Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 60)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
If I read the clue correctly, the character's first name is Leviticus. But I have no idea who such a character might be. Could the character go by Levi or some other derivative? (I'm not asking Eryk for confirmation; I'm just throwing out ideas to see if they stick.)

--------------------
The Semi-Great Gildersleeve - writing, super-heroes, and this 'n' that

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
I guess the 'three' reference could signify the book of Numbers, if that helps anyone else.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Hmm... maybe the implication isn't as obvious as I thought.

Three major political parties in Finland. The character is associated with one of them. Now what you should be asking yourself is...

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Blackhawk?
From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for He Who Wanders   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Eryk: It's funny to read your unfinished question followed by your sig at the bottom.

[LOL]

--------------------

From: The Stasis Zone | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

Blackhawk's first name was Bart, IIRC.

I know nothing about the political parties of Finland and a quick check to Wikipedia produced no associations.

--------------------

Eryk Davis Ester

Not Blackhawk.

I'll spell it out. The character is part of a famous trio.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Summarizing clues so far:

The character is part of famous trio, which are well-known enough in Finland to be used to symbolize the political parties there; and he is most famously known by a name derived from a famous military figure, though his real first name is that of one of the books of the Pentateuch.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Bluto/Brutus?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Nope, though there's a character closely connected to the answer who dresses a bit like Bluto and his nemesis.
Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
This is a total guess, and I have no idea where the Bible comes into this, but.....Dewey Duck.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

The correct answer is indeed Deuteronomy Duck, better known as "Dewey", of Huey, Dewey, and Louie.

The character's full name was first revealed on Carl Barks' Duck Family Tree (which I believe was first published in the 80s?).

The name "Dewey" also derives from Admiral Dewey, hero of the Battle of Manilla.

The Duck family is freakishly popular in Scandanavia (a fact which apparently isn't as well-known as I thought), which is part of why the three main Finnish political parties are sometimes referred to as "Huey, Dewey, and Louie", in reference from the fact that they are indistinguishable except for the colors associated with them (red, green, and blue, like the ducks).

He Who Wanders
Light on my feet.

I thought the answer might be Donald Duck-related, but all I could think of was Scrooge McDuck. [Embarrassed]

--------------------

Outdoor Miner
Vote for Gates!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Outdoor Miner           Edit/Delete Post     
I'd never seen that Family Tree, so I had no idea about Dewey's full name.

After I finished wracking my brain trying to think of famous trios from mythology, I figured that any political references were likely to be sarcastic. That's when it came to me, since I recall the Duck nephews being used similarly when I was a kid. I knew who Huey was named for; Louie didn't seem to work in context.

--------------------
Legion World's Badwill Ambassador

From: A Huge, Pulsating, Ever-Expanding Chicken Heart | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I figured people would hone in on "Leviticus" and "Levi" as the most obvious book that would work as a name.

This was my second question in a row about cartoon ducks, so I was hoping the pattern didn't give me away.

This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  57  58  59  60  61  62  63  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.