Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 106)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Thanks guys. I'm glad you resisted the temptation to spoil. It was fun posing a question about a topic that most people seemed familiar with but just couldn't get the right answer to.

I was definitely running out of ideas for clues though (I think I was only about 1 clue away from saying "His initials are B.S." [LOL] ). And with Uni starting again next week I needed this question answered soon - which is why I amended the older clues to make them a lot easier to identify him.

I'd love to hear from Gaiman about why he chose to use that particular character in his story that way. I couldn't find any info online. Does anyone have Absolute Sandman? Is Black Spider mentioned in the annotations in there (if they have them?)? Or know of any Sandman annotation websites that might mention it?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
quote:
Originally posted by Blacula:
Not The Wrath, Exnihil, but good guess.

But someone does finally put me out of my misery and get the answer (it was getting harder and harder to come up with those clues) -

Well done Kent! It was the Batman-villain Black Spider, otherwise known as Eric Needham, who briefly dated Lyta Hall at the end of Neil Gaiman's Sandman run!

(Did you work it out from the clues or did you have to look it up?)

the revised clues did inspire an epiphany - the 70s descriptions and connecting it to Lyta's date. Black Spider had once been a bat-villain I'd really liked way back when, but had forgotten about until now.

So with that epiphany, I did a quick google to see that there had been more than one Black Spider, and see the name Eric Needham (which I wasn't 100% sure was the Sandman character I was thinking of. It sounded familiar, but I wasn't sure) made me comfortable guessing. I didn't look to see if all the other details fit.

great Q! and annoying in that I thought I knew all the Easter Eggs Neil threw at us, and had never heard of that one!

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
This site has good Sandman annotations, and does not recognize Eric as the Black Spider.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com
Legion-Reference-File Lad

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

The murder of Ben Williams inspired what hero to become a costumed vigilante?

(extra credit: who killed Ben Williams?)

From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

quote:
Originally posted by Chaim Mattis Keller:
This site has good Sandman annotations, and does not recognize Eric as the Black Spider.

Thanks CMK. Good site but the annotations didn't seem as exhaustive as they could have been for that book. Shame no mention of Black Spider - maybe they were just unaware? Would be good to hear what Gaiman has to say about it one day.

---

As for Kent's question, random guess - the Crimson Avenger?

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

nope!
Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
The Vigilante (another random guess)

--------------------
LSH Archives Vol.3 • Part 2

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

nope! character in question came about long after CA and the original western Vigilante, but before more recent skimask Vigilantes.
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Spider-Man?
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cobalt Kid           Edit/Delete Post     
Nemesis.

And the killer of Ben Williams was Nemesis's brother (whose name I can't recall). This is from the B&B stories, if I'm right.

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
Sounds like Cobalt Kid is pretty confident - but it would have been funny if it'd turned out to be Spider-Man, and Ben Williams had been Uncle Ben's alternate real name from some story or something

--------------------
LSH Archives Vol.3 • Part 2

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Cobie has it!

The B&B Nemesis run is an old fave of mine.

the bro was Craig Tresser, Tom (Nemesis)'s bro, who'd been brainwashed to assassinate his mentor. all 3 were government agents.

Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

Nemesis is a character I love from his Suicide Squad days so I was delighted when I learned his early stories were in B&B and got to read them.

Along similar lines, which hero was inspired by the death of Earl Clifford?

From: If you don't want my peaches, honey... | Registered: Sep 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Random guess - the Question.
Cobalt Kid
BOHICA

No sir!
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  103  104  105  106  107  108  109  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.