, etc. aren't public domain now, are they?) I'm sure it has something to do with the two companies publishing the property under different headings (one is WoM, the other JC), but it certainly seems peculiar and even a little counterproductive.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Jon Carter is indeed public domain.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
The first issue of Flash Gordon can be read here:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=preview&id=11070

From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
^ While the first issue was good, the second issue was actually quite an improvement! I liked it quite a lot and have decided to collect the series going forward.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Very nice to hear. Always loved Flash Gordon. I loved the subtle nods to the cheesy 80's movie in the first issue.
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Dev - Em:
Jon Carter is indeed public domain.

While the novels are mostly in public domain, I'm pretty sure the character, like Tarzan, is still under control of Edgar Rice Burroughs, Inc.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

^good point. All I know is that I can get the books for free on Kindle.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
While Warlord or Mars and Lone Ranger are the clear best of the best IMO from Dynamite right now, Zorro by Matt Wagner continues to deliver a solid outing month in and month out, as Wagner marches onward to the finale of his Zorro run.

The big difference between this 12 issue arc and the prior 24 issues is the lack of the amazing Francisco Francavilla. The artwork is still quite good; but its missing that little extra something that Francavilla delivers, which helped make it 'so good my eyeballs melted' previously.

Wagner has had some major things happen to Zorro during this arc, as well as move along the story of his antagonists, which hopefully is coming close to a quasi-definitive conclusion. The big intro is Lady Zorro, whom I admit I know nothing about, and so far its a very interesting subplot about to reach fruition.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.