Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » Where am I? (Part II) (Page 87)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 132 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  130  131  132   
Author Topic: Where am I? (Part II)
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I am not in the western half of Canada.

I am not in Iqaluit.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Are you in Nunavut?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I am in Nunavut.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Are you in Rankin Inlet?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I am not in Rankin Inlet.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Are you in Baffin Island?

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I am not on Baffin Island.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Are you on Ellesmere Island?

--------------------

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

I am on Ellesmere Island.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Are you in Grise Fiord?

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

No, but I could tell you stories about it...
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Please do, it sounds like an intriguing place.

Are you in Eureka?

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

not Eureka. I'll comment more on Gris Fjord tomorrow. Gonna hit the hay for the eve.
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Are you in Alert, then?

Can't wait, and I'm especially curious to know what you did there!

Sweet dreams Kent!

--------------------

Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Alert it is! Northernmost permanent settlement n the world!

Ibby, I've never been to Grise Fjord, actually; I just know of it from studies.

It was founded in the 1950s as a forced relocation of Inuit in order to have a settlement on Ellesmere during the Cold War, to strengthen Canada's claim to the island (and to the far north in general). Bureaucrats in Ottawa decided it was a good idea, assuming all arctic habitat was alike and interchangeable, so they asked an Inuit band to move there, promising fresh hunting opportunities and resources to get going - and passage back if they didn't like it. Both promises came up short.

Ellesmere had none of the land or sea resources the Inuit were used to, and there was virtually nothing to support the population, in far harsher conditions than they expected or knew how to deal with. Ottawa decided the Inuit were just refusing to adapt and got too accustomed to the provided resources, so they cut them off - while also requiring those who did want to move back to where they were had to reimburse the government for their travel expenses. With nothing profitable to hunt/sell, little to eat, the community was stuck there and virtually starving or at least malnourished. It took decades to adapt, at a cost of many lives. At times, Ottawa only lived up to its assistance promise once a nearby American cold war air base learned of the Inuit plight.

This topic comprises 132 pages: 1  2  3  ...  84  85  86  87  88  89  90  ...  130  131  132   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.