Legion World
Topic Closed  Topic Closed

my profile | directory login | search | faq | calendar | games | clips | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Legion World » LEGION CLUBHOUSE » Visionaries of Tomorrow » Steve Lightle, whats "Legion Outpost", you rascal...? (Page 2)

- Hyperpath: Email this page to someone!   This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   
Author Topic: Steve Lightle, whats "Legion Outpost", you rascal...?
Gorilla Nebula
Applicant

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Gorilla Nebula   Email Gorilla Nebula         Edit/Delete Post     
my guess is that the Legion Outpost will be an LSH Who's Who guide published to coincide with the new series relaunch. a concise guide on the members, powers, h.q., worlds, etc. for making it easy on new readers and returning old readers. all drawn by Steve Lightle {drool}. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Gorilla Nebula

From: san francisco | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
*Rickshaw1 breaks out his 70's funkadelic mirrored ball on a necklace and swings it slowly back and forth in front of Steve*

You are getting very sleepy...sleepy...sleepy...zzzzzzzz

Snort...grokkk...yawn....

sorry, what? Oh, yeah...

Steve....you are asleep in a very warm place now, quite comfy...you feel the strange desire to come to legionworld and tell all of your fans about your work on Legion Outpost....you will awaken with an incessant drive to tell all your fans everything you can about Legion outpost...and buy me a Sub-Station 2 large #19 with spicy mustard, hold the tomatos, onions and hot peppers....

--------------------
Damn you, you kids! Get off my lawn or I'm callin' tha cops!

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Kid Quislet
Vote for Mighty Mog

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Kid Quislet   Email Kid Quislet         Edit/Delete Post     
Awww, now I'M hungry!

I hope Legion Outpost turns out to be like those short stories done by Cary Bates and Dave Cockrum back in the old SLoSH days. That kind of story did more for Legionnaire character development than any of the large arcs (until Levitz).

--------------------
"My dance card was getting fuller than a contestant's at a Jandan shurg-off." - Exnihil, The Lost Klordny

From: Frederick, MD | Registered: Aug 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lightning Lad
Founder

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lightning Lad   Author's Homepage           Edit/Delete Post     
I like Gorilla's idea but think it more likely that Steve will be doing some kind of back-up. Maybe (and this is how I understand it and may be totally wrong) since Barry may need some help keeping a monthly on time, Steve is the back-up man.

Come on Steve. Just a morsel. Something to keep our strength up until the new series starts. [Smile]

From: Utah | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
googoomuck
Honorary

Icon 1 posted      Profile for googoomuck   Author's Homepage   Email googoomuck         Edit/Delete Post     
How about a non-denial denial?

--------------------
Play Stratego online at http://www.metaforge.net/webstratego/

From: Minneapolis Minnesota | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
or even a plausibly deniable post-it.
From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

Icon 1 posted      Profile for rickshaw1   Email rickshaw1         Edit/Delete Post     
Oh Stevie-pooh, where are you?

C'mon, man...you gotta give a little bit...
give a little bit of your life to us...
c'mon an' give a little bit...
give a little bit of legion outpost to us...

H'mmmm, y'know, occasionally i get stuck on words. No real reason, i just do. I once spent two hours going over the word "charleston" just running through different permutations. Possible ways of saying it, possible different reasons as to why it came about and why it was pronounced the way it was. Yeah, i know the origin of it. It was just fun to explore the word.

As i typed the first few posts on this thread, i kinda got stuck on the word "steve". It just looked like an odd word when typing it. Stevedore came to mind, etc...

Anyone else have this happen to them? And yeah, lol, i have gotten stuck on "rick" before, or as my wife's lil' cousins call it, "wick".

--------------------

Something pithy!

From: South Carolina | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
If you ever want him to answer, first, stop wheedling it out of him.

Second, remember that DC may have -- no, probably has -- instructed him not to talk for now.

Third, refrain, from ever, EVER calling him "Stevie." Only someone as close as Marianne gets to call him "Stevie."

Trust me.

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
rickshaw1
Leader

*sigh*

Okay, just in case it hasn't been made clear by the tone of the posts....

This is all tongue in cheek.

Yeah, i know that he has restictions on what he can say. half the fun is just throwing things out there in a ridiculas manner.

Who didn't think of a blonde bimbo air-head when reading "Oh Stevie-poo".

Serious i was not. Hell, i call myself Rickshaw here. The closest i ever had to a real nickname other than "rick" was "skeeter" as a nine year old for two weeks by the members of my baseball team.

Steve seems to have a pretty good sense of humor.

--------------------

Something pithy!

DrakeB3004
Even sacks of anti-energy need lovin'

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DrakeB3004           Edit/Delete Post     
I just think it's great that DC is continuing Lightle's association with the Legion -- His work is always an event. I'm greatly looking forward to his take on Wildfire in #34 and I'm sure Legion Outpost will look amazing -- Go Stevie!! -- I mean, Mr.Lightle... Steve! [Smile]
From: New York, NY | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Blockade Boy
Legionnaire!

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Blockade Boy   Email Blockade Boy         Edit/Delete Post     
Greybirdie-poo has a gene block on "tongue-in-cheek." Doesn't recognize it without help so we go easy on him that way. [Smile]

However, he does seem to claim to know that only Steve Lightle's wife can call him Stevie-poo so maybe Grey is "connected?"

From: East Toledo | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Greybird   Author's Homepage   Email Greybird         Edit/Delete Post     
You wanna know how I know? Check my Who's Who posting, and that might give you a clue.

We're not nine years of age around here. (Some intelligent pre-teenagers should be here, if the Legion concept is to have a future. But I digress.) Rickshaw may be acting with tongue in cheek, but he's also spamming the board. I'm sorry, but it's just not appropriate.

