Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION COMPANION » Dr. Gym'll's Cultural Rarities » Nightwing raped, Flannel Lass contemplating murder (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   
Author Topic: Nightwing raped, Flannel Lass contemplating murder
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
I am having a very hard time thinking of a reason not to find Devin Grayson and set her fire for dealing so flippantly with such a serious issue as rape, not to mention making the main character of a book take backseat to character that is so obviously a Mary Sue. If the current story in the Nightwing books were a fanfic, people would be ripping it to shreds. It pains me that this is the published book, and that a writer can intend to spend 10 months portraying any hero, much less the character of Dick Grayson, as a weak-willed, submissive, meek, dominated worm. At least I can avoid fanfics where a beloved character gets tortured and raped by thinly-veiled self-representations; that this can happen in the canon book feels like a betrayal. It makes me physically ill. Never has anything in a comic book made me so angry, or so frustrated.
From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
I haven't been reading the series, FL, but it certainly does sound like a strange and unpalatable twist for such a character. If you feel strongly about this, perhaps a letter to the DC editor in question is appropriate. With message boards replacing letters, I wonder how much direct feedback the company gets - and to what extent they read any message boards.

Rape is a sad fact of life and the comic book world shouldn't necessarily be immune to it - but it's all in the portrayal. Comic sales may be down, but shock value tactics could do more to destroy than help a series.

It's a bit odd that both Identity Crisis #2 and this book are dealing with rape. Are these mature reader books?

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Devin was such a huge Nightwing fan and seemed to have a handle of him during her TITANS run.

Anyone care to provide specific details for what Devin's been doing to the character recently?

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Okay, lessee'...

She took what were second tier villians and make them fourth or fifth instead of making them really nasty.

She has dumped a major portion of his supporting cast and not replaced them.

She killed Soames, one of his best, most truly bizarre enemies.

She burned down Haly' Circus.

She blew up his apartment building.

She made him an ineffectual person, a waffler.

She had him stand by and watch as Tarantula killed Blockbuster (supposedly) with a bullet to the head.

She had him not take her into custody.

She had him instead fall apart on the roof of the building and have Tarantula rape him while he layed there with only feeble protests.

She had them run off somewhere, with copperhead showing up, and had him almost marry Tarantula, on to get a call from batman for the Wars crossover. He ran off smiling.

Oh, they had some cock and bull breakup with Babs as well.

I know it is a staple of comics that the hero is giving a truly tremendous amount of crap to angst over, but she was so heavy handed, and the portrayl's were so bad, many poster's over on NW have left the book.

Me included.

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
[Frown] Rick summed it up pretty well.

I'm holding on for #100. But I've left the book before, at the end of Dixon's run... but that was mainly because of the art. Not that I'm liking the art on the book NOW, since Pat Zircher left, but it's mainly the writing that's got me scratching my head saying "WTF?! This ain't Nightwing!" [No]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Spellbinder
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Spellbinder   Email Spellbinder         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm on the verge of dropping the title as well. Admittedly, I've always preferred Nightwing in a team book, but I was sorta enjoying his title before Devin took over. Once Dick and Babs broke up, the book lost all interest for me. I don't think I've even opened the last two or three issues that I bought.

--------------------
Some people are like slinkys: not really good for anything, but they bring a smile to your face when you knock them down a flight of stairs

From: Penthouse atop Levitz Hall, LMBP Plaza, Embassy Row, Legion World | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Is Devin taking a hatred of men (or a certain man) out on Dick? I mean, come on! This is one of the few heroes that can go toe to toe with Bats. Nightwing isn't second-rate punk like a lot of JLA back-ups. He'd have to be highly drugged or lobotomized for me to believe he put up with all of that.

And how does this affect him in the Outsiders? I have never read his own series but do sometimes pick up the Outsiders.

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Vee
Still smoooooth!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Vee   Email Vee         Edit/Delete Post     
Nightwing got berated by Jade in the most recent issue for not showing any leadership skills. Basically accused him of trying to get them killed.

