Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Uncanny X-Men (Spoilers!) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: Uncanny X-Men (Spoilers!)
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
...Wow, such non-love.

I'm glad to see this character back, as it was all part of the plan back when she was killed, as part of an arc to restore her back to her good ol' British self, and it was used to establish that the new villain meant business by killing off a long-standing character.

And Alan Davis is near the top of his game with his work on Uncanny, and still brings far more variance to character looks than most of the industry.

So nyah!

=)

J

--------------------
"Why must power be so elusive?" - Zoe Saugin
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Don't get me wrong, J, I'm ONLY buying Uncanny for Davis' art... all right, I bought the Coipel arc also... [Wink]

But so far, all we've gotten from those arcs storywise is a) the launch of X-23 ( [Roll Eyes] ) and b) the return of yet another dead character. I find it hard to be all oogly moogly over the art when the stories are so pedestrian.

And the cover doesn't make it look like Betsy's gone back to her original appearance...

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
Not only were there too many psi's, there were probably too many "suddenly you're a ninja" characters on the team at the time too...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

So does that mean you won't be buying NinjaX this Spring, starring EleXtra, Dare(X)Devil, Psylocke and (you guessed it!) Wolverine?!

[ROTFLMAO] (Sorry, I crack myself up... [Big Grin] )

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Feh. I recently bought a few issues of the Claremont/Coipel/Davis and the Austen X-MEN books, but you know what I realized? I don't give a fat rat's ass about any of those characters anymore. Not one of 'em. They're kind of like Madonna's music... Once I loved it, but I've outgrown it, I guess.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, Betsy is still Asian. Just saying that I wouldn't be surprised if that's fixed before too long. On the other hand, it took four years to get through phase one of the plan. [Wink]

And Ninjax? Wasn't that a Valiant Comics? *grins*

J

--------------------
Enter Zoe's Closet

From: Everywhere, nowhere... | Registered: Dec 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Should bring back warm memories for Joey Quesadilla, then... he drew the first few issues of Valiant's Ninjax. But THIS would be NinjaX! With capital X! Because X makes everything better!!!! [Big Grin]

--------------------

ferroboy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ferroboy   Email ferroboy         Edit/Delete Post     
It's funny because I could swear I read an interview with Claremont last month where he states that Betsy is dead. Of course, I only scanned through UXM in the store because my time with Claremont books is over. Her hatred of Bishop is a little on the lame side, IMO.

Lash, I know what you're saying, and that's why I'm selective about which x-books I read. I did pick up Milligan's first issue of X-Men and it's decent. There was no moaning and complaining, no angsty characters, and, best of all, just about zero interplay between Rogue and Gambit. To be honest, I liked Rogue for the first time since the 1980s. You might want to give this book a try.

[ February 06, 2005, 08:24 AM: Message edited by: ferroboy ]

--------------------
Dan

From: Newburgh, NY | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Milligan wrote X-Force/X-Statix. That *is* tempting.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Haven't read the Milligan issue yet, plan on it.

Once again, I implore all of you to pick up Whedon's Astonishing X-Men! *Choke* Petey and Kitty are back to themselves again!

Claremont, as he's been for the last twenty years, is still hit or miss with me. I like a lot of what he does and how he writes characters, but there is just so much he does that gets on my nerves...

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
well. betts was one of my favorite characters. back before she got that makeover. and bafore she was split in two, or her power was or whatever i cant even keep track. nor do i care.

her character had a solid personality/identity before she was changed. maybe whedon should've brought her back.

claremont didn't even create her did he? i am/ was a big fan of claremont...his books helped raise me but, his writing now is really messy.

i agree on alan's art, he used to be one of my favorites but lately it's really cartoony.

i think we should have a betsy wake! my favorite betsy moment was when she held off sabre tooth way back when she joined the x-man. or when she suggested they kill havok when havok rejoined the team during the marauder massacre.

somehow her being brought back just makes me think she's really dead. that her charcter will just get more and more convuluded.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
They tried at one point to explain the whole Revanche/Betsy thing...and didn't exactly do a bang up job.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kinetix
Active

Icon 2 posted      Profile for Kinetix   Author's Homepage   Email Kinetix         Edit/Delete Post     
Claremont...I'm not sure if he created her, but he did have a hand in defining her character, as did Alan Davis, moreso Davis.

And of course Claremont said she was dead in that interview awhile ago, because she WAS dead. [Wink]

J

--------------------
Enter Zoe's Closet

Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
They're kind of like Madonna's music... Once I loved it, but I've outgrown it, I guess.

Lash don't fool yourself...you may have overheard Madonna for the last ten years and need a break. You will be dancing to it again in a couple of years. Trust me. [Big Grin]

I am glad Psylocke back but was hoping she wasn't a ninja again. Very confusing story overall. She is popular as a ninja but was hoping she was a bit more british again.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ghost of Numf El
Waste ....... Of Space!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ghost of Numf El           Edit/Delete Post     
It all reminds me of Winnie-The-Pooh.

Take any bog-standard pile of shit and stick a Winnie-The-Pooh character on it (whether it be Winnie, Tigger, Piglet or Eeyore) and everyone goes "Oooh, it's Winnie-The-Pooh, it must be good!" and spends their hard earned cash on it.

In this case, take a bog-standard pile of shit and stick an X on it........

Maybe the old adage is wrong - perhaps it is actually possible to polish a turd.......

From: Scatland | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.