Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » May Comics Haul.... spoilers and speculations (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: May Comics Haul.... spoilers and speculations
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:

I'm pretty sure that Donna will return one day...

There is currently a rumor flying around that Phil Jiminez has plans to "right a wrong" over at DC. The smart money says he's planning to bring Donna back.
The good news: Donna's coming back.

The bad news: "Wonder Snake."

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
What, and miss the opportunity to bring her back in a crystalline body?

Now "Lilith Snake", on the other hand....

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
What got me was the "ghost" that surprises Nudge in JLA #97. Lookes like a Union Soldier. Then never seen again. What's up with that?
From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Sheesh-- I left out FLASH 210!

spoilers

And it was one of the best

of the bunch!

spoilers

I'm loving FLASH again. Every morsel dangled in front of us about the rogues in the FBI makes me that much more tantalized. Piper's one of my favorite supporting characters... and so is The Trickster (who needs to smackdown that callow kid usurping his name...). It'll be interesting to see how Wally fits into the 'Rogue War'. Do Piper, James and Heat Wave still consider themselves rogues? Their reasons for reforming are *very* different. I hope that gets explored.

Anyway, the issue's main event is the conversations between Dick Grayson and Wally West. I'm glad Nightwing will be around next issue, otherwise I'd already be demanding 'more, more'! Seriously, if there can be a SUPERMAN/BATMAN ongoing when those two characters are ambivalent about each other... there should be a FLASH/NIGHTWING series. I'd buy it.

Their 'reunion' is fun to read, here, with a well-done flashback in a dim, dank batcave that, unfortunely, sets the lighting tone for the rest of the issue. I find something more compelling about Dick and Wally as friends than I do the Dick and Roy friendship featured in OUTSIDERS. I enjoy both, though.

I think I like Girder as a newish Flash-villain. Double-down, not so much. What is it with playing cards as a source for superpowers? I don't really get it.

I thorougly enjoy flashbacks to the original Teen Titans. They were the best thing about the last Titans series... sometimes the only good thing. I resisted really buying into the new Titans series because it didn't feature a single original Titan. That bugs me. I get that the characters would naturally move on into more complicated lives. But, to me, the sum of the 'Fab Five' is greater than its parts.

Reluctantly, I can see that an ongoing team book featuring Dick, Wally, Roy, Garth and a resurrected Donna would have to contort these characters in a contrived way. I like Roy in Outsiders... he's growing leaps and bounds there. Dick, I think, should leave in a year or so. His heart's not in it. And the fun in his taking his mentor's place in 'Batman and the Outsiders' has been mined for as much as it's worth, IMO. Wally's graduated-- he's JLA... though he'll never totally leave behind his allegience to the Titans. Garth's just disappeared, unfortunately. And we know about Donna.

Still, there's gold in these characters getting together... for new adventures and for remembering their childhood. I think an annual get-together should be instituted. The Thanksgiving JLA/JSA team-up is a great addition to DC's tradition. I think this could be, as well. Maybe an annual Christmas party? New Year's Eve?

Which has taken me far afield from THE FLASH... and the surprising, but not if you think about it, cliffhanger...

TN

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I definitely agree with your comments about Flash's Rogues. They could easily support a mini.

Of the new "rogues," Murmer is just scary. No real superpower, just psycho. Double Down, yeah that's weird. Peeling cards off your skin is a bit over the top even for a comic.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Is 'Rogue Wars' going to be a mini-- or just happen in the pages of THE FLASH?

Murmur *is* scary... so much so that imagining that particular character cooperating on a supervillain team stretches just a tad.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Mystery Lad:
Murmur *is* scary... so much so that imagining that particular character cooperating on a supervillain team stretches just a tad.

Yeah true. He can be used though, like the rabid dog you sick on your enemies.

Look boy, tongue! Fetch! [LOL]

Rogue War happens within the pages I'm pretty sure.

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
re: Rose Wilson, she was a TITAN during the period Arsenal was leading the team after ZERO HOUR, not long before the series (NEW TITANS) was cancelled.

I'm surprised you don't like her more, Todd-- considering how much we love the second, third & fourth-tier heroines!

I remember when Arsenal led the team for a bit... and I vaguely remember Rose being introduced. But I don't remember her making an impression at that time, Lash. Maybe I didn't buy all of this run? I recall being disappointed at the general direction then.

