Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Freedom Fighters (spoilers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Freedom Fighters (spoilers)
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
Cool 3 new members. We know about Miss America from the cover shots and the hint at the above link SCREAMS Red Bee so who is the third?

--------------------
I take pride in my mental instability.
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tekwych   Author's Homepage   Email Tekwych         Edit/Delete Post     
Check out the cover for the final issue of the mini. I like the new Red Bee but there is no Ray. Instead there is a blacked out figure.

Any ideas?
 -

--------------------
Go! Figure

From: New Mexico | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
The speculation is that the Ray depicted on this cover might be Ray Terrill, hence the blacked out image.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
God, I love this comic. It was *so* twisted to read Miss America as Father Time's handmaiden. But just when I realized how disturbed I was with all those "so and so is dead" comments, Joan Trevor, the real Miss America, shows up. I canNOT wait till the next issue! Wonder if she'll somehow regress in age to take on the new Missie? Will Uncle Sam accomplish this? I hope she (Joan) sticks around.

I think the whole subtheme of assuming a dead or discarded superidentity is really interesting-- particularly in counterpoint with what's going on with INFINITY, INC over in 52. And, possibly, with S&TLSH.

I don't quite know what statement DC is making about their properties, but it's clear that *something's* in the wind.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Joan Trevor's gonna rip out her weave.

I thought the new male character was the new "Invisible Hood". maybe he's the blacked out flying person.

cool new red bee. what are the new miss america's power...she takes every one out with negativity.

i like all the heroes i hope they all survive.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
I assume the Miss America that is working with Father Time will go up against the real Miss America, and tell her she has no powers, not realizing it will cancel out her own abilities too... (half kidding here, but I think that would be funny).

And I would hope that is the Ray that has been hidden from view on the final issue, but with the shadowy figure DC has put there to mask the hero's real identity, it sure looks like Obsidian will join the FF, doesn't it? [Wink]

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

I think the whole subtheme of assuming a dead or discarded superidentity is really interesting-- particularly in counterpoint with what's going on with INFINITY, INC over in 52. And, possibly, with S&TLSH.

I don't quite know what statement DC is making about their properties, but it's clear that *something's* in the wind.

I've noticed this as well. You would think that the statement is that "it's not the name that makes the hero." But who knows. Perhaps it has something to do with the Siegle v DC case and the decision to make it SuperMAN and the Legion of Super Heroes as well.

Maybe they should have saved the name "Identity Crisis" for 52! Or maybe it should be "52: Identity Crises" [Big Grin]

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Originally posted by Disaster Boy:

I thought the new male character was the new "Invisible Hood". maybe he's the blacked out flying person.

I'm not familiar with Invisible Hood. Is he a Quality Comics hero also? I did notice that they introduced someone that was dressing in all black along with the Red Bee in this past issue, but I had no idea who it could be.

--------------------

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

I've noticed this as well. You would think that the statement is that "it's not the name that makes the hero." But who knows. Perhaps it has something to do with the Siegle v DC case and the decision to make it SuperMAN and the Legion of Super Heroes as well.

Maybe they should have saved the name "Identity Crisis" for 52! Or maybe it should be "52: Identity Crises" [Big Grin]

On the other hand, it could simply be that the legal department has ordered the use of the names in order to fulfill the legal stipulations required to maintain the rights to those characters. [Big Grin]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Vee:
I'm not familiar with Invisible Hood. Is he a Quality Comics hero also?

Yep.

His stories ran in Smash Comics. He's one of the earlier Quality superheroes, debuting in 1939.

He was first killed off in All-Star Squadron when he was one of the bunch of Freedom Fighters who got killed off trying to prevent Earth-X's Pearl Harbor. But that got retconned away. Later James Robinson had The Shade and The Mist mention that they had killed him off in 1974.

