Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Green Arrow (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Green Arrow
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
i can't stand Winnick's writing. The only thing worse that his taking over GA and ruining it for me (Have the Trevor Von Eden Mini, the Grell Longbow, the entire previous run, Kevin and Brad's stuff, dropped it when winnick hit) would be if they stuck him on nightwing.

We thought we had it bad with Grayson. The new guy isn't horrible, be he ain't great either. But if we got stuck with Winnick....man, that would kill the book for me completely.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a bit disappointed in the OYL GA. There's been very little action. Winnick said this latest issue would pick up the slack, but it sure didn't feel like it. We got a cool fight with Deathstroke, but it wasn't intense or exciting. McDaniel drew it, but it still feels like a waste of his talent here.

And I don't like Ollie being an expert in the arts martial- that was Connor's schtick. Give me the rough and tumble street brawler.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
*yawn* We got an issue devoted to recap last issue!!!!!!!!!!!

Ollie talks with his aide about Deathstroke's capture. We learn Ollie is real wealthy, and he played some dirty business to get that way. There's some nasty monster stuff brewing in the slums of Star City, and Brick is the only one in the way.

McDaniel draws some nice pictures. But there's no action. This title has lost all the energy Smith and Meltzer brought to it. Winnick had some good tales, and during IC it was exciting to see. But the inconsistencies and OYL have really killed my interest in this book.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

SPEEDY!?!?!
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Ever get the feeling you're talking to yourself?
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
And I don't like Ollie being an expert in the arts martial- that was Connor's schtick. Give me the rough and tumble street brawler.

I agree. The guy has arrows - he's gonna usually be outclassed and that's what's cool about Ollie because he manages to triumph anyway, taking a lot of hard knocks along the way but never giving up. It's less so when he's all "super-martial artsy".
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Finally McDaniel gets to draw some motion. Too bad it's all just training montages for Ollie. So now we know how good a fighter Ollie is, and how he made all his money.

This title isn't the snooze fest Hawkgirl or Nightwing is, but it needs something more. Some bad guys and crimefighting.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm with you CJ. Its not a bad series--its pretty fun in fact with lots to applaud, especially McDaniel's art. But it is lacking *something*, whatever that is.

Having Speedy return and now showing her and Conner with Ollie during the missing year is a plus.

I've never warmed up to Winnick's villains, but love his use of Deathstroke here.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

And we've got the story behind Ollie's year. He spend s most of it on an island, training to be a btter fighter. This issue he explains how the old method (bow and arrows) wasn't enough anymore.

There's more action here as Ollie takes on a horder of assassins sent by one of his teachers to break his moral code. There's a lot of fighting, and McDaniel gets to shine. It's fluid and pretty and fun to see Ollie's big face off.

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Anyone reading Connor's mini?

And the new issue has some more energy to it, with a Batman guest appearance.

I'm still waiting for Judd to let McDaniel cut loose

CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

The Bat really seems to have energized this title. Judd has given Speedy a sassy side. And he seems to have nailed the Ollie/Bruce relationship. Having them trade off Brick and the Red Hood has me waiting for the next issue- a first since OYL.
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Judging from the lack of discussion, there's not much interest in GA these days. Which makes sense with the series ending in two issues.

Reading ish #73, I can see why. Ollie has become a Batman double. He's got multiple sidekicks. Speedy has even become an Oracle type info-gal. Roy's gone on to bigger and better while Connor has filled the Robin role.

The current city divided story is just re-hashing Bat's NML from a few years back. Even McDaniel did time over in the Butbooks.

I really miss the Grell and Dixon GA.

Hunt Drouin
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Hunt Drouin   Email Hunt Drouin         Edit/Delete Post     
CJ, is it worth picking up the last few issues? I'm intrigued by the Dinah/Ollie relationship and it looks like there's some big brewing going on there.

Can't believe she'd marry him, though, especially not with her chairing the JLA and with Sin (what is that woman thinking?).

From: Sacramento, CA | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Dinah popped up on the last page of ish 73. I'm guessing the last two issues will be Ollie pining over her as team Arrow takes down Brick and his generic meta underlings.

I'd skip it if you haven't been reading. With the Year One and the looming BC/GA relaunch, this story will get the trade treatment.

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.