Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews! (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20   
Author Topic: EDE's Quick Showcase Reviews!
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, I might as well face it, I'm addicted to DC's Showcase Presents Volumes!

They've released some groovalicious collections so far! Here's my rundown of what I've read thus far:

GREEN LANTERN: I started reviewing these in another thread, but overall I thought they were really good. It's nice to see the introduction of many concepts that would later become fundamental to the DCU, such as the Anti-Matter Universe/Qward/the Guardians/etc. There's a definite sense of a legend being built here.

JUSTICE LEAGUE: This was interesting. I liked seeing these early stories, but they left me kind of flat in a way. Again, it's nice to see the origins of various long-term DCU concepts, but the stories themselves seemed kind of boring. And the various heroes really don't seem better together than they do individually. Maybe they'd be better a second time through?

GREEN ARROW: This one was a struggle to get through. Almost all the stories are short back-up tales, and very gimmicky. I don't know. Somehow I just couldn't muster enough suspension of disbelief to get these to work for me.

HOUSE OF MYSTERY: Incredible! Easily the best volume I've read thus far! I absolutely love these stories! Some are certainly better than others, but there are some real gems.

SUPERMAN: When I first read these stories in the Man of Tomorrow Archives, I was a little let down. They're much better the second time through, though, and the second half are even better, as Superman fights clasic villains such as Luthor and Bizarro. The first Brainiac story still stands out as one of the best Superman stories I've ever read. I'm still not quite finished, but my overall impression is extremely positive.

METAMORPHO: Haven't read anything but the first story yet, but it looks promising.

JONAH HEX: Still haven't picked this one up yet, though I'm looking forward to it.

SUPERMAN FAMILY: Coming out this week, and I'm definitely looking forward to it! There better be lots of Jimmy Olsen in drag!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk, which issues are in the House of Mystery one? I've never read much of HoM, or House of Secrets for that matter (with Mark Merlin).

I demand this review thread be continuall updated! [Big Grin]

The GL ones are some of the best DC had to offer in the Silver Age, and I really want to one day get around to reading all the Superman Silver Age stories.

I think the later JLA stories are much better, especially once the Atom & Hawkman join and the stories are more fluid. Their also more action packed which helps them move.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The House of Mystery is #174 through #196, which (I discover after a little research) is apparently when they returned to horror/suspense/mystery tales after briefly becoming a super-hero magazine in the mid-sixties.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm. I was debatng the HoM one; you just sold me on it.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Definitely go for the HoM! I think you'll like it!

I'm currently reading the Metamorpho volume. For some reason, I keep thinking it would make a really good cartoon. Fairly simplisitic characters, everything dramatically overplayed, but lots of fun.

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I feel the same way about the JLA stories. I have the first 3 volumes of archives. They're a bit blah.

I think it's the rigid format of the stories with heroes breaking off into pairs to face the threat. Sometimes teams chosen for no better reason than "Hey Wonder Woman, I haven't worked with you in a while."

I know they were trying to recapture the format of the JSA in All-Star but the golden age books had two or three times as many pages to tell the individual tales.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Part of it is that they all tend come off as very generic super-heroes, and you don't really get the feel of what makes them unique. Contrast that to the first GL/Flash teamup in the GL Showcase, where you really get much more feel for Hal and Barry as individuals. After reading that story, I feel like I've got a feel for how Barry was portrayed in that era, even though I've never read the early Flash stories. I don't get that feeling for who Barry is after reading an entire volume of JLA stories.

I think you actually get far more characterization in the early Legion stories, even though the Legionnaires hadn't been well-defined as characters at all.

[ March 10, 2006, 02:19 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Very true, Adventure was silver agey, but I don't think Saturn Girl has been quite right since then.

I can't believe how much I love those Adventure Comics over 40 years old by the time I read them for the first time. I'm smacking myself at this moment b/c those were three archives volumes I should have bought at that going outta business sale back in 2000.

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Metamorpho is chock-full a goofy late 60s camp! He actually fights a villain called "Achille le Heele" in "Gay Paree"!

[ March 11, 2006, 03:22 PM: Message edited by: Eryk Davis Ester ]

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
The METAMORPHO volume definitely gets more fun as it progresses!

Wait 'til you see BAT-HULK!

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I'm really starting to feel sorry for poor Java. I mean, there's plenty of caveman digging girls in the sixties that would go for him, and yet he's got his heart set on someone he can't have!
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
Jimmy Olsen out this week - if you're brave enough to tackle that one.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Oh, I am *totally* excited about Jimmy Olsen! So much so that I think my Metamorpho reading may just get postponed once I pick this up!

I still need to get Jonah Hex, and then it's Teen Titans next month!

Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
You gotta read Hex Eryk. It is the best one of the series. Of course, I still haven't gotten to HoM yet. Its sitting on my desk at work.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
DC just announced an Elongated Man Showcase in their newest solicits. [Smile]

--------------------
"Anytime a good book like this is cancelled, I hope another Teen Titan is murdered." --Cobalt

"Anytime an awesome book like S6 is cancelled, I hope EVERY Titan is murdered." --Me

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 20 pages: 1  2  3  4  ...  18  19  20   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.