Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Agents of Atlas (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Agents of Atlas
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmmm. I thought there was an is she/isn't she thing going on with Venus. I really need to dig out that old What IF? issue.

Is that where you get that she was, in fact, the goddess? Or from her ATLAS COMICS stories? I've never read any of them-- though I'd kind of like to see what one was like.

Maybe this'll sell enough to convince Marvel to release a special or mini-series with samples of the '50s stories.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Ok, I loved it. As someone who was always into the obscure Marvel Boy (Quasar, Captain Marvel, etc, etc, etc) stuff...what are they gonna do here?! Is it going to be the new Marvel Boy? Is it a Titan eternal? Phyla possibly?

It's the original Marvel Boy, somehow back from the dead (no, he doesn't have the Q-bands now).

And you think Phyla would be "Marvel Boy"? [Roll Eyes]

quote:
Originally posted by Ultra Jorge:
Is this the same Gorilla Man from Howling Commandos???

Yes. It's even referenced.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I thought she was in fact the goddess, but I'm going by the reprints and synopses I'm familiar with.

UJ, this is indeed the Gorilla Man from the late and unlamented Howling Commandos.

I enjoyed this one a lot. The art was not the best work I've seen from Kirk, but it was decent enough. Much credit should go to the editor, whose name I've forgotten, who seems to have a jones for exploring old and underused Marvel characters.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Here's CBR's profiles on the characters again (I'm using the way they were described in the end as the link text, rather than their "real" names [Smile] - I didn't link to all of them before):

The Secret Agent, The Robot, The Mythic Beauty, The Spaceman, The Gorilla, The Mermaid (pic, since CBR didn't include it)

And writer's blog, artist's blog, Temple of Atlas

(EDIT: Fixing links in light of new series)

[ July 24, 2008, 09:43 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Mystery Lad, I believe the connection was made in the comic series Champions. Venus had her own series in the golden age (Atlas). Her alter ego was Victoria Starr.

"Aphrodite" later appeared in "Marvel" I believe in the Sub-Mariner series and then Thor.

In Champions #1 she has an alter ego again and calls herself Victoria Starr. Is Venus and Aprhodite the same person? Well Hercules calls her cousin in Champions #1.

But that doesn't have to be an official confirmation. Mythology continuity is even worse than comics. Aprhodite was his aunt, cousin, sister depends on who tells the story (or all the above as well). In other words they can easily explain them being different people.

But it appears they are not thus far. [Smile] (did that make sense???)

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
I am trying to remember in the Roger Stern Avengers when the Olympians appeared if she mentioned meeting the Champions? That would certainly confirm it.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

I **THINK** Marvel conflate the Greek and Roman gods, so you've got Zeus and Hera, but Hercules and Pluto.

--------------------

profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Venus (whose series was done by Bill Everett) guest-starred in SUB-MARINER #57 (also by Bill Everett!). She most definitely was the Goddess of Love, and in her human identity of Victoria Starr had become a school teacher (the same school where Namorita had enrolled). This story also featured Ares, who was in love with Venus, though she didn't return the feelings.

This got me wondering... since on the Kevin Sorbo HERCULES tv series, both Ares & Aphrodite were half-brother or half-sister to Hercules, which would make them brother & sister to each other, right? When that crossed my mind, I wondered if Bill Everett had slipped something by the Comics Code... (heh heh heh)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

The Greco-Roman gods were notoriously inbred - Hera was Zeus' sister, after all!

--------------------

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Feh to the American school system for not teaching the classics.

Zeus stories mostly involve him becoming a bull or something and raping a beautiful mortal woman while covering the sky so Hera wouldn't see. Getting that story through the CCA woulda taken some doing.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

*bump for issue 2*

-

[ September 06, 2006, 08:05 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I also fondly recall that WHAT IF? issue, and figured out too late that AGENTS OF ATLAS would star those characters. I'm going to try to find # 1 and get onboard!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think you'll be sorry, Lash. This is one of the best things Marvel's putting out right now.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I liked #2-- I think a reader could maybe even start with this issue without picking up #1, since it pretty much recaps what happened in that issue. A new reader wouldn't be totally lost, at any rate, especially if they had some knowledge of the characters' earlier appearance.

I was a *bit* underwhelmed by the artist's version of Venus. She was pretty, but not flat out beautiful, the way the character would be. It would've been a nice touch if she appeared as the tribe she was living with would've pictured as beautiful.

Marvel Boy/Bob Grayson's secrets are *verrry* intriguing. As is the upcoming character that's joining the cast. The Yellow Claw's a bit of a throwback, even more than talking gorillas or clunky robots. But we've just seen him for a panel. I fully expect he'll be updated, or broadened, by the time the series ends.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I also fondly recall that WHAT IF? issue, and figured out too late that AGENTS OF ATLAS would star those characters. I'm going to try to find # 1 and get onboard!

Issue 2 includes the words "These are friends. Could you please make sure they have food, drink and sex if they need it?" (and the reply "We will be happy to")

--------------------

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.