Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Jim Aparo Passes Away (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Jim Aparo Passes Away
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
From Newsarama .

Mr. Aparo was THE Bat-artist for me. Bar none. And 72 is too young.

[ July 19, 2005, 10:45 AM: Message edited by: Pov ]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
profh0011
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for profh0011   Author's Homepage   Email profh0011         Edit/Delete Post     
And, THE PHANTOM (something he shares in common with Don Newton).

See a lot of his covers here...

http://www.milehighcomics.com/cgi-bin/backissue.cgi?action=list&title=61013758630&snumber=1

Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Sad day. I love his art.
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
R.I.P. Jim.

I should pull out some of those old Brave and Bolds....

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Tamper Lad
With the Scarlett Faction

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Tamper Lad   Email Tamper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Aparo is to Batman is what Swan is to Superman.

[ July 21, 2005, 06:13 AM: Message edited by: Tamper Lad ]

From: Canada | Registered: Apr 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh no!!!!

How old was Jim Aparo?

He did a very nice Aquaman, too...*sniff*

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
Aparo did a *GREAT* Aquaman! His run on Arthur in Adventure Comics during the infamous death of Aquababy period was when I first became exposed to his art and I've loved it ever since.

He was born to draw Brave and Bold too! He not only drew the definitive Batman but had such a good take on all the rest of the DCU as well.

Interestingly, long before I knew who any members of the Legion of Super-Heroes were, it was small image by Jim Aparo that made me curious about them. I think it was for one of those DC Specials of the the 70s or something and seemed to be an issue all about natural disasters. The picture anyway was of an earthquake about to bring down some buildings on top of Timber Wolf and a couple of other Legionnaires. All it took was that one simple image by Aparo and it started me on the road to being the Legion fan I am today.

Rest in peace Mr Aparo.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by legionadventureman:
Oh no!!!!

How old was Jim Aparo?

He did a very nice Aquaman, too...*sniff*

quote:
Originally posted by Pov:

Mr. Aparo was THE Bat-artist for me. Bar none. And 72 is too young.

Rest in peace, Mr. Aparo.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Blacula, that cover image featured Timber Wolf, Phantom Girl and Chemical King-- EARTH SHATTERING DISASTER, I believe it was called.

Oddly, published after Condo's death, iirc.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

legionadventureman
Legionnaire

Icon 1 posted      Profile for legionadventureman   Email legionadventureman         Edit/Delete Post     
I remember the death of Aquababy (Arthur Jr.?)

Positively the most chilling image anybody could render in comics at that time.

Mera (and Aquaman, natch,) went a little "nuts" after that, didnt they. Did Black Manta get his in the end?

From: Adelaide, Australia | Registered: Jun 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:
Blacula, that cover image featured Timber Wolf, Phantom Girl and Chemical King-- EARTH SHATTERING DISASTER, I believe it was called.

iirc? Lash, u sound as if you have a bad case of indigestion...what the eff is an iirc?
Beagz
5 of 9

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Beagz   Email Beagz         Edit/Delete Post     
If I Recall/Remember Correctly

(Or at least it sorta fits.)

--------------------
You can never quit believiing in your dreams ... or yourself.
-----
You GOTTA listen to Levi Kreis.

From: Aggieland | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by MLLASH:

Actually, Lash, the cover of DC SPECIAL #28 features T-wolf, PG and Brainy... and it's drawn by Al Milgrom:

Click for fullsize image

The image Blacky's remembering is probably from the first page of that comic, though... a triptych-style splash page by Aparo, each running top to bottom for 1/3rd of the page. The third panel features the three Legionnaires from the cover.

I seem to remember that same image also being in DC's house ads for that issue.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
legionadventureman
Legionnaire

thanx Beagz, at least it wasnt tmi!

TTFN!

MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Thanks for the image, Povvins. i DEFinitely remember Condo being featured a player in the story, though he apparently didn't rate a cover appearance. *choke!*

--------------------

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.