Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION OUTPOST » Spaceopoly » The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two (Page 105)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  ...  132  133  134   
Author Topic: The NON-LEGION comics trivia thread!!! Round two
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Dr Light?
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Man-bat?

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lancesrealm
amiable

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lancesrealm   Email lancesrealm         Edit/Delete Post     
Blacula, even though this question has been going awhile, I love how you keep giving hints to keep the thread alive and moving! My hat is off to you, sir!

(I have no idea what the answer is, btw...)

From: Cincinnati | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blacula   Email Blacula         Edit/Delete Post     
^ Thanks lancesrealm. [Smile] Honestly, I wasn't expecting to have to leave all these clues, but people are taking longer to answer this question than I was expecting. And I'd hate to be the cause of Trivia Thread Death.

---

Which Batman-villain had a brief supporting role in Neil Gaiman's Sandman?

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
Firebug
Thessaly
Blockbuster
The Spook
Dr. Light
or
Man-Bat

Clues so far -

* A specifically Batman-villain.
* Their appearance in Sandman was more of a supporting role than a cameo (but not a very big one).
* Never appeared 'in costume' (though they do normally wear one).
* Not only did they never appear 'in costume', no mention of their other identity or the fact that they are a villain (let alone a Batman-villain) was ever made. Thus, if you didn't know that X was the secret identity of Y, you probably wouldn't have known that this was a Batman-villain you were reading about.
* Before their appearance in Sandman, this character had been "dead" in the then-current DCU for a number of years. Ever since then they've been "alive", with no in-DCU continuity explanation why - leaving fans (and Wikipedia) to assume that they had been one of the sinners shown escaping from Hell when Lucifer abdicated his throne a few issues earlier.
* This character first appeared in the 1970s.
* 3 different characters have fought Batman under this identity. The one who appeared in Sandman is the original (and current-again I think) wearer of the disguise.
* Their appearance in Sandman was as someone's love interest.
* Comics this character has appeared in include Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Shadow of the Bat, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Origins, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Identity Crisis, Salvation Run, Villains United, Who's Who, Underworld Unleashed, JLA, JSA, Superman/Batman, Secret Six, Gotham Central and, of course, Sandman.

New clue -

* Even though this character is traditionally a "villain" of Batman's, their goals/objectives are actually the same as his - but their modus operandi is what brings them into conflict with the Bat-family.

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Future
The Present is Past

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Future           Edit/Delete Post     
Killer Moth?
Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
stuorstew
Active

Icon 1 posted      Profile for stuorstew   Email stuorstew         Edit/Delete Post     
Catman?
From: Dorset, England | Registered: Oct 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
Found the answer through research as well. I don't think I've personally ever read a story where this character was the main villain, though I have heard of them. Mainly from one of those "Daily Planet" in-house ads back in the 1970's that focused on a story of Batman vs. this baddie.

--------------------
LSH Archives Vol.3 • Part 2

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller
Legion-Reference-File Lad

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Reaper?

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Which Batman-villain had a brief supporting role in Neil Gaiman's Sandman?

Not -

Two-Face
Mad Hatter
Scarecrow
Rose & Thorn
Dr. Destiny
Hugo Strange
Catwoman
The "Funland" Killer
Calendar Man
Poison Ivy
Riddler
Cluemaster
Penguin
Calculator
Mr Freeze
Dr. Death
Gorilla Boss of Gotham
Clayface
Firebug
Thessaly
Blockbuster
The Spook
Dr. Light
Man-Bat
Killer Moth
Catman
or
Reaper

Instead of offering a new clue I'm going to amend some of the clues given so far -