No idea if they will bother to expand on that, or even change it again. No reason to, really.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
superboymddjr
Quiet member

Icon 1 posted      Profile for superboymddjr   Email superboymddjr         Edit/Delete Post     
or is it Blindside - grandson of Invisible Hood?
From: Hayward, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tekwych
Magikal Mystikal Wych!

quote:
Originally posted by superboymddjr:
or is it Blindside - grandson of Invisible Hood?

Which would give them a reason to continue the series and tie it into the new JSA title, maybe as a second feature, anthology style. I would love to see the All Stars brought back in some way, a title with the JSA, FF, and ASS would be SWEET

--------------------
Go! Figure

Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
"There she is, Miss America
There she is, your ideal
The dream of a million girls who are more than pretty can come true
in Atlantic City
For she may turn out to be the Queen of femininity

There she is, Miss America
There she is, your ideal
With so many beauties she took the town by storm
With her all-American face and form

And there she is
Walking on air, she is
Fairest of the fair, she is
There she is - Miss America"

Joan Dale Trevor, welcome back to the DCU. Here's hoping you get a nice, long stay.

I am loving this book. PLEASE tell me it's going to be an ongoing. If nothing else, the Freedom Fighters should definitely guest star in JSA, since legacy is a big part of both groups.

Once Carter is firmly back 'on the scene', a FREEDOM FIGHTERS/HAWKMAN crossover would be very welcome. Utilizing some more 'rediscovered' golden age baddies. Maybe Quality ones, this time. (Note- I've never actually read Quality Comics featuring the characters making up the Freedom Fighters. Just as I've never read golden-age Hawkman, outside of JSA stories in the 100-page spectaculars of the 70s. I appreciate, an understatment, the 'fleshing out' of characters from those days, putting them forward for new audiences as characters that *have* history, but *aren't* history.)

Maybe Invisible Hood's death was a fakeout. Uncle Sam was precognizant enought to summon whoever it is facing Black Condor and Phantom Lady at the mesa, so maybe he anticipated Stan Silver's betrayal down to his choice of victim. I liked IH. If he's dead, maybe he has a twin brother, as his looks *were* a big part of his appeal. The reluctant hero bit was nice, too.

Red Bee, I'm still not sold on. She looks too much like Freefall from GEN 13, for me.

I also hope the Miss America robot is reconstructed, with a different ID. She was one unlikeable bitch-robot. A good thing in that most rare of comic book entities-- a credible female villainess that stays a villainess.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I think this series has really picked up and gotten better.

A few comments in brief:

- Ms. America space-rawks! Glad to see her shine.

Click Here For A SpoilerThe Ray betraying them and going bad...YES! Awesome news! Why? Because this means that perhaps this is the end of this Ray and we can get Ray Terrill back. If that's the case, then everything about this book would be great. The one thing that I cannot yet bring myself to love about this book is that Ray Terrill has been discarded. If they could right this wrong, I'd be very happy.

- Great scene with Black Condor and Phantom Lady. We get some actual real characterization for why she acts that way, and Black Condor gives her some much needed tough-love. Up until now, I've found this new Phantom Lady very annoying. I'm hoping there's more of this to come.

- Firebrand - his comments continue to crack me up. His being waaaay over the top as a 'lefty' are kind of fun. I know I'd be annoyed as hell if I met him in real life. Everything about this comic says 'over the top' and I'm taking that as just part of the comic, whereas I could see many being rubbed the wrong way by it.

- The Bride of Frankenstein - yes! Glad to see her, I wish Frankenstein would show up too.

- Uncle Same vs. Father Time - I'm ready. I'm also ready for 'Father Time's cannon-fodder' to be dunzo for good now.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Omni Craig
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Omni Craig   Email Omni Craig         Edit/Delete Post     
Cobie,

I couldn't agree with you more (especially the spoiler comments). That was my first thought when we saw the traitor's true colors.

This series has been very enjoyable, and has incredible artwork!

Hate to say goodbye to the Invisible Hood again so soon though...

--------------------
Craig C.

- Time travel stories are told in chronillogical order.

From: Santa Ana, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.