Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » Name Three (Page 18)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 113 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  111  112  113   
Author Topic: Name Three
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Quis was correct for mine. I was also thinking of Berlin as a 4th option.
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Matthew E
Suprmetrician

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Matthew E   Author's Homepage   Email Matthew E         Edit/Delete Post     
I don't think New York or Washington do. New York has La Guardia and Kennedy, but while they may treat Newark as a New York airport, really it's a Newark airport. Washington has Dulles and Reagan, but I haven't heard of a third. Am I right about this?

Edited: I guess I am not.

--------------------
Legion Abstract

From: Ontario | Registered: Feb 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
And because we went to a new page:

Name three things that were named for real people but most people don't realize it. ex: boycott was named after Captain Charles Boycott, an estate agent in Ireland.

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

zeppelin, named for Ferdinand Von Zeppelin

guillotine, for Joseph-Ignace Guillotin

pasteurization, for Louis Pasteur

(broccoli is sometimes incorrectly attributed to the Broccoli family of James Bond movie fame. likewise, to my suprise, Thomas Crapper's invention of the toilet appears to be an urban legend)

I'll wait for Quis' word, in case some of these are more commonly known than I believe.

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Matthew, Newark IS a New York airport, run by the Port Authority of NY/NJ, just as JFK and LaGuardia are. Many major metro areas have airports within other municipalities - or even states. The primary traffic to EWR is not necause of Newark city - it's because of NY.

Also, W-DC's third airport is Baltimore-Washington International.

Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Kent of your three the only one I might not accept would be pasteurization. I think Pasteur is still commonly known and it is commonly known that that is where the word comes from. But you go for the next three.

FYI. The term for a word that comes from a person's name is an eponym.

Some others: sandwich from the Earl of Sandwich, July from Julius Ceasar, Leotard from Jules Leotard, poinsettia from Joel Roberts Poinsett, sideburns from Gen. Ambrose Burnside, and silhouette from Étienne de Silhouette

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Name three seas directly connected to the Mediterranean Sea.
Rockhopper Lad
Kills Threads Dead

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Rockhopper Lad   Author's Homepage   Email Rockhopper Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
Aegean
Adriatic
Black

Name three edible flowers

--------------------
The only character in all of literature who has been described as "badnass" while using the phrase "vile miscreant."

From: The Pyngwyn Colonies of Planet Hyustyn | Registered: Aug 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
The Ionian, The Aegean, and the Tyrrhenian Seas

If I'm right, name three other names Dr. Johnny Fever used on WKRP in Cincinnatti.

If I'm not than (the encarta atlas is wrong) But I'll just say... Never Mind.

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

LAL is correct. The Black Sea is not directly connected; the Balck is connected to the Aegean, which in turn is connected to the Med.
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Caravella, Sunshine, and...um...crap..I'd have to research to get more...
From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Language Arts Dave
searching...

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Language Arts Dave   Email Language Arts Dave         Edit/Delete Post     
Two out of many Lance, think about the disco show he did on TV, "Gotta Dance!"

--------------------
All you need is Love (and a whole big bucket of Money).

From: Lost in the Ozone Again | Registered: Dec 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
I finally looked it up. Another was Johnny Cool. I can't believe I remembered 2 of them without research! It's been many years since I have seen that show...

"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!"

Anyway, I'll post something as soon as I think of it...

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Ok, here we go...

Name 3 actors who were on Buffy as major characters who have since appeared on Alyson Hannigan's show, "How I Met Your Mother." (By major character, I mean someone who had a speaking part on several episodes.)

lancesrealm
amiable

OK, apparently some hints are needed. 2 of the characters appeared mainly in season 3, and the other appeared mostly in seasons 6 and 7.
  This topic comprises 113 pages: 1  2  3  ...  15  16  17  18  19  20  21  ...  111  112  113   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.