Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Comics from the late 80's, early to mid 90's that Hands Down Absolutely Sucked! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Comics from the late 80's, early to mid 90's that Hands Down Absolutely Sucked!
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I just got BATMAN 550 out of the back-issue bins yesterday-- introducing Chase! JHW3 & Mick Gray split the art chores with regular Bat-artist at the time, Kelley Jones... welp, at least their pages were a feast for the eyes.

Now I have to track down the CHASE series! I know there was a DC 1,000,000 issue, but how long did the series itself last?

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Even though some occassionally may have been guilty pleasures, there were some Sheeeeeeeee-itty comics during this era!

For example:

DC
Justice League Task Force

JLTF's on the list? You go to Hell! You go to Hell and you DIE! [Wink] [Razz]

Once Priest took over writing this one, I loved it. The last issue, wherein Ray, Gypsy and Triumph finally work out their feelings, only to have the scene (indeed most of the comic)retconned out of existance by one of Neron's candles was truly heartbreaking. One of my favourite issues of all time - seriously. Triumph never worked when he wasn't written by Priest; elsewhere he was an annoying prat, but in Priest's hands, he was an annoying prat for a reason. And an entertaining one at that...

[ March 01, 2005, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Star Boy ]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"You go to Hell! You go to Hell and you DIE!"

Don't you have to do those 2 things in the reverse order? [Smile]

I could hear the voice of Mr. Garrison when I read that line... (heehee)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I think CHASE lasted 8 issues, Povvins, including the 1 Million issue, but I may be 1 off in either direction.

My favorite idea from the Chase series was the creation of the JUSTICE EXPERIENCE, a super-team created to exist in the 1960s/70s to "fill the gap" between the 1950s JSA and the formation of the JLA in the 1980s. What a concept, I loved it and stll to this day want a 1-Shot featuring the team!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Well, I found 1-3 on milehigh.com, and got 'em for around $2 each... also soaked up all teh miscellaneous one-shots I was missing to JSA RETURNS for roughly $1.25 ea; all of them in VFto NM condition. Also got several Batgirl and/or Harley appearances in the various animated Batbooks, and Astonishing X-Men #1 for $5. Good night for a little comics shopping... inspite of my crummy dial-up! [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
JLE was pretty horrible.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Chase also had a cool story that brought the Suicide Squad back after a few years of limbo. Besides Deadshot, not many traditional members, but a good story nonetheless.

StarBoy-- [LOL] I was really referring to the issues before Priest took over, but even then, I never really enjoyed JL:TF as much as his run on the Ray. Triumph just didn't do it for me, and L-Ron in Despero was just a character I didn't like. And the young Asian girl character introduced in The Ray (name slips my memory) was killed to quickly in JL:TF!

I also left out Damage, which absolutely sucked too! C'mon, no one can say they really liked that one...

And Steel was pretty much crap straight on through after an initial few good issues, all the way up until Priest's run. Then it got really good and was promptly cancelled...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
JLE was pretty horrible.

Oooooh yeah.

Actually, I liked the series briefly once the new team came out after Breakdowns, with Aquaman, Flash, GL (Hal), Batman showing up, Metamorpho showing up and then joining and Dr. Light II, who I really enjoy. But the stories were pretty weak, and the title slowly grew more boring. Once Hal went nutso in his own book and Aquaman joined, the series got relatively worse to the point of borderline crap.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

And at the risk of people thinking I have no love for the independents of the 90's, I did like these:

Archer and Armstrong
Solar: Man of the Atom (Dan Jurgens run)

Firearm
Night-Man (although it got weak)
The Strangers (ditto)

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by RTVU2:
Two comics that died way too early in the ninties was Chase and Chronos -Gabriel Walker.

Much agreed, Chase in particular. I should dig those issues out and re-read 'em someday.

I'll add the Challengers of the Unknown relaunch from that period as well. I liked it anyway.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

It -had- to be better than Chaykin's recent attempts, surely... [Wink] [LOL] [No]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
It was. Which isn't saying much, I know....

The new characters were interesting. The originals weren't napalmed to make room for them, but were instead "put on a bus" in an interesting way. The cases they investigated were intriguing and odd. Heck, one even revolves around Hypertime before it was called Hypertime (well in advance of the Kingdom), which makes me wonder if the Challs' writer just didn't beat the Kingdom crew to the punch.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by DrakeB3004:
JLE was pretty horrible.

Really? I liked JLE. Although, to be fair, they never explained in the story why the dying man said "braces" in the first issue. At least they did explain it in the lettercol. All the JL titles went downhill after Breakdowns, though.
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Luckily, I was more discriminating Vertigo-head by this point, as well as relatively broke, so I missed almost all of these. Glad to know my gut feelings at the time were right.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Star Boy
Cat Clan Commander

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Star Boy   Email Star Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
StarBoy-- [LOL] I was really referring to the issues before Priest took over, but even then, I never really enjoyed JL:TF as much as his run on the Ray. Triumph just didn't do it for me, and L-Ron in Despero was just a character I didn't like. And the young Asian girl character introduced in The Ray (name slips my memory) was killed to quickly in JL:TF!

And Steel was pretty much crap straight on through after an initial few good issues, all the way up until Priest's run. Then it got really good and was promptly cancelled...

Hehehehe - Mr Garrison quotes always guarantee a response. [Razz]
RE: JLTF... I really liked Triumph. If I was a founding JLA member that got trapped in a poxy timefart and no-one remembered me, I'd have a chip on my shoulder too. L-Ron wasn't a high point for me, but I really like the J'Onn, Ray, Triumph and Gypsy interactions.
And I agree, Mystek's death was sudden, annoying and somewhat unnecessary. I always wondered if there was an editorial push behind her death.

Steel was crap under Louise Simonson (highlighting the problem of hiring a little white woman to write about a big black man); but once Priest took over, it ascended to wonderful complexity... until it was cancelled. Loved Dr. Villain, Boris & Natasha, and the mildly surreal nature of the stories that Steel often found himself in...

Sigh... Why is Priest so unnappreciated? [Frown]

--------------------
Wayne@OZ

From: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.