Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » MadroX and X-Factor Investigations (Page 11)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  27  28  29   
Author Topic: MadroX and X-Factor Investigations
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
that's exactly what I enjoy about the characters, their lack of easy likability.

Stealth, are you reading DC's current MANHUNTER series? That's one of the hardest points of trying to sell new readers on the book; The lead, Kate, is very hard to like upfront. It's not until you get inside the character that she's... well... not likeable, exactly... maybe not *as* unlikeable. [Wink]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
Yeah not digging this at all. PAD (like Waid) is a big hit or a miss with me.

I'm a fan of all the characters (save Madrox). PAD just sometimes is too corky/left field for me. ohwell.

From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Oh! I forgot the reason I came to this thread earlier... [Embarrassed]

PAD's going to be dealing with the mystery surrounding Layla sooner rather than later-- in issue 6.

It's *gotta* be better than Jim Valentino's explanation for Starhawk's "One Who Knows" schtick in the 90's Guardians series. [Roll Eyes]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Arachne
Bookworm

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Arachne   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'm enjoying the title. Maybe it's because I'm not strongly attached to any of the characters, but I like them all. Except Layla; I'm glad to hear she won't be a mystery for long.

--------------------
arachne3003.deviantart.com
Current Obsession: Birds of Prey/Secret Six

From: Canada | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
quote:
Originally posted by Stealth:
that's exactly what I enjoy about the characters, their lack of easy likability.

Stealth, are you reading DC's current MANHUNTER series? That's one of the hardest points of trying to sell new readers on the book; The lead, Kate, is very hard to like upfront. It's not until you get inside the character that she's... well... not likeable, exactly... maybe not *as* unlikeable. [Wink]
Thanks for the recommendation, Pov. I'll browse through Manhunter the next time I'm at the comic shop.

--------------------
"I know it's gonna happen someday."

Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Cool, I hope you like it. The first 6 issues are collected in a trade.

--------------------

Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fanfic Lady   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I finally bought the Madrox: Multiple Choice TPB, and read the whole thing just before bed last night.

I liked it, but not as much as X-Factor. I don't know...I figured out early on who the real villain was, and it just didn't quite do for me what X-Factor does.

On the other hand, I thought Guido was better-written here than the way he's been written in X-Factor. And Pablo Raimondi's art was outstanding.

--------------------

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Pov:
Oh! I forgot the reason I came to this thread earlier... [Embarrassed]

PAD's going to be dealing with the mystery surrounding Layla sooner rather than later-- in issue 6.

It's *gotta* be better than Jim Valentino's explanation for Starhawk's "One Who Knows" schtick in the 90's Guardians series. [Roll Eyes]

Peter David stole my idea. OK so there is no way he knew it was my idea, but he stole it anyway.

Layla's power is Click Here For A Spoilerthe power to extrapolate. My idea was a one-shot issue of a hero named the Extrapolator. In the issue the Extrapolator is sitting in his home. He suddenly bolts up saying "The Earth is in danger" He starts rushing across town, dodging criminals, government agents, and assassins, who were watching his house. He goes to a nondescript apartment, rushes up to the third floor, bursts into an apartment, and move a flower pot from the right side of the window to the left. He then thinks "The Earth is now safe!" The End

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

And yet another fine issue of X-Factor. IMO, Peter David has pulled off a couple of things that a lot of current comics writers (and a lot of current TV writers) have been attempting but failing:

1. He's giving decompression a good name; it only occured to me the other day that not a lot has actually happened in these six issues, but I'm still satisfied and looking forward to what's ahead.

2. The answers to the questions of Layla's origin may be all (or almost all) untrue, and yet it doesn't bother me at all. Nice use, too, of Rictor as the skeptic; PAD is adding a lot of depth to this former hothead.

--------------------

armsfalloffboy
huh?

Icon 1 posted      Profile for armsfalloffboy   Email armsfalloffboy         Edit/Delete Post     
I've dropped every X-title BUT this one...mostly because of PAD. LOVE the letters pages...and I find most of the characterization consistent with what I know about the characters--not necessarily jibing with continuity. I like David's comments on that subject, especially when we're dealing with the multitude of crappy minis, one shots, cancelled series, crossovers, etc. that have plagued the X-titles for the last decade (Stealth, you said you unplugged from the muties for ten years...I assure you that you missed next to nothing. I've been going back through the hundreds of issues that probably cost me thousands of dollars, and dumping those that I don't care about...for example, I kept three copies of Wolverine out of over sixty that I had gone through). Chuck it all. Talk about a universe that could USE a crisis...

--------------------
The only consistent feature of all of your dissatisfying relationships is you.

Don't judge me!

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fanfic Lady
Now my heart is full

quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:

Talk about a universe that could USE a crisis...

[ROTFLMAO] That's so true.

--------------------

Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by armsfalloffboy:
Talk about a universe that could USE a crisis...

Tell me WTH Wonder Woman's chronology is meant to look like now, with the Pérez run apparently out-of-continuity (since it dealt heavily with her coming to "Man's World" for the first time, inc. learning English - AND was heavily tied into the continuity of the day), Hippolyta's time as WW apparently out too, her "founding the JLofA" back in, etc; then get back to me on that.

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CJ Taylor
Schako Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CJ Taylor   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Reboot, I've got a wait and see approach to WW. There's certainly a number of plausible approaches to her revised continuity.

As for X-Factor, this is a title unlike anything else Marvel is doing. It's mix of likeable and disdainable characters. I'm with Rictor, Layla is still suspect. Did I miss something about her switching mutations, or was the bit about horns a crack?

From: Denver, CO | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by CJ Taylor:
Reboot, I've got a wait and see approach to WW. There's certainly a number of plausible approaches to her revised continuity.

But they all involve whopping great retcons. As things stand, they'd basically need to retell all the altered stories - which they're patently not going to do.

Rather than fanwanking her back into the original JLofA and damn the rest (which seems to have been DC's general approach for the past three+ years), how about moving FORWARD?

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
I have a question, seriously...

Why do good characters have to be "likeable". I love the show "house". Hugh Laurie is a first class @$$, and the show is tremendously fun to watch.

I liked James Spader's character Alan Shore. He was a tremendously unlikeable character that was pure fun to watch. Now they have watered the character down to the point that he has almost disappeared from his own show.

Lets face it, if everyone was likeable, there wouldn't be any conflict or...fun.

As to the new book, i liked the new issue. Art was a little muddy for my taste, as well as coloring, but it is supposed to be noir, so thats okay.

Still,, the best power for a PI is the one that John Taylor has in the Nightside series by Simon Green. He makes the Deux Ex Machina work so well with it. Layla reminded me of that a bit.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 29 pages: 1  2  3  ...  8  9  10  11  12  13  14  ...  27  28  29   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.