Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The "Know Your Legion Worlders!" Game! (Page 29)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 166 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  164  165  166   
Author Topic: The "Know Your Legion Worlders!" Game!
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
The failiure of the Impact Comics line!

As a long time fan of the Fly, the Comet, and the Shield, you were DEVASTATED to see it done in a shabby way that ultimately resulted in the kinda weird Crucible story and the subsequent cancellation of the line!

Tell me I'm right [Smile] !

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
Then I guess that leaves B for me.

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Valor the M'Onell
Anything but a marvel

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Valor the M'Onell   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll just go with um D
From: Australia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Eryk Davis Ester:
C?

WE HAVE A WINNAH!!

The full list:

10: J) The cancellation of The Legion
Knowing that the Legion will be coming back within a couple of months, and in a form I suspect I am likely to enjoy even more, this cancellation really bothers me the least of anyting on the list.

9: A) The collapse of CrossGen comics
I am sorry to see El Cazador put on hiatus, but that is the only CG title I have ever purchased. So, apart from feeling bad for all the talent hat went unpaid, I could more or less care less.

8: B) The failure of Atlas Comics/ Seaboard Publ.
This is something that bothers me, but only in an after-the-fact manner. As a kid, I had picked up Hands of the Dragon #1, and really liked it. Marvel & DC was all I bought at the time. The only other publisher who put out books at the time that I might have liked was Charlton, but their books just looks so cheap. Atlas, howeve, has an anomoly. For the longest time I scoured every newsstand I could find for another issue of HotD, or even another Atlas Comics. I never found one. Years later I learned the true story. I have always sort of wished the publisher had laster, but there is one think to be tankful for. Today, I hgave managed to accumlates almost all of the 70-some odd issues published.

7: H) The failure of the Impact! Comics line
This is another one that more bothers me after-the-fact. At a time when comics where all grim 'n gritty, I had opes that the Impact line would take off. Still, apart from The Fly, I did not love most of the book. I had always thought that the books would have been more successful on the newsstand to bring young, casual readers into the fanbase. It was only later, after the line had been dead a few years, when I learned that a newsstand focus had been the original intent, but that TPTB at DC had nixed that idea. By following the normal direct market distribution system, the Impact! line was really DOA from teh outset.

6: D) The failure to print ALL Legion appearances in the Archive series
Now we are genuinely getting into areas that trylu bothered me. I have always been incensed that some fairly significant Legaion appearances were left out of the Archive series, simply overlooked. It also amazes me that ADV 371 made the cut, being an earlier Superboy reprint with the Legion pasted into 2 panels. That's one reason I stopped buying the Legion Archives (with #5) and now concentrate my Archive buying dollars on The Spirit.

5: G) The transfer of Marvel's Micronauts and Moon Knight to direct sales only distribution.
VERY dissapointing to me at the time. I was a pretty big fan of both books, but at the time the nearest comcis shop to me was more than 75 miles away, and I did not yet have my drover's license. For Marvel, taking this books to direct sales simply meant losing me as a reader. Can it come as a surprise that neither book laster long thereafter?

4: I) The rise of the direct distribution system
Devestating for the reasons mentioned above. Even today, the nearest comics shop is some 30 miles away from my home. I think there are only a half dozen or so shops in my entire State. I have always lamented the end result of the concentration on the direct market, to loss of the casual reader and the self contained story to fixate on agin fanboys and convuluted continuity.

3: F) Crisis on Infinate Earths, and the end of the multiverse.
Loved the series, hated the result. I have alwasy felt that DC was right to update the characters, nd jettison some of the baggage, but rather than shoehorning all of the multiverse into one universe, they should have just left everything as was an moved their foucs to a new Earth. That way, E-1 would still be there, to be visited once and awhile, and we would have avoided much of the later continuity messes.

2: E) The direct sales/ newsstand division of the Legion & the New Teen Titans.
As with #5 above, except that instead of liking these two books, I LOVED them!! Also, at the time I felt slapped in the face by the whole transition from newsstand to direct sales. Even though I was grateful that I was still getting something, instead of losing my books entirely as with #5, I was aware enough of the fan press at that time to know that I was missing the "real" series.

1. C) The "DC Implosion"
I can't even begin to explain how much this efected me. I was HUGH into DC in 1978. I think I was around 10 or eleven at the time, the real GOLDEN AGE of comics readership. I saw the ads for the ADC Explosion and MAN, was I EXCITED! But then... nothing. Moreever, some of my favorite books began disapearing, righ in mid-story. I was used to the vageries of newsstand disrtubution, but usually by riding my bike around to enough stores, I could find al the books I wanted. But here, nothing, and I had no real way to know that the boks never came out, I had thought that probably other kids were as excited about the new books as me and were getting to the newsstands ahead of me. I spent an entire summer searching in vain for the concluding chapters to the JSA/Freedom Fighters/Secret Society cross-over. I did get Black Lightning #11, with the Ray back-up, and since it alluded to that story I naturally assumed it came out. Even years of lurking around flea markets and used books stores that sold old comics never turned up the books I was searching for. All I knew was that my DC books and suddenly, at the very zenith of my young comics collecting enthusiasm, become smaller and somehow less exciting. Only later did I learn of the infamous DC implosion. Had things happened differently, if the explosion had come, I might enjoy comics just a bit more than I do today. Sadly, since 1978 there has always been just a touch of cynisism tucked away in the back of my collecting soul.

[ May 27, 2004, 08:27 AM: Message edited by: Obadiah Oldbuck ]

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Portfolio Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Portfolio Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
[Bump]
So, next question to you EDE.

From: Sumner, ME | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Invisible Brainiac
Unseen, not unheard.

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Invisible Brainiac           Edit/Delete Post     
[Bump]

--------------------
Loss: How does the galaxy cope w/o the Postboot Legion?

Titans Idol - vote for your favorite Titans members!

From: Wouldn't you like to know? | Registered: Oct 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
Melting Meteorites! I'll have to come up with a question.
From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

....eventually
Eryk Davis Ester

Oh... okay.

I share something in common with two of these posters that I don't share with the third. Which one doesn't belong?

a. LARDLAD
b. CJ
c. Obadiah Oldbuck

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
I'll guess c. Obadiah Oldbuck

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Portfolio Boy
Deputy

I'll guess me too... I've never belonged anywhere. [Mad]
capt._dallas
Co-Creator/Writer: Omega Chase

Icon 1 posted      Profile for capt._dallas           Edit/Delete Post     
I'll guess "B"

--------------------
Omega Chase, available in stores in September: http://th3rdworld.com/comics.php

From: Long Island, NY | Registered: Apr 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Quis and Obadiah are right!

And what do we have in common?

The same last name!

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Dammit, I knew that one! I should have checked [Smile] !

I once thought EDE and Lardy were brothers! EDE kept telling me they were the same guy, until I finally bothered him so much, he revealed the truth! The moral? Pestering EDE always produces benefits!

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

MLLASH once spent months thinking I was an alt-ID of LARDLAD!
  This topic comprises 166 pages: 1  2  3  ...  26  27  28  29  30  31  32  ...  164  165  166   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.