Legion World   
my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute (Page 1)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: The Uncanny Dave Cockrum Tribute
Pov
Paraplegic tree sloth that's been sedated

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Pov           Edit/Delete Post     
Looks like Aardwolf is putting together the talked-about tribute to assist with Dave's medical costs.
There's a pretty impressive list of contributors here.

And for those who don't have Futurians #0, Aardwolf's making it available also.

From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
[Embarrassed] Thanks, Brian!

I forgot to post this here.

From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I ordered one of each. Anything to help out Dave and Patty.
From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
SteveLightle
15 minutes and counting ...

Icon 3 posted      Profile for SteveLightle   Email SteveLightle         Edit/Delete Post     
When I heard about the tribute project I really wanted to contribute in some way. As it turns out, there were many talented folks in line in front of me, which should be no surprise at all.
It's only fitting that a good number of the brightest talents in the industry should be saluting Dave. This, and so much more, is owed to Dave Cockrum. He's a much respected hero and inspiration to many of us.

Steve Lightle

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
Alan Moore has joined in! Here's the latest from Silver Bullet Comics:

quote:
Alan Moore Joins Dave Cockrum Tribute

Posted: Thursday, February 12
Posted By: Jason Brice
Print This Item

"Dave Cockrum was doing great things in comics when few great things could be found," Alan Moore told Clifford Meth, editor of the forthcoming THE UNCANNY DAVE COCKRUM TRIBUTE. "I'm delighted to be part of this."

Moore joins an unusual assembly of comics legends in this landmark tribute book. Aardwolf Publishing is assembling the portfolio to directly benefit the Cockrums, who are suffering from Dave's continued hospitalization.

THE UNCANNY DAVE COCKRUM TRIBUTE includes a parade of industry legends who have donated unpublished art and new writings. In addition to Moore, contributors include Neal Adams, Bob Almond, Murphy Anderson, Sergio Aragones, Terry Austin, Dick Ayers, Mark Bagley, Charles Barnett, Al Bigley, David Boswell, Rich Buckler, Travis Charist, Chris Claremont, Gene Colan, Peter David, Alan Davis, Diane Duane, Harlan Ellison, Steve Englehart, Mark Evanier, Neil Gaiman, Ron Garney, Mike Grell, Tony Isabella, Dan Jurgens, Bill Messner-Loebs, Steve Lieber, Stan Lee, Pablo Marcus, Bob McLeod, Jerry Ordway, Tom Palmer, Mike Pascale, George Perez, John Romita, Joe Rubinstein, Marie Severin, Dave Sim, Louise Simonson, Walt Simonson, Mark Texeira, Roy Thomas, Herb Trimpe, Sal Velluto, Lee Weeks, Len Wein, and Marv Wolfman.

While Cockrum's condition has improved somewhat, he is still hospitalized with neither income, medical insurance, nor royalties from the characters he created for Marvel. Initially stricken with a severe case of double pneumonia, as well as a bacterial infection in his lungs and his blood, Cockrum continues to suffer from complications. He is being cared for at the Bronx Veterans Administration Hospital in New York.

Cockrum made his professional debut in 1973 on DC's Legion of Superheroes and became one of the last members of Marvel's legendary Bullpen where he revamped the then-canceled Uncanny X-Men. The characters he personally designed include Nightcrawler, Colossus, Storm, Mystique, Phoenix, ThunderBird, The StarJammers, and The Futurians.

To order the book or for more information, visit http://www.aardwolfpublishing.com/PR/help_dave_cockrum.htm

[ February 13, 2004, 09:59 PM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Here's the cover to the tribute:

Click for fullsize image

Thanks to All the Rage at Silver Bullet Comic Books.

Pov

Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image Click for fullsize image
From: Up a Gumtree | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I've been given a sneek peak or two at some of the art. I can't wait to own this!
From: San Diego, CA | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Everyone can get a sneek peak at the art. Just go here: http://www.cockrumtribute.com/preview.htm.

And Drake should be happy, if he scrolls all the way down the page. [Big Grin]

[ June 04, 2004, 04:44 AM: Message edited by: Nightcrawler ]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 14 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
Walt Simonson has a beautiful X-Men/Legion vs. Brood pin-up, as well. Wait until you see it.
Lightning Lad
Founder

That sounds great. So far I can't wait to see the full version of Giorgio Comolo's Lilandra and the Imperial Guard.

And I just noticed Sergio Aragones on the contributor list. That should be fun.

Chameleon Boy
World Changer

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Chameleon Boy   Author's Homepage   Email Chameleon Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
I ordered a copy and another signed issue of something else (can't remember right now) to send in my financial support well over a couple of months ago. I so look forward to it's arrival but more than that I hope that Dave pulls through all this mess. He's been in my heart and prayers for as long as I knew of this way back when I read about it at the Pulse.

Such a legend in his own time and I can not believe that Marvel is still not taking care of business by providing money or care for the man that brought to life many of the beloved characters that we all enjoy seeing in action month after month, it's really a shame!! :-(

Too bad that Steve Lightle was not able to get in line sooner to contribute but then again why would Aardwolf limit the amount of pages?? I would gladly send them more money to pay for additional pages added!!

[Chameleon Boy]

--------------------
---Changing my Personal Circle with Courage and Love---

From: RWC, CA USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Pov

Jim Lee mentioned his piece in an interview with Rich Johnston... I't sgoing to feature The Futurians! [Eek!] [Bouncing Boy]

Fan-freakin'-tastic!

The exact quote, from this week's LitG, says "a Futurians splash for the Cockrum Tribute book..." [Big Grin]

Nightcrawler
Founder

Icon 4 posted      Profile for Nightcrawler   Author's Homepage   Email Nightcrawler         Edit/Delete Post     
I got mine today! How about you?

Lot's of pretty pictures! SWEET!

Pov

Dangit! [Frown]

I won't get mine 'til around the 20th, when my mid-month shipment arrives! Oh, well, something to really look forward to!

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.