Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Batgirl (Barbara Gordon) (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Batgirl (Barbara Gordon)
Caliente
Honoring the Primary Color Gang

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Caliente   Email Caliente         Edit/Delete Post     
So, for those who've been keeping up with BoP, you're aware of what's befallen Babs as of late. And the question is what's going to come next?

The answer may or may not have been found in All the Rage today...

P
O
S
S
I
B
L
E

S
P
O
I
L
E
R
S

quote:
It is also rumored that Simone will be writing a new Batgirl title post Infinite Crisis, with
Barbara Gordon back in the cape and cowl. Supposedly, this would be one of those initially unexplained stories from the “one year gap”, with Babs making a full recovery and returning to her earlier costumed persona. The current Batgirl, Cassandra Cain’s whereabouts may also factor into this…

Now, I don't know about any of you but... I AM NOT OKAY WITH THIS!!!!! For one thing, that's, like, ten steps back for Babs. She's so much more useful as Oracle with her good memory 'n' junk. Then there's the Cassandra question. I absolutely adore Cassandra and I [Love] her series too. It's awesome.

If this is true (it got 5/10th odds at AtR), then I am definitely going to flip a bastich. Seriously. That would not be okay on so many levels. Like... all of them. ><

[ June 11, 2011, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Reboot ]

--------------------
Abin: You know what to do with a Cali sandwich? No but neither do Cobie and CJ!
CJ: Yeah, we do. She's smiling, isn't she?

Context... who needs it?

From: Sunny Cali-- er, Planet Earth? | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Yes I would dislike this immensely. I'm okay with Babs walkin around being a secret agent type but not this.
From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stargazer
One Monkeys Opinion...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stargazer           Edit/Delete Post     
I have to agree with you fine folks. I dont think Barbara should be Batgirl again..move on..besides Batwoman is more PC ( laughter)

I like Cass to and hope she sticks around.

--------------------
Looking for Earth Prime.

From: Conroe Texas | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bevis
Feeling nostalgic

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bevis   Email Bevis         Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm, I'm with the not camp on this one. Babs is a much better and more useful and interesting character as Oracle than as just another Bat-flunky. Should she walk again? Maybe, if the story is done well. I can see Gail making it work fine but in a way I would like to have her remain one of the only disabled heroes in comics. The dynamics of the way that the BoP team works seems much more sutied to Babs being the 'controller' (of sorts) with agents doing the leg work. It makes the title a very different one from other team books, it lends itself more to the espionage stories than any other title and it just helps it stand out from others. Having Babs back as Batgirl just seems like a big step back to me.

That being said if anyone can make it work I would think it would be Gail. She's not put a foot wrong with BoP so far and has made Babs, Dinah and Helena into some of the strongest characters in the DCU at the moment. All three have always been favourite characters of mine so I'm happy with how they are now. That doesn't mean that things shouldn't change but this does strike me rather as taking things back rather than forward.

--------------------
Truth and Justice shall Prevail!
(Unless Tamper Lad Screws it up...)

From: Manchester, UK | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KidMarvel (Bunny)
Substitute

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KidMarvel (Bunny)   Email KidMarvel (Bunny)         Edit/Delete Post     
If she's in her Thrillkiller uniform then make it so I say.

--------------------
And therein lies the game my hard nippled friend

From: Newcastle Australia | Registered: May 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tempest
Enchantress

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tempest   Author's Homepage   Email Tempest         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't read comics like I should, but I kind of miss Babs in uniform, it's like it should be hers and no one elses, it's like having someone taking the place of Bruce Wayne as Batman even though he could still do it.

Cassandra Cain could easily take on another name.

--------------------
And to show I bear no ill will, I, too, shall bestow a gift...

From: The Mansion | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Reboot
Common sense is neither common, nor sense.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Reboot   Author's Homepage   Email Reboot         Edit/Delete Post     
*sigh*

Great. Another step back for DC...

--------------------
My views are my own and do not reflect those of everyone else... and I wouldn't have it any other way.

Cobalt, Reboot & iB present 21st Century Legion: Earth War.

