Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What was so great about Preacher? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: What was so great about Preacher?
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Also loved Hitman in a big way, and loved it's ending too. Another masterpiece in it's own way. [Yes]

Lardy is dead on as to one of the major reasons why Preacher works in terms of depth of character. The Jesse / Tulip romance is one of the best ever in terms of it's sheer depth; the complicated struggles and how they'd be overcome because of a true, genuine connection is realistic yet also pure romance.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah. As over-the-top as it was with all its violence, gross-outs, blasphemy and potty humor, it's really those characters that make you love it. You wouldn't give two shits about how it ended if you didn't care about them.

That said, Preacher's still not for everybody. It's not for the easily offended, for sure. Hell, I think there were a few things in the series that even offended me! His The Boys is the same way. Ennis starts off both series with huge bombast, but when he really settles in, you really start caring.

I wonder if Cramer's tastes have evolved since she opened this topic so that maybe she would like it better. [Hmmm?]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I never followed Hitman until its end, alas.

PB, the Proud Americans TPB was were it really hit its stride. Both the character-focused bookends and the interior story arc.

Yes, Ennis was pushing boundaries of what he could get away with, but it worked. And at the end of the day he had a collection of rich characters that surpass anything gratuitous.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Went by the CBS ...

Proud Americans - check
Ancient History - check

Rainy day - check
Procrastination - check

There's a lot of Preacher love in this thread. I can't wait to see what you're all talking about.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I ate through the finale of Preacher this weekend.

It left me wondering "what does that mean?" not many comic books leave me inspired to wonder about their meaning ... or to want to understand it more.

even the best books I usually get it pretty easily but Preacher has me curious about what more I could get out of it on a second and/or slower read through.

now I want to reread it to catch all the layers of meaning throughout the series, and see how it led up to the conclusions of the final story arc.

There's a lot of 'there' there.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
The Flying Fool
Eager Young Space Cadet

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The Flying Fool   Email The Flying Fool         Edit/Delete Post     
I followed Preacher through about the first 1/3 of the run. Liked the concept and the building of the friendship between Cassidy and Jesse & the romance between Jesse and Tulip.

But I found that I had to be in certain mood to read it. It was dark, gritty, violent, and gory, not something I wanted to read every day.

So after Jesse went home to find his grandmother(?), I needed to take a break from it and never quite made it back.

Absolute favorite character however was Saint of Killers. Twisted idea yet so wicked.

--------------------
Space travel is engineering, time travel is magic.

From: The Bright, Sunny South | Registered: Apr 2007  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Re Preacher and Hitman, I just enjoyed them for the sheer mind-blowing craziness that went on in them. Ennis took some interesting ideas and just went on a major high of exploration. Like... wow.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
PB, I followed Preacher from the get-go back in the day, and I can still reread it and gain new insights. There indeed is a lot of 'there' in there.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I've reread it at least a half dozen times from start to finish and I always get something new at least once in every trade.

One of my favorite moments upon mulitple rereads: earlier in the series we meet the guy in Southwest who is blasting massive sized letters into the landscape so that from space you can read "FUCK YOU". A bit farther down the line, at the perfect moment when Jesse basically regains his perspective and will to 'fight back' against all the various antagonistic forces, the scene suddenly shifts back to this guy, as some astronauts from space see the "FUCK YOU" and are totally enraged by it. They are shown saying "some bastard wrote FUCK YOU into the landscape! Can you believe it?!" And then we see the guy cheering, jumping up and down.

It's ridiculous to the extreme--and hilarious beyond measure. But there's something kind of powerful about that moment. That was that guy's life work and it comes off as a smashing success. And its also the epitome of fighting back against authority and taking a stand. Which is a major theme of what Ennis is saying about the USA and the western genre in general.

It's a great example of Ennis' talent of taking something so outrageous / gross / hilarious and turning into something that is actually quite moving.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
My wife likes Zippo lighters, even though she doesn't smoke. Kind of a fascination with her dad's small collection of them.

Anyway, I keep telling her she needs to get one that says "Fuck Communism!" [LOL] I get a blank look because she never read Preacher. [Big Grin]

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Dev - Em
KIA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Dev - Em   Email Dev - Em         Edit/Delete Post     
Isn't the lighter referenced in Y as well Lardy?
From: Turn around... | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Yeah, IIRC, Yorick had a replica made or something, having been a fan of Preacher?

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

^ Yeah, that's right. I think they talk about it on the train.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Then there was that scene where the Saint of Killers (IIRC) was about to shoot Jesse.

Here we have an entity who never misses AND always inflicts a fatal wound (he's killed angels and more!)

Then Jesse uses his Word of God power and says...

"Miss".

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

This thread has caused me to start rereading Preacher! I had originally slated Y: The Last Man for my first summer reread, but this talk resparked my interest in Preacher.

I own Preacher in floppies, having bought them off the shelf back in the day. I've now reread issues 1-7, the equivalent of the first trade.

One thing that struck me in the first issue was a couple of big coincedences I don't remember noting before. Tulip happening to run into a vampire (series co-lead Cassidy) while fleeing mobsters was pretty big. But the two of them happening on Annvile just after the big cataclysm involving Tulip's ex Jesse whom she hadn't seen in five years and whom she had no idea was in Annville was pretty collossal! It took me out of the story for a little bit.

Another thing that people who experienced Preacher via trades are missing out on was the letter columns being answered by Garth Ennis! They were a real treat and are being reread along with the rest of the books. It's a real shame that DC did away with lettercols about halfway thru Preacher's run because I really missed them in Preacher particularly, even though Garth did some encores for issue 50 and the finale, iirc.

In retrospect Preacher isn't coming off as wild, risque and boundary-pushing as it did all those years ago, but one thing that stands the test of time is the overall high quality of both the story and especially characterization. The latter is something Garth Ennis has always excelled at. More than anything, it's fun catching up with some old friends.

I'll probably alternate reading chunks of Preacher along with my rgular stacks of new comics. It'll help me savor it more, I suspect.

One problem, though, is I'm missing issue 63 for some reason. Not sure what happened to it as my Preacher collection was complete. Probably mislaid in some random longbox it would take me ages to find. I'll have to track down a replacement before I get to that arc. No issue of Preacher is disposable or skippable, damnit! And it's one of the last few as well. [No]

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.