Yeah, right, I have no sense of humor, blah blah blah. Well, here's some news: As Lightle himself has announced, he's limiting his more intense fan interaction -- for the immediate future -- to his LegionUP Yahoo! Group. It isn't, I'm gathering -- as a co-moderator of that Group -- solely from being limited as to posting time.

Care to connect the dots?

No, I'm not always this cranky. (Memorial Day, and associated thoughts of waste, are part of it.) It's just that after a while, the sheer silliness does have a limit -- when it's aimed at less frequent or immersed guests.

It takes personal invitations and frequent persuasion to get some of these comics professionals to post here. Just one thread like this can drive them away. So let's be careful out there.

[ May 29, 2004, 05:14 PM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

From: Starhaven Consulate, City of Angels | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MLLASH
bite into the all-caps

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MLLASH           Edit/Delete Post     
Jeepers! This thread took a negative tone. Let's all just love each other, or pretend that we do! [Big Grin]

My guess: As I understand it, the Waid LSH will be 30 pages.

My prediction: 22-page action-heavy leads with 8-page character-driven backups called LEGION OUTPOST by Waid & Steve Lightle.

Very late-70s!

Sounds like a winner to me.

--------------------
Visit the FULL FRONTAL FANDANGO & laugh along with Lash at http://lashlaugh.wordpress.com/

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Stu
Time Trapper

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Stu   Email Stu         Edit/Delete Post     
I'm a little puzzled at Grey's reaction here.

Rick's comments aren't qualitatively different from comments numerous others have made on this board toward Barry Kitson, Steve Wacker, and others. In general, we seem to be treat creators and editors about as informally as we treat each other -- that is to say, casually, but not necessarily without respect.

I wonder if Grey takes issue with other threads on this board where people make "demands" of creators to do things that they have no obligation to do, and, thematically, are unlikely to do even if they were personally inclined. If so, I've not seen any Grey comments to that effect so far.

P.S. I always thought "Rick Shaw" could have been a real name. "Shaw," after all, isn't an uncommon surname.

P.P.S. To find distasteful a certain nickname, and to assume that anyone who's similarly named would automatically share that distaste, is a bit of a stretch.

Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Greybird
Brother of Dawnstar

{[...] Rick's comments aren't qualitatively different from comments numerous others have made on this board toward Barry Kitson, Steve Wacker, and others. }

Yes, they are. Read the first page again. Rickshaw spams a thread in the manner of a petulant child. Yes, it's shown at some length to be tongue in cheek. Yet it's also suggesting something inaccurate about the level of maturity possessed by the vast majority of those using this site.

And Lightle does come back in good humor, true enough, but Rickshaw then doesn't let up in openly begging for information.

Public trust runs both ways: People who are professionals, and don't have any shortage of ways to spend their time, aren't going to stand for very much "informal" wasting of their time. Put forward something coherent, in a paragraph or two, about why not giving details may hurt fan morale and sales -- that, they might respect. Keep squawking "Steve?" like a parrot -- that, they won't.

{ In general, we seem to be treat creators and editors about as informally as we treat each other -- that is to say, casually, but not necessarily without respect. }

Well, this showed Lightle no respect, even with his taking it -- before Rickshaw resumed -- in apparent good grace. Why should he have to respect such wheedling?

{ I wonder if Grey takes issue with other threads on this board where people make "demands" of creators to do things that they have no obligation to do, and, thematically, are unlikely to do even if they were personally inclined. If so, I've not seen any Grey comments to that effect so far. }

When you show me such a thread, where the wheedling or "demands" are in earnest, I'll comment to the same effect. I haven't seen one -- that is, where the satirical effect (such as EDE talking about a third-string Calamity King) wasn't quite obvious.

Rickshaw was showing bad manners, nearly unmodified by smilie tags, that are not anywhere near common around here. That's what I find so offensive. What if Mark Waid did pop his head in? If he saw such wheedling, would he consider the general run of us to be worth listening to? Or would he save his time for another forum?

{[...] To find distasteful a certain nickname, and to assume that anyone who's similarly named would automatically share that distaste, is a bit of a stretch. }

Any juvenile-aimed nickname can sound patronizing. As a "Steve" -- yes, that's what I link to above -- I can testify to that. The reasonable tack is to not assume that such nicknames are not offensive until someone is known extensively on a personal level. I don't believe that applies -- yet -- to any comics professional as he or she is known by anyone in this forum.

We don't take offense to Newcru's "Lashie Poo" and the like, because so many of us have known Michael for so long. And we know "Princess Crujectra" is a self-satirical send-up persona.

Rickshaw was addressing Steve Lightle, who has no such persona (or even pseudonym), in a way that was asking for an answer in earnest. And he was using childish persistence and patronizing terms, nearly unmodified by any smilie'd or similar alert to its being facetious.

I don't care if anyone continues to think I'm a humorless bastard, if you do, but these two cases are different. Disrespect can't be summarily excused simply by protesting that it's being done "tongue in cheek."

I've said all that I want to say about this, really. We shouldn't have to be exhorted to be courteous.

[ May 30, 2004, 04:11 AM: Message edited by: Greybird ]

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3   

Open Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic | Subscribe To Topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Legion World

Legion of Super-Heroes & all related proper names & images are ™ & © material of DC Comics, Inc. & are used herein without its permission.
This site is intended solely to celebrate & publicize these characters & their creators.
No commercial benefit, nor any use beyond the “fair use” review & commentary provisions of United States copyright law, is either intended or implied.
Posts made on this message board must not be reproduced without the author's consent.