From: The Mainframe | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Ultra Jorge
Himself alone

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Ultra Jorge   Email Ultra Jorge         Edit/Delete Post     
This feeds my fears that Identity Crisis is an attempt to return to things pre Crisis. I understand some things make sense. But I hate Hal Jordan. I don't like Barry Allen. And while Babs returning as Batgirl sounds cool I think she' smuch cooler as Oracle personally.
From: Tampa | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
icefire
Just like old Times!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for icefire   Email icefire         Edit/Delete Post     
I would be okay with this for a storyline or so but then I would want things back to normal. She can walk again but I don't want to see her as Batgirl.

--------------------
Let the Fun Begin!

From: tennessee | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Mattropolis

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Mattropolis   Author's Homepage   Email Mattropolis         Edit/Delete Post     
I am of the opposite side on this on.

I want her back as Batwoman, not Batgirl.

I don't like Cassandra in the role of Batgirl, never have. But if Babs is Batwoman, then Cassie can continue on as BG.

--------------------
Touch the magic...

From: Morganfield, KY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SouthtownKid
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for SouthtownKid   Email SouthtownKid         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:
This feeds my fears that Identity Crisis is an attempt to return to things pre Crisis. I understand some things make sense. But I hate Hal Jordan. I don't like Barry Allen. And while Babs returning as Batgirl sounds cool I think she' smuch cooler as Oracle personally.

I love Barry Allen. But he had a great story, and his story had a great ending. I do NOT want him to come back. Not because I don't like him, but because it will cheapen him. And if Barbara becomes Batgirl/woman, it will severely cheapen her as well, imo.

I was a HUGE fan of the Babs Batgirl, from the time of my birth until the '80s, and I was extremely upset when she got shot... but eventually I had to admit... she's a much richer character now. Not to mention that there is an extreme dearth of disabled characters in comics that are well-rounded. Only perfect people can be important or heroes? Bad message, imo.

I've also come to enjoy the Cassandra Batgirl a lot, so I don't want to see her go.

quote:
Originally posted by Mattropolis:
I don't like Cassandra in the role of Batgirl, never have.

A perfectly reasonable opinion, but out of curiosity, what don't you like about her? Just in general?
Registered: Jul 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
"Batwoman is more PC ( laughter)"

As a fan of the Adam West show, it's long crossed my mind that we might never have had a Barbara Gordon at all, had the producers simply cast Lee Meriwether as KATHY KANE in the episode she appeared in as an heiress kidnapped by King Tut. We might have had Batwoman all this time instead! (Meriwether was Miss America the SAME YEAR Batwoman was introduced in the comics, and Kathy Kane bears a striking resemblance to her... coincidence, or not???)

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
235 - Andy S
Check out the VOTE-A-MATIC now!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for 235 - Andy S   Author's Homepage   Email 235 - Andy S         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Jorg-EM:

Sigh. I swear this man takes the words right out of my mouth...
I'm with u, Jorge.

I like Cassandra a lot. I like John Stewart. I dig Conner Hawke and Roy Harper. Wally has definitely become the Flash for me (and a readable one at that - i never picked up the Flash when Barry was the headliner). I was even pleasantly surprised at how much I'm enjoying Warren Ellis's use of Kyle in JLA Classified right now.
So why bother with the RESTART button at DCU? I wouldn't mind Infinite Earths; I do mind obscuring the newer characters with the older ones (who were not doing so well until they had top-name creators attached to them - they did all get cancelled at some point). Why not invest in the new characters too?

OF COURSE, the fact that there's a possible BATGIRL cartoon in development (starring Babs) may have something to do with this. And of course, they could always make Cassandra another kind of Bat, or I guess she could follow her mother for awhile at the League of Assassins.

From: Lauderhill, FL | Registered: Aug 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Barbara Gordon needs to stay paralyzed and as Oracle.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I hope it's just a rumour, too. We've got no shortage of people in tights but Oracle is fairly unique.

In addition to walking (unless she gets some sort of exoskeleton which enables her to use her legs), she'd have to get contact lenses, too.

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.