Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Copiel a Marvel Young Gun; Legion Not Worthy (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: Copiel a Marvel Young Gun; Legion Not Worthy
Bicycle Repair Man
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bicycle Repair Man   Email Bicycle Repair Man         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by capt._dallas:
If Quesada has been reading Copiel since "day one," does this mean that Quesada is in the habit of reading EVERY DC title? Why would he bother reading DC books that "no one was reading"?

So he can be familiar with the work of writers and artists who aren't currently working for him, so he can decide if he wants them working for him if the opportunity some day arises (not intended as a blanket defense of Quesada, but studying the competition's talent belongs in the job description of EIC of a "work-for-hire" corporate publisher (the merits of "work-for-hire" corporate publishers being a whole 'nother debate, of course [Wink] )).

--------------------
"Gee, Brainy, what do you want to do tonight?"
"The same thing we do every night, Bouncing Boy: try to take over the United Planets!!"
They're B.B. and The Brain ...

From: Monty Python's Flying Circus | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
I bet he has lackeys who read that kind of stuff for him.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
What I find strange, however, is the notion that hot artists need to be put on the most popular titles. Aren't artists suppposed to draw in readers? If Coipel's so damn good, why does he have to be put on the title that everyone's already reading in order for anyone to notice what he's doing?

I think it's more like taking a hot artist and pairing them with high-profile characters. I mean, if DC had slapped Jim Lee on "Booster Gold", it wouldn't have sold the same as when he was put on "Batman". As much of a marketing ploy that it is, it's becuase fans love seeing great artists work on characters they already like. Unfortunately for us, Legion is mostly seen as a niche, which is why the big names to work on this title are usually the ones who weren't big when they started.
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
Ironically, the book and story arc Marvel put Olivier on initially really didn't suit his talents. I thought the Legion did a much better job of showing off his abilities than the "Red Scare" (or whatever it was called) story arc of the Avengers.

In fact, I read more than a few criticisms of Olivier's art from folks who read Avengers, but had never seen his work on the Legion.

I only hope that his upcoming stuff on Uncanny really does give him the widespread appeal he deserves...

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Any time I hear the phrase "Young Guns" I kind of get a little skeptical. Back around 1989 the Braves were promoting a nearly brand new pitching rotation of promising young arms they called the "Young Guns." Then they spent another 2 years getting the crap beat out of them, and only Tom Glavine went on to much of a career as a starter. We'll see how Marvel's version fares.

I can't take anything out of Quesada's mouth seriously. He's bought into the Marvel vs. DC concept waaaay too seriously.

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I feel the same about Quesada's mouth. All his big suprises and amazing iniatives so far have left me high and dry...
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
[Dev Em]
{ Wait till Grey sees this ... [Wink] }

For what? To say that another arrogant Whoever's In Charge is back-dating his omniscience? We see that every day.

Coipel learned his craft with the Legion titles, and visibly improved during that time, and I don't begrudge him one particle of the attention and gigs he's received since then.

That he's one of the "hot young guns" of the industry is more than a stretch, though. That this was evident back when it looks like Joe Q wants to think he first noticed Coipel, well, that's preposterous. That the Legion titles don't sell "well," that's hardly disputed.

Bombast, truth, and puffery. Once again, what CEO or Guy In Charge doesn't put out such a combination, or have his flacks do it, every day? Quesada has abominable manners, but I've given up expecting any such decorum in our culture.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Greybird:
[Dev Em]
{ Wait till Grey sees this ... [Wink] }

For what? To say that another arrogant Whoever's In Charge is back-dating his omniscience? We see that every day.

Leave it to Grey to put it all in perspective and say it with style. [Smile]

I attended the Chicago Con but skipped this panel. I'm glad I did, for I might have walked out upon hearing that remark. But a knee-jerk reaction doesn't alter the facts that the Legion wasn't selling well during Coipel's tenure, or that Quesada's blustery amounts to little more than masturbatory CEO lingo.

Next time we see Quesada at a con, we ought to do a Wayne and Garth routine for him: "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!"

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Prime
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Prime           Edit/Delete Post     
Quesada's out the door in two years, mark my words. His inability to cash in on Marvel's movie prominence in its comics area is telling.

And if that's not enough, the shot of Cable on the cover of Liefeld's new X-Force #1 should be. "Let's do the time warp again!!!"

--------------------
White. A blank page or canvas. His favorite. So... many... possibilities.

From: Birmingham, AL | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just ran across this in "The Legion Companion" last night from Mike Grell's interview:

TLC: A lot of artists have risen to prominence drawing the Legion. Do you have any thoeries as to why it's such a great launching pad for careers?

MG: I've got two answers for you: one is flip and the other is serious. Let me give you the flip one first,. They give the Legion to the young artists starting out because we're so grateful to get the work that we'll take anything, and it takes us a while to get smart enough to realize we've just been given the hardest book in the business to draw. That's the flip answer. The serious answer is that I strongly believe that the reason that the Legion has been at least partially instrumental in launching so many careers is that in the world of comics, there are no fans as loyal and deovoted as Legion fans. If they take you into their hearts, they're going to keep reminding you of the work that you did. They never forget, they always come back and they follow you on. They become interested and involved with creative people who are working on the book and they follow your career from that point on as long as you don't disappoint them and let them down. They're great.

From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
That's very touching of Mike Grell, and also very true.

I'm a Copiel fan now, just like I'm a Giffen, Cockrum, Grell, etc. fan.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.