Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » What's the Worst Comic Out There That You Made the Mistake of Buying (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   
Author Topic: What's the Worst Comic Out There That You Made the Mistake of Buying
kid chaos

Icon 1 posted      Profile for kid chaos   Author's Homepage   Email kid chaos         Edit/Delete Post     
I recently bought a bunch of dollar-bin AVENGERS from the mid-nineties involving "The Crossing" cross-over event.
I think my eye balls have cancer now.

And I must say that I thought the Wanderers series from the late eighties was pretty bad. I really tried to get into it, but found it utterly boring.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Avengers "The Crossing"...ugh...such utter crap...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Some of these send chills down the spine with bad memories!

My worst purchase was the entire set of The Invisibles, of which I'd read heaps of accolades. When I saw it on eBay, I went for it - and will never again buy that much stuff unseen. I know some people just loved it, but I thought it was unreadable - and I compounded the error by getting Anarchy for the Masses, which was supposed to explain the whole thing, and which just pissed me off.

I kinda liked Seaguy - but I really don't think it was very good.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rokk steady
Magically Delicious

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rokk steady   Email rokk steady         Edit/Delete Post     
I echo everyone here and name "Challengers" as the most sucky recent thing to come along in quite some time.

I also really hated the recent Catwoman/Batman Trail of A Gun thing from Ann Nocenti... absolutely terrible b/c it wasn't a story, it was a polemic, and not a particularly good one at that... and I pre-ordered BOTH crappy-ass prestige-format issues... AND she was preachin' to the choir to me b/c of my own experience with guns... couldn't they have at least marketed the story for what it was?.. yuck yuck yuck

--------------------
Why are you laughing at me? It's unkind, as well as puzzling!

From: City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone mentioned the Larsen/Busiek DEFENDERS fiasco? [Frown]

I still can't figure out how it got up to twelve issues. I managed to get up to number 8 before I finally had to throw in the towel.

I love the characters and the concept, and usually love Busiek's writing, so I gave this a chance to grow on me... it never did. Awful, awful, awful. Not even Carlos Pacheco's artwork on the follow-up(replacement?) series The Order could brng me back in for even a look.

You DO have to give 'em points for chutzpah, though... they apparently revelled in their shittiness. The blurb over the title on the cover of #8 reads: " 'The worst comic ever produced'--The Comic Journal"

It would've been funnier if it hadn't been so damn true! [LOL] [No]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I loved the Invisibles. to each their own...

My list generally dates to the 80s (as I was more selective by the 90s):
Sectaurs
the Thing
ROM
Captain America
Alter Ego
All-Star Squadron (post-Ordway)

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by rokk steady:
I echo everyone here and name "Challengers" as the most sucky recent thing to come along in quite some time.

I am now officially happy I passed on this.

For me, the most sucky recent thing to come along are Devin Grayson's recent issues of Nightwing, but I'm not buying that anymore, so maybe that doesn't count.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm finding it hard to think of anything I've ever hated as much as Graduation Day!

A truly, truly horrid pile of sh!t that failed (and worse) on every single level! And I'm not even that much of a Donna Troy fan - it was just honestly THAT bad.

After that (and for pissing all over all the good work that Brad Meltzer and Kevin Smith did on Green Arrow) Judd Winnick officially became the first and only writer on my "Never Buy Anything By Again" list.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
actually, Blacula indirectly reminded me of Another Nail, the most recent won't-flush-down I've picked up lately.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
So... what's done nothing for you lately?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Its been some time, but rereading this thread reminded me how bad Graduation Day was. It was probably the worst thing thats happened this decade.

If you don't count Countdown of course!!! Countdown is probably the single worst fiasco in the history of literature. Not since Agmar the Witch King's "Why its alright to eat little babies alive" circa 1130 A.D. has there been such a brutally horrible piece of crap.

But back to Graduation Day--it was so bad I decided to read The Titans East special and Titans #1 in the store, knowing that it was probably crap. Well, I was sure right! It was awful! First Titans ongoing comic in my lifetime I'm not picking up regularly!

Hm. Other really horrible series I bought...Supergirl is up there. Probably Supergirl is the biggest "how can this still be published?" comic of this era.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah- what a waste of Atom, Donna Troy, Trickster, Piper, Mary Marvel, Duela, Kamandi and even the New Gods COUNTDOWN was... it really should've been special and ended up anything but.

If it'd had a whiz-bang ending, the muddled middle would've been salvaged.

The glimmers of entertainment here and there sure don't make up for the tarnish now sticking to characters that I still really like, if a tad bit less.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I'm *really* glad I dropped it at # 26 now... I had high hopes because 52 was so good (I *still* miss Isis and Osiris).

Yeah, and I finally dropped Supergirl a few months back and haven't regretted it at all.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The creators of Countdown are a bunch of necrophiliacs when you consider what they did to the nostalgia for crossovers, which in truth was already pretty much dead.
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
My worst purchase was the entire set of The Invisibles, of which I'd read heaps of accolades. When I saw it on eBay, I went for it - and will never again buy that much stuff unseen. I know some people just loved it, but I thought it was unreadable - and I compounded the error by getting Anarchy for the Masses, which was supposed to explain the whole thing, and which just pissed me off.

I had a similar experience with another Vertigo series. Back in the 90s, I was in my late teens/early 20s and, as people in that age range often do, was trying desperately to be hip, so I bought a bunch of Sandman trades. I hated it. Hated, hated, hated it. I found it so pretentious and so impressed with itself and with so many moments of ugliness for the sake of ugliness and, most of all, so BORING! Ever since then, I've been suspicious of any comic that's labelled "hip," "edgy," or "ground-breaking."

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.