Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » February 2004 Comics Order (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   
Author Topic: February 2004 Comics Order
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Lightning Lad:
I wouldn't pick it up just because of the previews I saw. This is a case of where the art made me look away, no matter how well it may have been written.

I thought it was okay, but not spectacular. But, sheesh, Plas is SO hard to do well. Cole's shadow looms large.

In fact, I had heard his Plas spoken of with such reverence for so many years, that even the Plastic Man Archives seems a dissappointment when compared to the hype.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Portfolio Boy:
I used to get my comics through mail. I find that my 15% discount comes to about the same as 35% off but add shipping. But this way I get to support my local dealer (and with only a half dozen or so shops in my entire State, I feel honorbound to do my part in helping to keep the industry alive) and get my comics weekly instead of monthly. With big monthly packages I found that many comics were going unread.

I keep thinking about going to a mail order like DCBS but I keep coming back to the same thought. All but two shops in SLC have gone under in the last couple of years. I really don't want to take my business away from them. Even with the shipping added, with my monthly totals (around $120+ every month) would still come down by about 10% if I ordered through the mail. But I figured that 10% was justified if it helped Hastur's (my shop) stay in business.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
I stuck by my local CBS for years after I first entertained the idea of mail-ordering my books; They just did everything they could to drive me away. No discount, even though I'd been a regular $80/month since high school (12+ years), frequently missed items on my dedicated pull list, stingy with special requests, amateurish grading and overpricing on back-issue stock.

That initially drove me to Lone Star, where I got 15% off and an additional 20% back issues, and they have this neat piggy-back feature where you can have store orders added to your monthly subscription shipment for no extra money.

When their back-issue pricing got in line with Mile High's, thus negating said benefits, I switched to DCBS for the bigger discount on my new books. I still stop in at the old CBS to browse and chat, catch items I may have missed on preorders, but I haven't regretted the switch to mail-order. If you've got a good store, then by all means, support it. Whole-heartedly. But I wasn't going to continue supporting ineptitude, no matter how much I like the people there.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I can't blame you for that Pov. And my store does miss out on a lot of special one-ofs and stuff but they keep the majority of my orders totally correct and usually remember me on some specials that I forgot to order. Like the last Ross/Dini JLA oversize. They put aside a copy for me when I hadn't ordered it.

If I could get more on the ball and work through Previews each month, I'm sure I'd get everything I wanted more often. But I could wind up ordering one of each out of that book sometimes.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.