Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Wonder Woman (Page 14)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  21  22  23   
Author Topic: Wonder Woman
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
And teh throwdown with Genocide is messy. there's a lot of fisticuffs, even more property damage, an unsettling reveal of Diana's emotions, and even more fisticuffs.

We spend the issue in Diana's head. Her love for Nemesis isn't as romantical as we thought. And that's the most disappointing thing, seeing Diana be less than truthful.

Her resolve in battle is fitting for a warrior woman, and I think that's what sets her apart from most of the League. Taking back her lasso- man I was excited to see that.

And since this is a visual medium- Lopresti draws a beautiful book. His women are shapely and pretty without being babe-alicious.

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree about Lopresti's work-- it's a treat to look at it.

This was an exciting battle scene, though I'm glad to see the last(?) of Genocide.

The bit about Nemesis and the fact that she doesn't love him was a turn I didn't expect. Should drive the characters for awhile.

I liked that Achilles' instinct was to go and help Diana-- he *isn't* going to be an out and out villain. Zeus has obviously slipped a wheel or two.

Is Euphemus part of Achilles' group? Working for Ares? Or a separate Argonaut that's not involved in Zeus' plot?

Ares wants to marry Genocide? Ugh. Or does he mean that *Diana* is his 'future queen'?

Past time for the Olympians to take center stage in a storyline that is, after all, titled RISE OF THE OLYMPIAN.

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Lopresti's come a long way since Takion, that's for sure. Through no fault of his own, being associated with THAT clunker almost did him in. Glad to see he persevered and developed artistically into the treat we're seeing here.

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Takion... [LOL]

I collected that title. At least it was a cool looking character.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mystery Lad   Email Mystery Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
#35- continues a fun team-up with Black Canary. If there can be multiple Batman/Superman books, why not one featuring two of the oldest female heroes in comicbooks?

I'd buy...

So that's who WW's patron-in-lieu-of-Zeus was... the father of Pele!

Made for a good uncloaking scene- though why Pele was at that club is rather murky. Best not to think about it too closely.

A romantic cliffhanger-- how do you want it to end?

From: Knoxville, TN | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
She was there looking for Diana, wasn't she?

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mystery Lad
Advisor

Though I enjoyed what I read, I'm not sure that WW's team-up with Click Here For A Spoiler Giganta is such a good idea.

For that matter, their little tete a tete over scones or whatever it was seems... I don't know... out of character? Or is it? Perhaps Diana is the one hero that would have such an episode.

Still, I found myself puzzling over that much more than I did over her confrontation with Achilles, a relationship in which I'm much more invested. I find this 'male Amazon' tribe pretty interesting, even if it does seem to prove Zeus' insane instability (you only have to read a few myths to know that this isn't out of character for him at all.)

Is it the gender of the failed recipient of Diana's offer of alliance that is the main characteristic attributing to that failure? Or is it his 'out of time', unevolved state?

Add this to Pele's continued goading of Diana, and it becomes obvious that faith is going to be a major theme of the next few months and more, perhaps.

An apt choice, for Wonder Woman.

Mystery Lad
Advisor

#38-- Wow, I enjoyed this issue! Alkyone is a deranged witch, arranging a hideous ceremony that's all a trick to unveil what she thinks is Diana's father! I don't for a minute believe that she's correct, except in the most figurative- in a couple of senses- way.

Donna has a couple of strong scenes, and a new Amazonian look that I hope doesnt' make it into the pages of TITANS or JLA.

Tolifher (eek! I've forgotten how to spell his name!) and co. appear briefly, and have me worried. I want them around as supporting cast forever...

Achilles puzzles... will he ultimately be friend or foe or something forever in between? Will a Wonder Man really be joining the Wonder family?

It's somewhat frustrating to to have read on message boards that both he and Alkyone are gay characters, without actually seeing that in print. It's hinted at, surely. Strongly, even, but not spelled out.

