Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers) (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   
Author Topic: Astonishing X-Men Official Thread (Spoliers)
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I missed him. A lot. Colossus is one of my three favorite X-Men (with Kitty and Kurt), and I can't help but smile very widely to see him back. It bothers me when characters die and are resurrected (I really didn't want to see Jean back), but I can't help but be hypocritical when it's one of my favorites.

I'm glad he's come back! I LOVED Kitty's reaction. I'm glad he's back.

And death/resurrection aside, I think his personality would be a welcome addition to this team. Wolverine is repetitive sometimes and Beast bores me, so I know *I'll* be happy. Different opinions and all that [Big Grin]

One other point--I found those two young mutants that Ord attacked to be very likeable, in a small amount of time. I like Joss Whedon's writing style.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Psychout
Your mind is my playground

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Psychout   Email Kid Psychout         Edit/Delete Post     
apart from the whole Colossus thing (and to restate my general position; it's comic books people coming back from the dead is fine. as long as it's well done) i just love the interaction and dialogue.

Loved Josh and the others cutting off the Stepfords before they started off on one of their wierd expositionary tangents. If only people could do that whenever Claremont's Storm starts off on her "By the goddess, who's motherly yet strangely Darwinian ways have forced me to overcome my claustrophobia, that i developed as a child thief, and confront that i must save those who hate and etc etc etc

And i have to say that in only 4 pages he's made me care more for Hisako (call her GLO-BOT!)and Wing than in 15 issues of those pale new new mutants in X Academy.

And 4 issues of this book have been truer to the characters and made more sense than the whole Austen run on Uncanny.

From: Melbourne, Auz. | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Why's Josh literally bronze? Does that have something to do with his powers, or did he just go wild with the self-tanner?
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by STU:
Why's Josh literally bronze? Does that have something to do with his powers, or did he just go wild with the self-tanner?

He's not literally bronze (and he's meant to be gold-coloured anyway).

And what happened was that:

1) A while back (in Dream's End, which is getting TPBed very soon, including the death of Colossus...), Wolfsbane got depowered.

2) Later, when Rahne turned back up @ the Institute, she was acting far more aggressively than before (& supressing her accent) and Josh developed a crush on her.

3) Over a game of pool, Josh reasoned out that the reason for all this was that, subconsciously, she couldn't handle life without "the wolf." Eventually, they kissed and he healed away her powerlessness (before you bring up the obvious, I think he should have healed $%^&* retard-boy's "cure" away too, especially based on Beast's explaination of his power in NM12. Bad glitch there). Unfortunately, she lost control and ripped a big hole in him (Dani Moonstar talked her down later, but she's still having problems).

4) In the hospital, Josh's teammates managed to get him to wake up and get himself under control long enough to heal himself. For one reason or another tho, he turned himself gold in the process [Smile]

Oh, and read New X-Men: Academy X!!!

[ September 29, 2004, 04:20 AM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

quote:
Originally posted by Reboot:
4) In the hospital, Josh's teammates managed to get him to wake up and get himself under control long enough to heal himself. For one reason or another tho, he turned himself gold in the process [Smile]

Makes perfect sense. [Roll Eyes]

Maybe he should call himself Golden Boy... [Golden Boy]

Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Josh's advisor, Danielle Moonstar, reasoned Josh did it to himself. He's actually an omega-level mutant, whose powers allow him to alter the molecules of the body, though he has no idea of this and can only do the baseline healing he discovered.

Dani thinks he tried to change himself as he always had wanted to be the perfect, "golden boy" and now he would get some of the attention he craves by standing out.

EmeraldEmpress
Beautiful & Merciless

Icon 1 posted      Profile for EmeraldEmpress   Email EmeraldEmpress         Edit/Delete Post     
If Marvel bring back Psylocke in this series I'll be so happy.

--------------------
From Spain with glamour.

From: Valencia- Spain | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

They're saving that for Uncanny. [Big Grin]

Actually, I doubt they'd bring Betsy back (although I'd be really happy if they did), but it looks like another member of the Braddock family may be making a reappearance sometime soon...

Brainiac 5
Cobalt Kid's Spell-Checker and Pain in the Rear

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Brainiac 5   Email Brainiac 5         Edit/Delete Post     
I checked, and I'm surprised no one's got a thread running about this book. Quite simply, this is the best X-Men story and art-wise since the original Claremont-Byrne era. Joss Whedon is a friggin GREAT storyteller, and Cassaday's art is sheer poetry. The jet swirl of the "fastball special" was genius. I am truly astonished. A book that actually outdoes the hype that surrounded it.

[ January 19, 2006, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Pov ]

--------------------
There's room for all God's creatures...right next to the mashed potatoes!

From: the Detroit multi-lab | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Power Boy
Kick Nass Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Power Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Power Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
astonishing x men is great. joss really writes kitty pryde well, who is one of my favorites.

the four or five pages when kitty finds peter is great storytelling. i would be dumbstruck too. and then the conversaion after...was touching. im glad they brought back peter even if joss is only going to be on the book until #12. or so i hear from another legion worlder. but, cassaday has also done great work on the planetary series. cassaday is not stylistically stunning or styalized but i think he is one of the best storytellers out there. ever even.

i just hope emma frost dosnt have anything too sinister in store for kitty, but then emma always realized kitty's potential from the very begining.

From: Ninja Land | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The scene where Wolverine and Colossus do the fast-ball special almost made me cry. Whedon did it perfect, and didn't even have to mention ‘Fast Ball Special’, since we knew it was coming and were desperately waiting for it.

I honestly sat back for a minute and thought "damn...my X-Men are back."

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Arrgh. I haven't been tempted to pick up an X-Book lo these many years and they have to tempt me with a "Fastball Special." That just gives me the warm fuzzies all over.
From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Matt, wait until you see it. First, you get the surprise reappearance with Peter, the best Peter/Kitty scene in 20 Years, the X-Men versus the bad guy, and then [kinda spoilers] the bad guy is getting away with no real way to catch him, leaving Wolverine to say something like “well there is an old fashioned way”, while looking at Peter (who he’s just seen is back from the dead)…and then Bam! Next page is a double page spread scene of Colossus hurling Logan at him with a fastball special, no dialogue, cuz none is needed.

B/t that scene and the one with Kitty and Peter the previous issue, I remember why I love the X-Men in the first place.

matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
must. not. be. tempted.

bank. account. drained.

read old issues to soothe pangs.....

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Brainiac 5:
I checked, and I'm surprised no one's got a thread running about this book.

There was one - it just hasn't been busy in awhile. I bumped it back up to page one for ya...
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 8 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.