Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Zodiac's Reign has Ended -- UPDATE! (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   
Author Topic: Zodiac's Reign has Ended -- UPDATE!
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Has anyone else noticed that the cover was by Tony Harris?

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
!!
Nope, didn't notice, for shame. Thanks, Arachne - wonder if he's doing all the covers.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah, we talked about that over at the TnT board before Legion World launched. This was one great cover.

Here's the cover to # 2:

-

# 3:

-

and # 4, all by Tony:

-

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I think the first one was the best of the bunch so far but these look great too.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I think he used the same model for #3 as he did for the Dreamer cover.

[ September 05, 2003, 08:23 PM: Message edited by: Blockade Boy ]

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Pretty, pretty. [Smile]

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I somehow missed issue #1 when it came out, but picked up issue #2 a few weeks ago... and, fortunately, my store had a couple of issues of #1 stocked away.

I thought the first issue started off poorly -- the endless exposition, intercut with interruptions and asides, really detracted from the story and beautiful art. Even knowing that I'd already bought the second issue and wanted to read both, it was still something of an effort to make myself get through all those similarly-colored text boxes.

I thought the second issue was MUCH better, though -- as the story kicks off in earnest. I'm definitely interested to see what happens to the fleeing lovers, so it looks as though RotZ will end up on my pull list. The terrific covers and inside art don't hurt...

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

And the guy on the cover for #3 is the spitting image of Bruce Wayne from Harris's recent run on Batman: Legends of the Dark Knight!
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I love this book!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
I enjoyed # 2 enough to come back for # 3 but the book hasn't made it to my pull-list... yet.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
I enjoyed # 2 enough to come back for # 3 but the book hasn't made it to my pull-list... yet.

It will Lash it will!!!!

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Colleen Doran wrote (at her website) that Issue #2 was originally the first book and by the time she was working on #3, DC decided to add an introductory issue to give some background history. I think a lot of people found this first issue of just dialogue a bit flat or confusing.

Supposedly things really get cooking with #3, but they always say that! I still don't have the second book, hope to get it this week.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Fat Cramer:
I think a lot of people found this first issue of just dialogue a bit flat or confusing.

I know I did. Flat, anyway.

I think DC erred on that first issue. There are readers out there who only give a book one issue to grab them, and ROTZ #1 wasn't a grabber.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Having finally read #2 (what a laggard I am!), it might have been more confusing without the set-up in the first issue; maybe not - the marriage as political alliance is a pretty standard story, not hard to figure out - but #1 has probably set up the whole series, or the first year of stories.

The thing that got me, however, was that I was much more interested in and drawn to the chubby, affable brother and the two amazonian sisters than to the "main" characters. I suspect Na'ia (?) will be developed more and the scion left at the altar is perhaps meant to be an unsympathetic creature.

I'm not even sure of their names, after reading the issues and flipping through them just now. That doesn't strike me as very good for story-telling, unless these are expendable characters (was the scion killed or just unconscious at the end?) . Maybe it's all the apostrophes, which is becoming a tiresome trend in comic book names.

The artwork is a delight; the clothing alone serves to distinguish the different houses, in addition to their behaviour and speech.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

Stu
Time Trapper

Re: issue #3...

Gory! [Eek!]

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.