Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 115)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Jillikers!

Ike?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester
Created from the Cosmic Legends of the Universe!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Eryk Davis Ester           Edit/Delete Post     
The JSAers may have liked Ike, but he isn't the answer!

HINT: This is someone who appears twice in the first two years of JSA stories!

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
Churchill?

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Quislet, Esq
Great Calamity Kittens!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Quislet, Esq   Email Quislet, Esq         Edit/Delete Post     
Black Canary?

--------------------
Five billion years from now the Sun will go nova and obliterate the Earth. Don't sweat the small stuff!

From: Boston | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Neither Chuchill not the Canary!

HINT: The role this person play in the JSA stories is to set them on particular cases.

From: Liberty City | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KryptonKid   Author's Homepage   Email KryptonKid         Edit/Delete Post     
JE Hoover?

--------------------
~Integritas~

From: Bgtzl Proper | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

Bingo!

Technically, it's an unnamed "FBI Chief", but presumably it's supposed to be FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover (and I believe Roy Thomas made it explicitly Hoover when retelling these early stories).

Hoover was made an "associate member" in All-Star Comics #9.

Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Inza Cramer (Dr. Fate's girlfriend/future wife)?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Who was Major Malcolm Wheeler-Nicholson and what was his innovation?

[Plaid Lad]

--------------------
~Integritas~

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

The Major is basically the founder of DC Comics (the National Periodical Publications portion of it), before Harry Donenfeld swindled him out of it. There is no one clear company he founded because it actually went through about 8 name changes everytime he went out of business, but "Detective Comics, Inc" is the one most know.

He was also a cartoonist himself. He oversaw the creation of More Fun Comics, (originally New Fun), Adventure Comics and Detective Comics.

He was purposely phased out by Donnenfeld and Liebowitz beginning DC's long legacy of dirty business.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Eryk Davis Ester

quote:
Originally posted by Cobalt Kid:
He was also a cartoonist himself. He oversaw the creation of More Fun Comics,

Which suggests that his major innovation was the creation of comic books with all original material, rather than just reprinting newspaper strips.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Ah yes, that too. The reason? He couldn't afford to pay the licenses fees. Which is also why every DC comic lost money until Action Comics #1, which changed everything.
KryptonKid
Khyddae Kryptoneum

Wow, Cobie, your encyclopedic knowledge of DC history blew me away. EDE got the innovation, so normally I probably would have given it to him, but Cobalt Kid's insight into the whole situation actually taught me something, which I love.

It is open to Eryk Davis Ester and Cobalt Kid, whomever gets a question up first.

[Bouncing Boy - Animated]

--------------------
~Integritas~

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Thanks! Comic book history, specifically DC's early days, is something fascinated by. (And Eryk is also quite knowledgable on the topic).

Here's one thats kind of related: More Fun Comics, the original DC series was cancelled in 1948-1949. It's believed this is not because of sales but because of what reason?

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
It just wasn't fun anymore? [Smile]

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  112  113  114  115  116  117  118  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.