Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 69)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
No to both. So at this point I will give a clue that should really make this easier. Part of his name refers to music, indicating the way he would smash his instrument on someones head every issue.
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Man, I've no clue! Except maybe "Banjo" was part of his name? Sounds like an appropriate motif somehow! Was there a Banjo Bill?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Well, it doesn't seem to be any of the features from DC's major Western titles, so I'm at a loss, too.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Jeepers! You guys had me doubting myself, so I went back and double-checked and no one has gotten it.

I say doubting myself because this character did indeed have his own feature in one of DC's major western titles in the era between Golden Age and Silver Age! This ongoing feature ran about 8 pages!

(There was no Banjo Bill--but there SHOULD HAVE BEEN!)

I guess one more round of guesses and then I just ask another more obscure, harder question?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
So it wasn't even a banjo? [Frown]

Oh well...when I start making up characters, it's time for me to bow out! It was fun, though!

--------------------

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Here's the page I used for reference, btw. Pretty sure your dude's not on there.

Silly Wikias!

[ August 20, 2010, 02:34 PM: Message edited by: Chief Taylor ]

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Well, there's a few people that haven't been guessed, but unless I'm missing something obvious, no one is jumping out at me as the answer.

So, I'll try... Foley of the Fighting 5th?

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Not Foley, who is also a unique feature. I feel like you're on the cusp.
Eryk Davis Ester

Well, I've looked at every issue of All-Star Western and Western Comics on the GCD, and I'm not coming up with it.

I give up.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

There's one more western title from DC in the 50's that started as a superhero title and became a war title. Therein lies your answer.
Eryk Davis Ester

And the answer is Minstrel Maverick.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Yessir. [Yes]

Running in All-American Western (previously All-American Comics starring Green Lantern, the Atom and others, and later All-American Men at War starring Gunner & Sarge), Minstrel Maverick was a little known back-up feature with very little written about him on the Internet these days.

He's got a groovy write up somewhere online, I'll link to it when I'm not on my phone.

Eryk Davis Ester

I'd completely forgotten about All-American Western, but once I looked at it, it popped right out! [Wink]
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

He's actually on that list I linked as "Hank Hayes (New Earth)"! Damn, that Wikia site's a MESS! The "New Earth" part implies he's appeared or been referenced in current 'official' post-IC DC continuity as that site works. Didn't even click on it because Cobie said he's pre-Silver Age or what-not. Oh, wellz....

(Is it possible he's made a cameo in Jonah Hex's current book at some point to get the "New Earth" designation?)

--------------------

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

I'm pretty sure the wikipedia site is wrong. I've been aware of Minstrel Maverick for several years as one of those obscure characters I'm fascinated by. So I would have noticed if he showed up in Hex (which would have only been as a background cameo) and I even checked James Robinson's Starman for a possible mention of him. He's about as obscure as they get!

I first learned about him through the "Mike's Amazing World" website of DC indexes here: http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=2160. A few years later I found this cool write-up: http://www.dcindexes.com/database/comic-details.php?comicid=2160

I don't own any comics with him in them, but I want to! (As far as I know, he only ever appeared in All-American Western).

This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  66  67  68  69  70  71  72  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.