Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 47)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Batman and Hugo Strange?
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Wonder Woman and Ares?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
Batman and Doctor Death

--------------------
I want to be hated by lies
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement
http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=373120795632&ref=mf

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Captain America and the Red Skull?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Sarcasm Kid:I
Batman and Doctor Death

I think SK's got it, unless there's a recurring Sandman villain or something.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Quislet, Esq.:
Captain America and the Red Skull?

Though Cobie isn't completely explicit in his question, I think he meant DC characters, Quis:

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:

Superman was the first protagonist at DC to have a recurring nemesis in his feature, which was the Ultra-Humanite. Who was the second protagonist to have a nemesis who recurred (meaning an enemy who returned for a 2nd appearance), and to show off how smart you really are, who was that nemesis?

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Anyway, Captain America and the Red Skull weren't introduced until '41, well after many of the other guesses!
Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I agree, by the way, that Sarky's probably right, after researching Doctor Death. Even though he only appeared in consecutive issues of Detective Comics (29 & 30) before disappearing for over 40 years, DD qualifies as having had a second appearance. Unless Cobie has someone else who trumps this.

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Hmm... I thought there were couple of issue between DD's appearances. It's been awhile since I've read the Batman Archives, but I'm sure he's the first recurring Batman villain, and appeared before most of DC's other heroes, so he sounds likely.
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sarcasm Kid   Author's Homepage   Email Sarcasm Kid         Edit/Delete Post     
DD was indeed Batman's first re-occurring enemy.

Detective #27: Batman's first appearance.
#28: The jewel thieves story.
#29-30: Doctor Death.
#31-32: The Monk and Dala.

[ June 30, 2010, 05:15 PM: Message edited by: Sarcasm Kid ]

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

From: Bronx, NY | Registered: Nov 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

I *knew* the Monk was really early!
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

I've had Batman Archives Vol.1 since I was 12.

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Hm. I guess SK has it right but in my mind, that is all actually one story in Detective #29 and #30, so that wasn't actually what I had in mind, since #30 picks up right after #29 where Batman learns Dr. Death may still be alive. But some time has elapsed between the two stories, so I guess you could say it is two different, stand alone stories.

So I guess, SK wins! Which means that actually, this predates the Ultra-Humanite's 2nd appearance of Oct 1939, making Dr. Death the actual first recurring villain.

The character I had in mind was Tex Thompson. His major nemesis in the Golden Age was the Gorrah, who was like one of Indiana Jones enemies. The Gorrah appeared early on (Action #3?) but then also recurred in the very same issue of Action that the Ultra-Humanite recurred, #17 in Oct 1939, so he's only after the U-H by technicality since he's later in the issue.

But I'll give it to SK! Well done and great memory of the early Batman stories!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sarcasm Kid
Bring Back Lian Harper

Thank you.

My question:

In Kingdom Come, a number of characters had been modeled after real life people.

Who were... 666 and the Joker's Daughter modeled after?

--------------------
-
Bring Back Lian Harper

Join the movement

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Shirley Manson of Garbage and Trent Renzor of Nine Inch Nails?

(I wanted to say Marilyn Manson but I kind of remember 666 being more rugged looking).

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  44  45  46  47  48  49  50  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.