Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Are you a Patsy Walker fan? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Are you a Patsy Walker fan?
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I was disappointed with how frivolous the first issue was, and lacking the sharp wit and the tension of the MCP serial.

I'm not dropping it, but if it hasn't improved by the halfway point, I might.

What a letdown. [Frown] [sigh]

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
[Bump]

Bumping this thread in honor of Legion World's # 1 Patsy fan, Lash!

Patsy will next be seen in the mini-series "Heralds", co-starring with Monica Rambeau and Jen Walters. I am so there!

--------------------

cleome46
or you can do the confusion 'til your head falls off

Icon 1 posted      Profile for cleome46   Email cleome46         Edit/Delete Post     
I still remember being weirded out by that DeMatteis arc in Defenders where Patsy and Damon had the, uh, hots for each other, and Damon's dad was messing with their minds by claiming that she was Damon's sister.

Nowadays, it would weird out the fans more if nobody bothered to make that connection.

[sigh] You kids today... [No] You just don't know...

[gets more Ensure and goes off to play shuffleboard at the park]

--------------------
Hey, Kids! My "Cranky and Kitschy" collage art is now viewable on flickr. Drop by and tell me that I sent you.

From: Vanity, OR | Registered: Dec 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I sort of liked the Hellcat in Alaska story, although it wasn't great, it had its moments. It was a bit goofy.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

I do think the Hellcat in Alaska story got better as it went along, and overall I'd concur with FC. I don't recall why I didn't post about it at the time, but better late than never.

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The first issue didn't really grab me enough to pick up the second. While I want to like a series of Hellcat minis or an ongoing, they need to really have the quality there.

I may browse Heralds in the CBS but I won't pick up unless I get some good reviews here on LW.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't followed all the incarnations of Patsy/Hellcat, but I wonder if Marvel has really settled on how they want her personality to be.

The original Patsy was very capable and sensible - the fashionista goofiness is something that only emerged in retrospect, reading those stories with today's perspective. I haven't had a problem with the mini-series depicting her as a bit of an airhead, but that characterization doesn't fit with any serious superhero story (unless Giffen could manage to cross her over into some Justice League International revival).

However, in those incarnations, she's been a nice change from the oh-so-capable superheroines. Maybe it's just my own perspective that isn't settled - I can't make up my mind which sort of Patsy/Hellcat I'd prefer.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I will always adore Patsy (and I got the AVENGERS tpb which features her intro) but I admit not buying after issue 1 of her last mini.

I also saw her on the covers of MARVEL DIVAS, but the cover art put me off a little.

Did anyone read that mini? Should I roll my pennies and get the TPB?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Set
There's not a word yet, for old friends who've just met.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Set   Author's Homepage   Email Set         Edit/Delete Post     
I used to be a big Defenders fan, but the storylines around the the Hellcat, Devil-Slayer, Gargoyle, Cloud, Madcap, etc. seemed to yaw from incomprehensible to awful.

I think I read the stories mostly to see what Doctor Strange and the Valkyrie were up to!

Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Lash, sorry I missed your question the first time around. The answer would have to be a categorical no. Marvel Divas was a waste of paper.

quote:
Originally posted by Fanfic Lass:
Patsy will next be seen in the mini-series "Heralds", co-starring with Monica Rambeau and Jen Walters. I am so there!

So Heralds #1 came out this week.

I can sum it up in a nutshell: great story (by Kathryn Immonen), bad art.

I'll stick with it because I like the story, but I think for most people it'll be a case of wait-for-the-trade.

It's coming out weekly BTW, but it's only six issues, so I imaging the trade will be out soon.

--------------------

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I had the exact same response to Heralds- good story, weak art. It's sort of a sequel to DIVAS- at least it continues the out-of-nowhere friendship between Monica (the former Captain Marvel) and Patsy. I guess that's really the only carry over. That and the horrible hair-do they've saddled Patsy with. When she's off-panel for a page or two, I have to remind myself just who she is when she reappears.
From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Agree on all counts, Todd. And I would only add that Jen looks terrible with her hair pulled back. Hopefully she'll shake it loose at some point.

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm surprised to hear about these Marvel books with bad art.

Thanks for saving me money on DIVAS, FFL! [Smile]

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Always happy to help. [Smile]

I think the problem with Marvel is that their superstar writers have their pick of the best artists, and the non-superstar writers (Kathryn SHOULD be a superstar -- she actually got me to like Emma Frost in Heralds #1, for heaven sakes -- but she isn't) have to settle for less.

--------------------

future king
Excuse me but can you please direct me to the La Brea Tar Pits in Los Angeles?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for future king   Email future king         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a Hellcat fan ... but ONLY if George Perez is drawing her!
Yeah man, rock on!!! [Smile]

From: ontario | Registered: Feb 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.