Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel] (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: DCU/DCnU Shazam [Captain Marvel]
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I thought TRIALS OF SHAZAM # 1 & 2 were FANTASTIC.

Looks like Freddie Freeman is going to be the hero to watch.

I want Mary out of that hospital bed!

Agreed on all counts! Glad to see that Freddie is going to shine here but I really want Mary out of the hospital and back in action as well.

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
YES! I haven't read much other Winnick, but this has been really good. It feels fresh and classic at the same time.

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
And Howard Porter's art-- it was alright on the RAY and JLA, but he's entering a category of his own on this book!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
doublechinner
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for doublechinner   Email doublechinner         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Lash, Porter's art is amazing. I thought I would hate the aged Captain Marvel look, but Porter has done a great job re-imagining the look of the character. If you designed old Shazam today, that's would he would look like.

One complaint: I really don't like the idea of calling Freddy "Shazam." I know DC doesn't own the copyright to Captain Marvel and all, but "Shazam" isn't a hero's name. If Freddy is Shazam, then he still can't say his hero name.

Wait! He can say "I'm Shaz...the hero formerly known as Captain Marvel, Jr." Yeah, that's it!

--------------------
...but you don't have a moment where you're sitting there staring at a table full of twenty-five characters with little name signs that say, "Hi, my superpower is confusing you!"

From: Chicago, IL | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Ish #3 is out. Winnick did a fine job juxtapose a fight scene with the real "trial" of the issue. Seeing Freddie admit his anger and move past it makes me like him more, and I've never been a fan. He always seemd to make Cap less special to me.

And Porter makes this a beautiful read.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
Sidekicks/knockoffs can do that. A lot of people feel that any other survivor of Krypton automatically diminishes Superman.

Me, I always preferred Cap Jr. for a number of reasons. That great Raboy art, for one.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And Freddie continues his quest. His appearance in this week's 52 doesn't match the Freddie we're getting here. I guess a year will do that to you.

Still a good story- we get to see Freddie becoming more of a man, and earning those qualities of the gods.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
A year, and having your world turned upside down.

I noticed they went with the red cape in #52.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Freddie continues his quest this week. And he faces off against our looming villain. Here's hoping when this is done, she becomes a routine thorn in the Marvels' sides.

Porter's artwork here doesn't look quite as clean as the first issue. He mentioned it was rather time consuming, and I think it's starting to show.

It's an exciting story, but nothing truly defining as a Marvel/Shazam specific one.

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I read # 6...

It continues to rawk, both story & art!

So, is Billy Batson pretty much out of the picture now?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
It looks that way. But I suspect that it won't last.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

I love Jr. and Mary and all, but don't want Billy to stay as the new Wizard!

--------------------

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

I don't mind Billy being the new wiz, as long as he's still out there throwing down with the baddies. I certainly don't want him sidelined for Freddie.
The Flying Fool
Eager Young Space Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flying Fool   Email The Flying Fool         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, I'll be a dissenter.

ToZ is interesting but by far, the better Shazam book is Jeff Smith's Monster Society mini. Smith gets it about the classic Shazam mythos. The art and story both combine to give you a wonderful sense of fun and light-heartedness.

Winick has done a good job with ToZ but I have to ask, must every DCU character be dark and gritty?
Billy is essentially done for, having to become the new Wizard and caretaker of the new punk'd out Rock of Eternity. I admit Freddie's time has come and this keeps in line with DC's new track record of 'promoting' sidekicks (see Conner, Bart, Donna, etc)

There have been some pretty good insights about the gods and their trails which have been interesting, but overall this mini seems to be taking Cap and Family onto a decidely darker path and I have to wonder if that's a good thing especially when you have Smith's work that is a fine celebration of his past.

--------------------
Space travel is engineering, time travel is magic.

From: The Bright, Sunny South | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

I don't think anyone disagrees with ya TDK. Smith is making the Marvel family and it's history work. Maybe more comics need to ignore "realism" and just go for the fun stories.

Between Wagner's Batman and Smith's Cap Marvel, they've demonstrated there is a market for it.

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.