Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » GOOD Comics from the late 80's, early to mid 90's that got canned too soon (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: GOOD Comics from the late 80's, early to mid 90's that got canned too soon
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
Well... it seems to me that since MC was doing a #1, KG decided to do a #2...
Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I see your point that cooler heads should have prevailed, but being a bit of a short fuse myself sometimes, I sure can empathize with KG.

On a not-really related note, I was floored to see MC listed as editor of JLA CLASSIFIED # 4 (Giffen/Maguire's humorous Superbuddies followup). WTF?!?!?!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked-
Primal Force
Dr. Fate
Damage
Manhunter (Shaw)
Suicide Squad

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I wasn't really considering Suicide Squad as part of this era, since I consider it the era right before, when DC was still kicking ass and producing a plethora of damn good comics. In other words, I totally agree 'Gazer that Suicide Squad was freakin' awesome and something incredibly cool and original to come out! The first 30 issues or so were some of the best of the 80's.

Lash- I think you've pretty much summed up DC's attitude in the 90's: "who can pee on the Legion and JSA the most". Of course, lots of other characters got an unwanted golden shower during this period too...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
While I started this as a companion to the other thread, I'd happily expand its range to earlier or later periods. Good comics are good comics, no matter how few issues they ran!

STEEL, THE INDESTRUCTIBLE MAN -- Gerry Conway has a lot to answer for over the years (his tenure as Marvel's EIC in particular) but I LIKED this book. A WW2-superhero take on THE SIX MILLION DOLLAR MAN, with art by Don Heck, who'd been seriously getting the shaft from fans & lousy inking jobs for years by then. Teamed with Joe Giella (if memory serves) this was the best Heck's work had looked in years, and would only be out-done by the 2 issues of JUSTICE LEAGUE OF AMERICA he did inked by Brett Breeding (if only THEY had become a regular team). Sadly, this was a victim of the infamous "DC Implosion".

STARS AND S.T.R.I.P.E. -- Lee Moder's anorexic figures really got on my nerves on the LEGION, but here his "clean" style fit perfectly. At the time this came out, I found my tastes were changing more in favor of "light-hearted" material, and this book quickly became a fave of mine. At least Courtney became and has remained a steady member of the revived JSA, but she often is made to look much older than she should in that book.

OMAC (One Man Army Corps) -- FORGET the entire NEW GODS-FOREVER PEOPLE-MISTER MIRACLE-JIMMY OLSEN complex; never mind THE DEMON and KAMANDI; this was my FAVORITE Jack Kirby book from the early 70's!!! Talk about unrealized potential. Even generally bad inks couldn't destroy all the wild ideas Jack was employing here, or the fully unrestrained high-octane ACTION involved. The last story was cut short one episode too early, but luckily a couple of fans in England picked up the ball and did an unofficial OMAC #9 a few years ago-- which proved to be VASTLY superior to the ultra-violent atrocity Jim Starlin foisted on readers so long ago. NOBODY's really "gotten" this character since (with the exception of John Byrne, but HIS mini-series was so dark & convoluted it wound up self-destructing by the end) and I wish Kirby had been able to do more issues.

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.