Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » the ALL-Let's Choose a Comic for EDE to Start Reading thread! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: the ALL-Let's Choose a Comic for EDE to Start Reading thread!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I absolutely know a TPB that Eryk will FLIP OUT over should he purchase it: Green Hornet: Year One by Dynamite Entertainment. This is the Matt Wagner one, *not* the Kevin Smith one. It's so good that it actually causes me physical pain to know comics can reach this level of quality but usually don't.

I also recommend the first trade of the Zorro series by Dynamite (also by Matt Wagner).

These two series will show why these two characters are so popular but they are not slaves to nostalgia. In fact, they are so good that if Eryk reads them, I full expect him to hop in his car, drive to my house and buy him several beers in thanks. :nods:

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I wonder if EDE will really check out any of these trades?

Somehow I feel he is merely toying with my emotions!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Further opinions on this topic?

I listened to a couple of episodes of the Green Hornet radio series to other night, and so I'm really considering it...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Chief Lardy:
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

CHEW I dunno anything about trade-wise.

Chew has three trades out already. In a world where chicken has been outlawed, the FDA is a powerful government agency. Agent Tony Chu works for the FDA, and he has a talent invaluable to them: the ability to eat anything and then be able to learn anything about what he's tasted. Sometimes, well, he samples dead dudes, and hilarity ensues!

It's a totally fascinating and unique series that mostly has a darkly comical tone to it. There's a large over-arching story that never fails to intrigue. The art is on the cartoony side but totally fits the tone of the stories. Definitely one of the books I most look forward to reading every month! I'm sure, though, that the trades would be an even more satisfying experience for you, Edie, that being your preference.

I MEAN it, Edie! If you try Chew and don't enjoy it, then you're just dead inside. REALLY!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with the Chief on this one. Get Chew...asap.
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Further opinions on this topic?

I listened to a couple of episodes of the Green Hornet radio series to other night, and so I'm really considering it...

Knowing your tastes (somewhat) and confident in the high quality of the series, I know you'll love it!
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

PS - Zorro is equally as good and the art is beautiful to behold!
Eryk Davis Ester

Green Hornet Year One and Zorro, Vol 1 ordered!

Chew next on the agenda!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yes! Can't wait for your reviews!!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
Chew next on the agenda!

YES! Make it ASAP!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I now have GH:YO in my possession, and have read #1!

If the quality holds up to the level of the first issue, expect review overflowing with enthusiastic praise circa Monday!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
It will & can't wait! I knew you'd like it!
Eryk Davis Ester

So, one way of knowing that a comic is good is when it makes you think about just how awesome the particular character it features is. I had this feeling while reading Green Hornet: Year One.

There are a number of super-heroes that have a connection to newspapers. But unlike Superman, for whom the newspaper is first and foremost a convenient place to gather information, or Spiderman for whom it is a convenient job given his tendency to be there when news is happening, the Green Hornet, as emphasized by Wagner, really embodies the ideals of journalism.

Britt Reid is the second generation owner of the Daily Sentinal, and inherited from his father the quest for truth, to expose the racketeers and corrupt politicians who prey upon the weak and innocent. In a society in which news is almost always filtered through a particular some particular corporate/political agenda, it's refreshing to read about a character who is really out to expose the bad guys just because they're bad.

Of course, part of the Green Hornet story is that sometimes journalism is not enough. In the classic Green Hornet radio stories (and the 60s TV show utilized this format as well), Britt and his reporters would pursue a certain issue as far as they could, until they hit a stumbling block (usually conveniently about halfway through an epidose), and he'd go into action as the Green Hornet. The basic schtick of the Green Hornet, of course, is that he poses as a criminal who imposes himself into the operations of the bad guys in order to gather further information and shut them down.

So, I haven't talked much about the book itself, but it's a really sweet account of the origin of the Green Hornet, as we see his first major operation in the GH identity interspliced with various scenes of his and Kato's growing up, and the path that led their meeting and their quest against evil. There were a couple of points at which I felt the story was being dragged on a bit long (the old "writing for the trade" problem), but overall the pacing was pretty solid.

Anyway, good stuff overall!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Great point about the way media is portrayed in GH:Y1. It really is held in high esteem, as it was in the 30's pop culture.

Really glad you enjoyed it! Wagner seems to be a master of showing why these characters are so damn cool in the first place. He accomplishes the same thing in Zorro.

Eryk Davis Ester

Chew Vol 1-3 and Zorro Vol 2 shipped today!

Zorro reviews to come!

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.