So it looks as if Nightwing has been designated the current punching bag at DC.

I would have to agree with all the comments above. Dick has gone from being a super star to a slug. Don't think I'll be continuing to keep up with this one either unless something changes dramatically & quickly!

--------------------
"Hey Jim! Get Mon out of the Zone!! And...when do we get Condo back?"

From: Paragon City on patrol | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
I agree with everything said here. Nightwing is by far DC's worst comic book currently on the stands--mainly b/c it is destroying it's main character for no reason.

The only thing I'd add is that even before all this, Devin had Dick acting like some clown who couldn't take even the smallest clue from Babs that something was wrong. Since when is Dick a total uncaring, moron? Since the Tarrantula thing, he's been acting like a lost child, as if all those years under Batman and leading the Titans have made him no better a hero than Vibe or Changeling.

And Devin has killed off almost his *entire* supporting cast. Including the golden age Tarrantula!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Hey, I'll tolerate no Gar bashing on my watch! [Big Grin]

Maybe this isn't Dick? Maybe the real Dick was kidnapped and this is really Jason Todd. Yeah, that's the ticket!

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Flannel Lass
soft, warm, fluffy!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Flannel Lass   Email Flannel Lass         Edit/Delete Post     
Jason Todd is beefier. Also, he has a white streak in his bangs. They've been dropping hints that the adult Jason Todd we see Clayface emulate in the Hush story might be around for real - like finding his mask, and like his body being missing.

As for the break up with Babs, that was orchestrated by Tarantula, too - although I don't think Babs would really abandon him at such a rough time. I also don't believe that Bruce would not have contacted him after Haly's Circus burned down with him there, etc.

Even more than what is happening in the books, though, it's Devin's attitude towards it all that boils my blood. She has said that Dick Grayson is a person who will "fight you or fuck you" - does that sound like the brilliant-in-his-own-right detective-trained-by-Batman to you? Devin is ignoring 20 years of character development. She says she's writing this so he'll come into his own. He already has, and I frankly don't see how breaking him will do it again!

And since the book doesn't have a mature rating, while it was obvious that Tarantula fucked Dick, and it was obvious that he said no (dialogue bubble: "No"), not 100% of the readers got it - certainly the guys at Wizard Magazine didn't, because they asked if Babs (Oracle, formerly Batgirl, jfyi) would forgive him for what happened with Tarantula, and she said "Well, condsidering it was rape, I think she'll forgive him." This - she's just disrespectful - not just of Dick, but of anyone who has ever had to deal with the effects of rape in their lives, by being so flippant. It's ignorant.

From: the palace garden of the Lord of the Red Lands. | Registered: Jul 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
matlock
Advisory

Icon 1 posted      Profile for matlock   Email matlock         Edit/Delete Post     
Hasn't Dick Grayson "come into his own" or "emerged from Batman's shadow" enough times already? Going all the way back to the 70's when he went off to college? I can't say I've really followed the character lately, but I always liked it when he was portrayed as sort of having the skills of Batman but with social skills added in.

Oh and one question: a "Mary Sue" is when a writer uses a dummy character to inject themselves into a fanfic right?

[ July 30, 2004, 11:55 AM: Message edited by: matlock ]

From: Douglasville, GA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Fat Cramer
Rich and flaky

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Fat Cramer   Email Fat Cramer         Edit/Delete Post     
REBOOT!!!

--------------------
Holy Cats of Egypt!

From: Café Cramer | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Or at least have Dick wake up, walk in to the bathroom with Barbara and say, "I just had the weirdest dream!" [Smile]

Bludhaven's near Dallas, right? [Wink]

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by matlock:
Oh and one question: a "Mary Sue" is when a writer uses a dummy character to inject themselves into a fanfic right?

Precisely.

Often said character will end up being dominant throughout, saving everybody's lives, having relationships with the main characters, you get the idea. Sometimes the Mary Sue even gets killed off, which leads to everyone standing and crying about how great he or she really was.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.