* A specifically Batman-villain.
* Their appearance in Sandman was more of a supporting role than a cameo (but not a very big one). THEY APPEARED IN THE KINDLY ONES STORYLINE.
* Never appeared 'in costume' (though they do normally wear one). A RATHER GARISHLY-COLOURED ONE.
* Not only did they never appear 'in costume', no mention of their other identity or the fact that they are a villain (let alone a Batman-villain) was ever made. Thus, if you didn't know that X was the secret identity of Y, you probably wouldn't have known that this was a Batman-villain you were reading about.
* Before their appearance in Sandman, this character had been "dead" in the then-current DCU for a number of years. Ever since then they've been "alive", with no in-DCU continuity explanation why - leaving fans (and Wikipedia) to assume that they had been one of the sinners shown escaping from Hell when Lucifer abdicated his throne a few issues earlier. THEY HAD ORIGINALLY DIED AFTER DETONATING A BOMB STRAPPED TO THEIR BACK.
* This character first appeared in the 1970s. AND IS VERY MUCH A 1970s TYPE OF CHARACTER.
* 3 different characters have fought Batman under this identity. The one who appeared in Sandman is the original (and current-again I think) wearer of the disguise. THE SECOND ONE WAS KILLED BY CRISPUS ALLEN BEFORE HE BECAME THE SPECTRE.
* Their appearance in Sandman was as someone's love interest. SPECIFICALLY, LYTA HALL'S (BRIEF) LOVE INTEREST.
* Comics this character has appeared in include Detective Comics, Batman, Batman: Shadow of the Bat, Crisis on Infinite Earths, Secret Origins, Birds of Prey, Young Justice, Identity Crisis, Salvation Run, Villains United, Who's Who, Underworld Unleashed, JLA, JSA, Superman/Batman, Secret Six, Gotham Central and, of course, Sandman.
* Even though this character is traditionally a "villain" of Batman's, their goals/objectives are actually the same as his - but their modus operandi is what brings them into conflict with the Bat-family. THEY KILL DRUG DEALERS.

[ February 06, 2011, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Blacula ]

From: Australia | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Chaim Mattis Keller

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chaim Mattis Keller   Email Chaim Mattis Keller         Edit/Delete Post     
Sheesh. With those additional clues, I can certainly tell which character in Sandman you're referring to, but I have no idea what his costumed villain identity was.

--------------------
Chaim Mattis Keller
ckeller@nyc.rr.com

From: New York, NY, USA | Registered: Nov 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Exnihil
back in black (and white)

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Exnihil   Email Exnihil         Edit/Delete Post     
Short of actually looking up the answer, I'll try one more educated guess. I remember in the Kindly Ones, Lyta was dating her boss, a guy named Eric (or Erik).

I don't know the details of this Batman villain other than the fact that he seems to fit the "opposite number" traits of your last clue, but, was it The Wrath?

(If that's not it, I think I'm out of guesses).

--------------------
See Here for the latest update on the 2013 Chicago Gathering (now including tentative attendance list)

Registered: Feb 2008  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kent Shakespeare
Spectacled Legion

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kent Shakespeare           Edit/Delete Post     
Black Spider?
From: Vancouver, BC, Canada | Registered: Dec 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blacula
Easy

Not The Wrath, Exnihil, but good guess.

But someone does finally put me out of my misery and get the answer (it was getting harder and harder to come up with those clues) -

Well done Kent! It was the Batman-villain Black Spider, otherwise known as Eric Needham, who briefly dated Lyta Hall at the end of Neil Gaiman's Sandman run!

(Did you work it out from the clues or did you have to look it up?)

Since his other identity was never mentioned, there's some debate as to whether Gaiman was actually using the Gerry Conway-created DCU character in his book - but it would be a pretty weird coincidence if there just happened to be TWO black guys of the same age and build and appearance named Eric Needham in DC comics.

I don't think Gaiman's ever explained the usage but since Sandman drew so heavily on 70s DC concepts (Kirby Sandman, Destiny, Cain & Abel, House of Mystery, etc.) it's obvious he was very familiar with that era and maybe just had a soft-spot for the Black Spider or something?

Whatever the case, most Black Spider/Eric Needham biographies now list his resurrection in Sandman as canon.

Here are his Wikipedia and Batman-Wikia entries for people wanting to know more about him -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Spider

http://batman.wikia.com/wiki/Black_Spider

He's a cool character that I'd like to see more of actually.

Now over to you Kent.

Lard Lad
Re-empowered!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lard Lad   Email Lard Lad         Edit/Delete Post     
I discovered the answer earlier by going through a list of minor Batman villains directed from the Batman entry on Wikipedia. I clicked on every one that originated in the '70s and found him in that manner. It was such a cool, tricky question that I wanted to see how far it would go. I hope we see more of the Black Spider soon!

--------------------
"Suck it, depressos!"--M. Lash

From: The Underbelly of Society | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Xben
Deputy

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Xben   Author's Homepage   Email Xben         Edit/Delete Post     
I'd found it on that same wikipedia list, but I thought since I knew someone else had already researched it out, that it wasn't really for me to spoil. Well done, Kent.

--------------------
LSH Archives Vol.3 • Part 2

The truth set me free

From: Perth, Australia | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
  This topic comprises 134 pages: 1  2  3  ...  102  103  104  105  106  107  108  ...  132  133  134   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.