Also, the Blackest Night stuff makes everything happening in this title seem a bit unimportant. That's not right- as I read the issues, I think *this* is the important stuff. But DC would seem to have a different mindset.

rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
ML, make sure to stay away from the WW boards over at DC. If you like it, you must not be a "true fan" there. I think I'm gonna abandon them before to long. You might get one or two people from the other side to talk to you reasonably, but the rest go nuts.

Anyway, I'm liking it as well. I also thought the Cottus as Diana's "father" was nutso wish fulfillment on Alky's part.

I must be about the only one that likes the skirt look on Donna. I have to say that after 40+ years of ugly unitards, this was a nice change of pace. Besides, I like women in skirts. [Wink]

Ummm, Achilles is gay, as per Gail. She's stated it straight up (pardon the unintentional pun).

so far, I think its been pretty good. Got me to read Diana on a regular basis, and that hasn't happened since marinan finished up the Perez reboot. It has a couple of problem spots in the pacing and jumping around at times, but I think Gail does that to get you to pay attention to the book. Its certainly not spoonfed.

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I liked this issue, although I was a little lost. I've got to figure out where I put all the issues I haven't read yet.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Jerry
active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Jerry   Email Jerry         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't get all the fuss on the DC Boards, either. Not the best Wonder Woman story ever, but hardly deserving of such harsh criticism. I'm with you, Rick, on Donna's skirt. I really liked the look.

--------------------
No regrets, Coyote.

From: Missouri | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

We are a cult of two, then it seems.

I actually thought it looked good and from a battle standpoint, probably more practical than the unitard. I don't care how strong she is, those things have to be restricting. The skirt provides ample coverage and allows for easier movement.

Plus, she's got great gams.

--------------------

Something pithy!

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
*searches the internets for a picture of this costume*

Click for fullsize image

UH...... I don't think so. If it had a gladiatrix skirt - like her short-lived Wonder Woman costume - rather than that fabric thing (which I'm fairly sure she couldn't run in - the weight of it would make it more restricting than a unitard), lost the blue completely and toned down some of the fussier asymmetry (and note - she's not left-handed last time I checked. Why has she got the SHIELD on her right arm and the SWORD set to draw with her left?) it could maybe work.

I just said "if it was completely different, it could work", didn't I? Okay, I definitely don't like it.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Sorry, George Perez is a great artist, but can't design costume's for anything. Case in point Dick Grayson's original nightwing. Both Donna's and Dick's costumes were terrible, and much fussier than this pic.

The other pic, the Donna as WW looked infinitely less practical to me. Her own skirt looked like it was going to stab her in the legs with what looked like chicken feathers.

The skirt looks like it would cover much more than either the perez or the ww outfit.

And honestly, while I've never really liked the unitard look, none of it matters concerning weight. She's super strong. I was thinking more along the lines of "Hey, I'm superstrong and wearing a unitard...hope it doesn't bust in an awkward place!" type of thing.

But, all that said, if you didn't like it, you didn't like it, lol. I just really like women in skirts. Legs are nice.

[Wink]

--------------------

Something pithy!

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
Note that the Pérez pic was linked on "Uh". I was attempting to suggest that this reminded me of a costume I already didn't like.

And here's the thing - skirts of any length are horrendously impractical for running in, let alone fighting. Donna's WW gladatrix skirt was mostly a cosmetic adornment to what's functionally a leotard, like Namora's current costume over at Marvel - she could move freely, whereas she'd have to do a Moulin Rouge to get anywhere on foot in THAT skirt (When I say "weight" in terms of skirt, I just mean it falls down naturally rather than getting caught by a breeze. IOW, she'd get tangled up in it).

My favourite Donna costume, incidentally, is this one. Yep it's a unitard, and the version that goes up to her neck rather than the cleavagetastic version of recent times at that, but it's simple and classy.

And you're talking about the "burst in an awkward place" thing, presumably when she tries a high kick or something like that... but she'd be virtually guaranteed to flash everyone if she tried something along those lines in a skirt!

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 23 pages: 1  2  3  ...  11  12  13  14  15  16  17  ...  21  22  23   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.