I can't like *all* the 'lower' tier heroines! There's quite a few I'm not interested in... most of the 'catgirl' ones outside of Selina, The Cat/Tigra and Hellcat. I never cared much for She-Hulk until this past AVENGERS issue, of all things. Her little rampaging act to scare the kiddies was adorable...

I suppose we could post lists, but that'd take all day... maybe it should be another thread.

TN

[ May 30, 2004, 03:35 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Avengers: another Ick! I loathe Austen's Avengers, and I hate the way he's writing Hank and Jan. It just is so out of characters...ick.

I've read a couple of Bendis interviews about AVENGERS DISSAMBLED and what'll come after and now I'm *really* worried about Hank. I have a feeling he's gonna go psycho, causing the breakup of the current team.

I absolutely loathe this idea... all based on one slap! When he was having a nervous breakdown (or something...). One slap is a long way away from spousal abuse, IMO. It worked for the ULTIMATES, but it's so much ca-ca in the 'regular' AVENGERS.

I hope I'm wrong.

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Outdoor Miner:
Tarantula, Tarantula, Tarantula...

She's around for the next story arc at least. I have no doubt they'll try to spin her off into her own mini or ongoing.

You think? I wouldn't mind seeing her turn up in JSA for an arc or two... just because of the Jonathan Law connection.

But would they consider her a legacy or an opponent?

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
Todd, I totally agree about the Huntress. I think she's so much better when not in the Bat-books, where she becomes just another bat-character sometimes. However, there are times when she's with just Batman that I like her too. Personally, I can't see why Bats isn't head over heels for her [Wink] .

Ick... that'd be sort of incestuous. I know, I know... she's not the Earth II Huntress. But still...

Call me stuck in the eighties, but the only Bat romance I'll ever believe will be between him and Catwoman. Those issues immediately before Crisis (and right after, I think... wasn't Catwoman 'revillainized' by Dr. Moon postcrisis? Meaning it's the same character starring in her own book now? I'm not entirely sure...) when Bats and Catty double-dated with Green Arrow and Black Canary are sentimental favorites.

Does *every* comic couple have to be placed in doom and gloom? There'd never be a 2nd (or would that be 3rd?) generation of heroes...

I guess Gag and Magag are inevitable...

TN

Mystery Lad
Advisor

quote:
Originally posted by UTS:
The good news: Donna's coming back.

The bad news: "Wonder Snake."

Eek! Gods of Olympus, no!

But it'd be sort of fitting, in that snakes often symbolized death to some Greek cultures...

But if she does come back as Wonder Snake, and eventually undergoes the same transformation that Sensor did, at least give her some nipples!

Donna 'Hydra' Troy?

TN

icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll take Donna back anyway I can get her!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

I'm tempted to agree, frostfyre. But then I see suggestions like 'Wonder Snake' (made in jest, I *think* [Smile] ) and I hesitate.

I think they should set up Donna's return like this:

1. She's been transported back to the ancient battle of Troy, where she's a member of an Amazon army fighting for Troy. She encounters Achilles, Patroclus, Hector, Odysseus, Helen and several gods and goddesses. She becomes a particular friend of Odysseus and Athena.

She's there as the war concludes, where her purpose is revealed; she's entrusted with making sure Aenas and the other 'colonists' make it to Rome and get started building their new city-state.

2. She's transported back to her own world and time through a magic mirror used by a Roman magician. She steps through-- primarily as the Donna we remember in personality and power, but a bit Romanized.

She's now to Rome what Wonder Woman is to Greece, though her Amazons have disappeared from history. She's a revenant of the long-missing contingent of Roman Amazons.

Her search for the missing sisters becomes her primary focus as a heroine. Along the way, she reconnects with her old friends in the Titan, Outsiders and JLA.

Whaddya think?

Todd

[ May 31, 2004, 01:17 PM: Message edited by: Mystery Lad ]

icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I like it!

My idea was to have Donna lead an "Exiles" like team jumping through Hypertime my line-up would include:

Donna Troy
Polar Boy
Superboy (from Earth Prime)
Flash (from Tangent comics)
Dawnstar
Grifter (from Wildcats)
Green Lantern(a very young Hal Jordan)
and Ambush Bug!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.